Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RAMMSTEIN!

Started by bgmnts, August 14, 2018, 08:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Is it me or are they really good?

They make music a serial killer would listen to in his basement whilst chasing victims around a self-constructed death maze. Which is probably my favourite genre of music.

Please tell me they are good.

bgmnts

Ich bin sehr traurig.

gmoney

I love the first album, but I could never really get into the other stuff, apart from the singles. I tried with the second and third album loads, but it just won't go in. First album though, just a great mix of dancable industrial and metal. It's lots of fun, hyper masculine and camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmsJhf89MY - Du Riechst So Gut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-lfY7gfNu4 - Herzeleid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srN1GsnBui8 - Seemann

Mr Gruts

They're spectacular live, probably the most insane stage shows I've ever seen. Also the Lindemann 'Praise Abort' video is fucking hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWE_M0CX9So

I'm not particularly keen on their music but they are comfortably in the top 5 bands I've ever seen live, just stunning. It was at a festival and their live sound was amazing, I doubt I've ever heard better, inside or out. Their sound guy must be a genius.

magval

Love them.

The documentary In Amerika is fascinating and has a brilliant concert in Madison Square Garden to boot. Herzelied is one of my favourite albums of all time. I also reckon "Sonne" has to be in the top ten heaviest riffs ever.

the ouch cube

They're probably too much on the Kerrangy side of things for a lot of people but I've always dug them to an extent: it's very difficult to make "pop metal" that doesn't suck, but they manage it. Probably closer to Devo (only with heavy riffs) than metal per se, really.

wosl

A daft band by and large, peddling boring, macho Teutonic bombast.  Apparently adapted Laibach's modus, draining all the conceptual art wit out of it in the process.  They trade in upper-body slam music; no inducement there to involve the hips, just tense your torso, bang your head and pump your fist.  I have the Live Aus Berlin DVD (bargain bin punt) and almost all of the songs sound the same.  The singer's voice sounds silly; he gurns like someone in the grip of 'roid rage; his jacket looks as though it's been fashioned from pointy foam padding.  The bass player has a load of gaffer tape wound 'round his head; they've all been 'antiqued' with silver fairy-dust; the two guitarists look overly pleased with themselves; the funny keyboard player isn't funny.  When they try to get sensitive they produce beseeching, sentimental guff like Seemann.  Pussy remains an awful misstep that they'll struggle to ever live down.  If they are trying to be tongue-in-cheek, they aren't half making a hash (as someone on the Electrical Audio forum has observed re. Pussy: "Satirical doesn't mean being shitty on purpose.")

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: wosl on August 14, 2018, 05:45:16 PM
A daft band by and large, peddling boring, macho Teutonic bombast.  Apparently adapted Laibach's modus, draining all the conceptual art wit out of it in the process.

Off Wiki: Laibach being very magnanimous here

The popular German musical group Rammstein has acknowledged influence by both the aesthetic approach and material of Laibach. When members of Laibach were asked by an interviewer about Rammstein "stealing" from them, they responded that "Laibach does not believe in originality... Therefore, Rammstein could not 'steal' much from us. They simply let themselves get inspired by our work, which is absolutely a legitimate process. We are glad that they made it. In a way, they have proven once again that a good 'copy' can make more money on the market than the 'original'. Anyhow, today we share the territory: Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach are Rammstein for grown-ups"

Laibach would later provide a remix for the Rammstein single Ohne Dich.

flotemysost

I can see why people would find them too silly/weird/tasteless, but I just think they're great fun. My take on the 'macho' element is that it's so ridiculous it must be a piss-take - from what little I've seen, the band come across as quite humble and polite in person.

Also, I gather there are quite a few nuances and references in their stuff that's lost on their English-speaking fans (a multilingual friend did try to explain the background of a couple of their songs to me once) and it's not all just boorish posturing.

As Nice Relaxing Poo and Mr Gruts have mentioned, they're pretty great live.

I can't find it on YouTube, but the Junkie XL remix of Feuer Frei! was my daily 'getting pumped up to face work in the morning' anthem for a while.

Shaky

I'd always dismissed them as Ministry-pilfering, Teutonic bores but then I saw the likes of this video and... well, it's just possible they've got their tongue in cheek somewhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaxDxHUWP8

Loud enough last night to be heard in Burton Hastings.
Fire big enough to warrant warning pilots.

Silly, but tremendously fun with it.

