Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Revisiting Skyrim

Started by Barry Admin, November 24, 2017, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eis Nein

Many people speak of the power of the first glimpse of Oblivion on emerging from the sewer, but I found it underwhelming. It was night, so everything was bright blue, and the visuals deteriorated after dawn. Everything was pea soup. I ended up switching the view distance to minimum and wandered round enveloped in a foggy, Turok-style circle. It was that or ocular bleeding.

Stopped playing when Unique Landscapes were all works in progress, with jarring, un-meshed borders with the a little too homogenous landscape. UL is complete and well seated in the world now, I really fancy giving it a whirl.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Eis Nein on December 20, 2017, 02:45:07 AM
Many people speak of the power of the first glimpse of Oblivion on emerging from the sewer, but I found it underwhelming.

Frankly, I'm always relieved to finally emerge from a sewer.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Lemming on December 19, 2017, 06:15:28 AM
I think that Daggerfall and Morrowind (in particular) have a fantastic story, but it's relayed almost entirely through the in-game books as opposed to the games themselves. The main story quests (and literally all the side quests) are pretty dull, with only Morrowind's "you-might-be-a-reincarnation-of-Nerevar-but-you-might-just-be-a-political-tool-of-the-Empire" stuff being the only interesting point.

The in-game books portray a pretty incredibly detailed and at times psychedelic and surreal fantasy world, filled with all kinds of bizarre belief systems, racism, crazy religions, political intrigue and mystery, especially the Daedra. It's just a shame that it never comes across in any of the actual games.
And you can listen to em, should you be of that persuasion.

https://caitlinva.wordpress.com/the-audiobooks-of-skyrim/

Ferris

Put a solid shift into this today. Still not met matey in Riften yet, so much other stuff to finish first. My cat lady has all glass armour and weapons, I think I might be overlevelled for the main questline but fuck me it's fun.

Shay Chaise

Back into Skyrim on the One X, just seeing how far I can push the mods. I've managed to crash the game quite a few times now, which is a bit annoying. It is looking pretty fantastic, though. It's remarkable what some high res texture meshes can do for the game, and some more varied lighting. It's a real wonder just to walk around the world.

Barry Admin

Went back for a few hours myself yesterday. Started to get more into it now, did some exploring and got a few nice bits and pieces to flog or collect, and managed to get Breezehome bought, which is huge. Brought Lydia in and just gutted both our inventories, which really need doing. Found the archery woman again, and concentrated on just visiting a lot of nearby places to open up fast travel and give myself more options.

Ferris

I was up until 2am finishing the main dragon questline. So satisfying.

I have all dragonscale armour and a dragonbone bow (plus dragon one arrows) and a dragon to ride around on. This game is so good.

gmoney

My household (me, my partner, housemate) have all got into this over the last couple of weeks, a domino effect of my housemate getting into it, my girlfriend being intrigued by it, and then me wanting to have a go again inspired by them. At the weekend we were all playing at once on different platforms. It's all 2011 round our way.

falafel

Wow. Failed to get into this three times before but now suddenly 40 hours in and it's just so meditative. Just got to the throat of the world and all I'm missing is a hang glider. This is an object lesson in the whole being far more than the sum of its parts. The writing in particular is pretty rough - I balk at some of the shit they have Christopher Plummer come out with. But somehow it has this amazing sense of possibility and scope. Well done, Bethesda. It took me 7 years to get here but it was worth the wait.

Ferris

It is genuinely (and I hate this word) immersive. And the gameworld is maaaaassive.

To do all that and have the game still be coherent and fun is incredible. There are so many needlessly intricate details into the lore and setup of the region it is staggering. Old Skyrim refers to the easternmost provinces (where everyone's a bit racist) near Saarthal (first human city on Tamriel). Western Skyrim is much more liberal. Play through as a non human character and you'll notice the difference. And yet! It's completely under the radar and no character ever explicitly states the divide, you have to go reading to find all the bits.

Truly a staggering effort. All time favourite game. Criticisms of combat/dialogue etc just seem churlish, and to be honest I sort of enjoy them as part of the Skyrim experience. Gonna go home and play it now

St_Eddie

This is an obvious observation but isn't it great that Bethesda chose to leave the 'giant clubbing you 50ft into the air' glitch in the final game?  I can't think of any other games which did such a thing, other than the obvious, such as Goat Simulator.  I'm far too happy to be bludgeoned into the realm of the Gods.

