Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyboro

David Haye looks like he's in Showaddywaddy

iamcoop

Horrible fight. Should never have happened.

Mobius

Yeah that was shit, a waste of time

checkoutgirl

Even boycotting the world cup wasn't enough to make me arsed enough to watch this. If he does meet Usyk I suppose you could put this down as a tune up.

DrGreggles

Was it a mandatory defence?
Can't imagine so.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 03, 2022, 11:17:19 PMWas it a mandatory defence?
Can't imagine so.

He retained it so it was on the line and I can't imagine him putting it on the table for Chisora unless it was mandatory. It feels like he's defending his belt against journeymen, picking up a few paydays while waiting for Usyk to come to him.

Once he fights Usyk he won't be fighting anyone else, unify and bow out.

DrGreggles

Didn't think Chisora would be a mandatory opponent, but you never know with boxing organisations.

Hope Chisora got a good payday - he took a lot of punishment.

rjd2

Could have bumped this for the cracker last week between Lara and Wood, but nope Jake v Tommy.

Odd one as Tommy is pretty harmless and Jake as has been documented online is trash as he is deep into crypto scams like his brother, but oddly enough I wanted Jake to win because it would have been hilarious to see the reaction of the furys if Tommy had lost.

The fight itself was poor, Tommy can make money in a rematch and KSI but he gets hurt against anyone remotely serious.

bgmnts

I know it's a different world but could you imagine a serious boxer in his early 20s taking time out to go on a reality TV show? Imagine peak Tyson going on Love Island.

rjd2

Quote from: bgmnts on February 27, 2023, 02:45:43 AMI know it's a different world but could you imagine a serious boxer in his early 20s taking time out to go on a reality TV show? Imagine peak Tyson going on Love Island.

Love Island is cancelled the first night a young Mike Tyson is on it and everyone involved in getting him on the show is arrested.

I dunno how serious Tommy is about boxing, but heh he is getting Fuck you money for barely beating youtubers.

I do wonder how they handle his career though after this, he can't keep fighting postmen but once he steps into the ring against a talented uk fighter he will get pulverized.

checkoutgirl

The fight was surprisingly not that bad with a reasonable work rate from Fury. The embarrassment if he lost that. And he might have after walking into one in the last round.

The fake belt they gave Fury was funny. The Diarrhoea belt they call it. He was crying with relief after the fight.

As for Paul, he's a game lad but his footwork and shot count are average at best. Certainly nothing worthy of the 10 million purse he got, reflection of the state of the game. I don't know why he's risking head injury when he already has millions but he found his level here. He can now go back to doing his old job, whatever that is.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: rjd2 on February 27, 2023, 03:08:40 AMI dunno how serious Tommy is about boxing, but heh he is getting Fuck you money for barely beating youtubers.

I do wonder how they handle his career though after this, he can't keep fighting postmen but once he steps into the ring against a talented uk fighter he will get pulverized.
I wonder who'd want to fight either of them after this - too good for the Youtube crowd, not good enough for actual boxers.

bellasm

I stumbled upon this old thread and I gotta say, I'm a big fan of the sport. I totally agree that watching two dudes slug it out is a dance as old as time, and there's nothing quite like the excitement of a good boxing match.

rjd2

Quote from: bellasm on March 30, 2023, 11:29:06 AMI stumbled upon this old thread and I gotta say, I'm a big fan of the sport. I totally agree that watching two dudes slug it out is a dance as old as time, and there's nothing quite like the excitement of a good boxing match.

Joyce v Zheng in a few weeks is going to be a lot of fun, 2 big lads battering each other until one falls.

rjd2

Quote from: rjd2 on March 31, 2023, 05:21:12 AMJoyce v Zheng in a few weeks is going to be a lot of fun, 2 big lads battering each other until one falls.

Dunno if anyone watched but Joyce got a serious beating. A shame because unlike many boxers he seems like a genuinely top lad and also decided not to sit on his ranking and took a really difficult fight.

Zhang though!

Old Thrashbarg

Not sure how Fury is still undefeated. He very clearly lost to Ngannou, but presumably the boxing judges didn't want to have a mixed martial artist in his first boxing match beat the undefeated world champion and ruin the unification fight with Usyk.

Mobius

Yeah that was bullshit, Fury blatantly lost that

Boxing and UFC just feel like WWE these days

Red82

I thought it was very close.  Brilliant from Francis.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Mobius on October 29, 2023, 01:08:57 AMYeah that was bullshit, Fury blatantly lost that

Boxing and UFC just feel like WWE these days

I mean, they are the same thing, I don't mean that in the way UFC and WWE are joint owned, I'm not even being blase, but in the way that the job is to sell a fight, these things go in cycles of aesthetics too, from ultra-purist to freakshow, each as a response to the other. No one is interested in pure boxing in the Anglophone world right now and there's a whole time lag thing anyway where mainstream audiences only hear of people because of outside activities or because they are past their peak.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 29, 2023, 12:41:54 AMNot sure how Fury is still undefeated.

He's a mutant. Very rare a guy that size can move his head and feet. He wears down guys with his weight but Ngannou is absolutely massive with top conditioning.

Fury is oddly chinny but never gets knocked out. He goes down easy but never stays down. I thought he was mad taking this fight. Jeapodising his legacy fight with Usyk over some bullshit in the Emirates. And giving everyone a good look at him flat on his back isn't the best preparation. Now Usyk can taunt him about that. Fury didn't look great out there.

The decision was obviously wrong but there's nothing on the line so who's judging it and what's their motivation?

Really hope Usyk can teach him a lesson and their fight goes ahead.

Old Thrashbarg

Ha, the question was more about how this bizarre/corrupt decision, rather than how Fury's career has gone previously.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 29, 2023, 02:29:36 PMThe decision was obviously wrong but there's nothing on the line so who's judging it and what's their motivation?

Th Saudis? Given they'd obviously already organised the Usyk unification fight ahead of time, what with the post-match theatrics, it wouldn't have been quite the same had Fury just lost to a guy having his first ever boxing match. They want two undefeated heavyweight champions battling for the undisputed title to make it one of the biggest fights in recent memory. Rather than one supremely talented technician at the top of his game and one already-once-retired out-of-shape entertainer who just lost to a novice.

Obviously Ngannou is a monster, a highly trained and well-rounded fighter with knock-out power who will dominate any boxer in the clinch. But that wasn't the way he was being portrayed by those without any MMA knowledge; he was being talked about in the same way as a YouTuber. And had he won (officially) it would've ruined the build to Fury v Usyk.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 29, 2023, 03:20:22 PMAnd had he won (officially) it would've ruined the build to Fury v Usyk.

No doubt about it. That's why it was so stupid to put the fight on in the first place. Even though he got the official win he looked bad doing it and needed a get out of jail card. His skills are now in question when it was just his character taking a battering over the last few years.

Usyk will now have a psychological angle to use and will be a lot more confident to boot.

I used to really respect Fury but now I just want Usyk to knock him off his perch.