JaDanketies

First proper concert I went to! Blew my socks off. Still a big fan of everything up to and including Reise Reise but they got a bit operatic / dropped off my radar. The best live shows of anyone.

dontpaintyourteeth

a daft laugh and that

flotemysost

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 27, 2022, 11:30:39 AMLoud enough last night to be heard in Burton Hastings.
Fire big enough to warrant warning pilots.

Silly, but tremendously fun with it.

I was there last night too! The live act certainly is a bit of a daft pantomime, but their dedication to it is equally impressive and endearing.

And there's always something kind of cool about a stadium full of (mostly) British people singing along to German lyrics; I can't think of loads of other artists enjoying their stature in the English-speaking market whose lyrics are (mostly) not in English (Till acknowledged this in his typically brief greeting after the show).

Still haven't actually listened to the latest album loads, but there's always enough in their show that you know you'll have a blast regardless. Du Riechst So Gut is always an absolute belter.

Poobum

Going to see them in Cardiff on Thursday. Always wanted to but severe anxiety and that. I'm hoping Angst is on the set-list, that's gotta be amazing live.

bgmnts

Yeah literally just read they were in Cardiff Thursday but dont think I have the energy to see them!

Also, we had unexpectedly purchased hospitality tickets, so after 1 hr trying to find a nice spot outside the arena we found ourselves up in the Bryan Adams bar, with no queue, pristine lavs and an unexpected feuerzone as we were right by the pillars about halfway back.

Keebleman

I'll be stewarding at the two-years-late-thanks-to-Covid Cardiff gig.  I've never heard a note of their music but I am keen to see their show.  I've heard a lot about it.

Been waiting 3 years for the Cardiff show and my wee wee stick is tingling in anticipation of some massive flamethrower antics.

gilbertharding

Are they named after the airshow disaster?

Poobum

They are, self-titled song from first album is about it.

Pink Gregory

There's something really incongruous about Rammstein in Cardiff.

Flake goes to look at the castle.  Paul Landers in Splott.  Christoph Schneider goes and gets chips.

Keebleman

Quote from: Keebleman on June 27, 2022, 05:16:52 PMI'll be stewarding at the two-years-late-thanks-to-Covid Cardiff gig.  I've never heard a note of their music but I am keen to see their show.  I've heard a lot about it.

Well, that was noisy.  I missed most of the pyro stuff, so I guess that must have been atop the pillars.  From my post on the ground floor they were obscured by the terrace above.

Have to say it did sound like a heavy metal Kraftwerk.  And the other act I was reminded of also has a German link - Sisters of Mercy.  Yeah, they're from Leeds but Eldritch has been based in Bavaria for years.

Poobum

That was an intense experience for my first arena gig. Music loud enough to collapse your lungs. Pyro was ridiculous hot and I was 60 meters away. Absolutely brilliant show, they were all on top form.

Started raining just as they released all the black paper stuff which was epic.

Was a nice surprise when they reappeared right behind us.

It was absolutely fucking immense. I've seen one or two louder bands but none with the clarity and power that they had, the sound system was huge they even had speakers suspended from the edge of the roof just to make sure of things. The opening chords of Deutschland were the most powerful noise I think I've ever experienced at a gig.

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on August 14, 2018, 08:41:30 AMIs it me or are they really good?

Yes of course, they're absolutely amazing.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 01, 2022, 09:01:30 PMThe opening chords of Deutschland were the most powerful noise I think I've ever experienced at a gig.

I've almost got tears imagining how fucking brilliant this must have been, I love that song so much.

Poobum

The loudness definitely surprised me. Been ages since I watched any live Rammstein online or DVD and it was amazing how everything's been taken to another level. Wasn't expecting the flame cannon after the flame thrower during Mein Teil. The star suit thingy Till wore during Rammstein was frightening. Didn't expect the explosions during Sehnsucht to sound like artillery barrages. Puppe was fun with Till cam and the creepy baby doll in the burning pram. RZK ascending up the main tower to do his mini-set was great as was the entire band ascending at the end. Very happy I accidently ended up where they got on the dinghies.

Kankurette

Did Flake crowdsurf in a dinghy?

Neville Chamberlain

I'm not really into Rammstein, but reading this thread makes me think how lucky I am / bizarre it is to see Till Lindemann every now and them in my neighbourhood cycling around with a LIDL shopping bag swinging from the handlebars.