Zetetic

It's still in Fallout 4, so I'm not "chose to leave" is quite right.

falafel

Seriously though. Fuck Bayonetta. This game. This one.

magister

Discovered an old save for this on my  PS4 from a couple of years ago. I'm a level 14 Orc siding with the Imperials and rejoicing in the name of Mercedes von Shittington. Fortunately it's not the save where i left my wife's corpse halfway up the stairs in Breezehome, carefully camouflaged with 27 clothes irons and the Whiterun home furnishing guide.

Mobius

Who is going to buy this anniversary edition on Nov 11th?

It's been a few years since I've played Skyrim, and graphical improvements, quicker loading screens and all that are quite tempting. It also comes with all the Creation Club stuff though I'm not really sure if that's like mini DLC or mods made by players or what

Chedney Honks

I think it's only a tenner to upgrade if you bought the last console re-release from a few years ago (for PS4/XB1) so I'll pay that to keep the game updated, basically. Still one of my favourite games ever, even if I just play it as a walking sim these days.

Chollis

yeah, finally plan to complete it this time, lost my save last time after 36 hours and been waiting for this new edition before i restarted. i do seem to remember getting quite overwhelmed around the time I went to Riften, I just had so many quests that I lost track of what I was doing, and my inventory was always like 5 items away from being full despite me constantly going back to Whiterun to dump shit at my house.

will this have the 'Interesting NPC' mods and stuff like that built-in? i wasn't very good at getting mods to work so would like them just all installed for me please. i can't really tell any specifics from the info out there, sounds like there's 2 versions, and only the paid one will get you mods:

There are, essentially, two versions of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Anniversary Edition based on what is currently known. There is the free upgrade path for owners of the aforementioned Skyrim Special Edition and there is the paid version which includes every piece of Creation Club content as well as new pieces.

anyway, i usually go for sword-and-board build cos i'm a very basic person, i can't help choosing melee despite how unsatisfactory it is in this game, and it feels slightly better pressing block and attack rather than just attack! also ramming cunts with your shield is fun. i do remember having to resort to using a piddly bow and arrow when fighting dragons with this build though. what else is fun?

Chedney Honks

The previous version on consoles already had mods, it's a bit fiddly to be honest, but there are lots of helpful suggestions for load order out there. If they take those mods away while asking me to pay for the upgrade, I will probably give it a miss. The Creation Club mods were mostly shit paid content, much less worthwhile than the free mods.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aim low and miss, knowing Bethesda.

Zetetic

I don't think the console versions consistently really support mods, unfortunately. Modding on the PS4 version is extremely limited at least - Interesting NPCs (which is such a fantastic addition, from a walking simulator point-of-view in particular) can't work for at least two reasons.

LOOT is the solution to almost all load-order problems. (I assume on consoles you can manually look through the masterlist??)

This is making me want to get whatever the latest version is going again, and modding it. And New Vegas. FFS.

Zetetic

Quote from: Chollis on October 27, 2021, 11:13:23 AM
will this have the 'Interesting NPC' mods and stuff like that built-in?
Part of me would love to see Bethesda attempt this, just because of the fallout of dealing with the ... diverse writing in Interesting NPCs.

Ferris

Did we not agree that if you bought the "complete" edition on a previous console you'd get this automatically? Seem to remember it was in one skyrim thread or another, Cerys (?) had a look.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Zetetic on October 27, 2021, 11:39:29 AM
I don't think the console versions consistently really support mods, unfortunately.

Yeah, and the PlayStation is more limited than Xbox. I just couldn't be bothered explaining in more depth.

Chollis

who THE FUCK plays on consoles anymore

Ferris

Cuellar

So is this just Skyrim but with 'pre-installed' graphics mods, essentially?

My most recent fun I've been having is building a house as quickly as possible, adopting some kids, then Bluebearding my way through the marriable population. I wish there was a way to lure my spouses down to the basement, but as it stands I just have to kill them wherever I can. The kids don't seem to mind.

magister

I'm joining the Dawnguard. I ran into a fellow applicant on the way - Agmoor. I was bored and didn't feel like rivalry, so I fus ro da'd him into a cliff face before stealing his trousers. I'll store them in the next animal I kill.

magister

Turns out the Dawnguard don't take kindly to killing their applicants. Back to an earlier save...

magister

Now level 26, and being childishly amused by renaming enchanted items. I wear the enchanted Hat of Twattiness and a pair of steel boots called Bagouss is Not Your Bitch, while dual wielding the Mace if Molag Bal and the fiery sword Nathan Jones You Been Gone Too Long.