Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:53:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on April 19, 2019, 10:12:53 AM
You know, I'm tempted to buy one of those just to see my partner's reaction. A red one I think.

Tempted to buy the watch, or the complete human forelimb? Which do you think would get the bigger reaction out of your partner?

Sebastian Cobb

got me a jump hour

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 19, 2019, 10:22:26 AM

got me a jump hour

That's the same pic you posted on page one. I've been debating with myself whether the hand is on the left or right side of the image, and I'm still not sure whether we're seeing a picture of a watch on a left arm or a right one. Or even worn on the top or bottom of the wrist, if I'm honest. Or even if it's an arm at all.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2019, 10:17:21 AM
Tempted to buy the watch, or the complete human forelimb? Which do you think would get the bigger reaction out of your partner?

Well I meant the watch but now you've put the idea in my head... Would an embalmed severed arm make a nice watch stand or would it be a bit "trying too hard to be wacky"?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2019, 10:24:50 AM
That's the same pic you posted on page one. I've been debating with myself whether the hand is on the left or right side of the image, and I'm still not sure whether we're seeing a picture of a watch on a left arm or a right one. Or even worn on the top or bottom of the wrist, if I'm honest. Or even if it's an arm at all.

who has hairs on the bottom of their wrist?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 19, 2019, 11:58:09 AM
who has hairs on the bottom of their wrist?

Freaks. Dirty freaks.

touchingcloth

Exactly. Dirty dead freaks.

vanilla.coffee

This is my 3 collection

Twed

I feel like I just saw the best possible visual representation of the value of £20,000.

Twed

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2019, 12:49:44 AM
Love it. I love big lairy watches. Today I have been massively enjoying my green Adidas Santiago- I got the red one first then saw the green one going cheap in TK Maxx a few months later and just had to have it:

Yes, I am an eight-year-old scally.
The really cool thing about this is it looks like you could just bend the watch in half and it would just flop back into shape.

touchingcloth

If that's 20 grand's worth then, christ, I'd spend it elsewhere and...elsehow, if that's a word.

Separately, I have realised that cork, whilst being a beautiful material to make a watch strap from, is not a robust one. I guess that's why people strap watches to themselves with leather and don't yet stopper wine with it. Unless they do. I bet some hipster wineries do.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twed on April 19, 2019, 05:31:41 PM
I feel like I just saw the best possible visual representation of the value of £20,000.

That is a lot to spend on armhair enhancements

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2019, 05:39:19 PM
If that's 20 grand's worth then, christ, I'd spend it elsewhere and...elsehow, if that's a word.
I reckon it's actually about 8-12 grand but I have never bought an expensive watch and don't really want to speak for vanilla.coffee. Nevertheless, these are undeniably extremely fancy watches.

touchingcloth

Is there something particular that gives away their fanciness, or do you just need to know the watches? At least 20Ks worth of diamond looks like a fuck off big shiny rock, DeBeers' price manipulation notwithstanding.

Twed

Just the brands. I don't think there are watches by those makers that cost less than a couple grand.

touchingcloth

Omega make basic watches, don't they? Maybe I've just seen them in magazines and that enough to assume they do. In my mind they're filed alongside Seiko and Casio and away from Rolex.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2019, 08:17:28 PM
Is there something particular that gives away their fanciness, or do you just need to know the watches? At least 20Ks worth of diamond looks like a fuck off big shiny rock, DeBeers' price manipulation notwithstanding.
Quality, rarity, technology, history. To a certain man watches are a stand-in for jewellery. The raw price of materials and labour is not really the point but what the watch says about you. You own a Rolex Submariner because you respect the classics and a watch's utilitarian purpose. You own a Richard Mille because you are new money trash but are over 60

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2019, 08:34:44 PM
Omega make basic watches, don't they? Maybe I've just seen them in magazines and that enough to assume they do.
I don't think so. Definitely a luxury brand. Here's Amazon's selection, with the cheapest first: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=omega+watch&rh=n%3A10103528031&s=price-asc-rank&dc&qid=1555702831&rnid=1642204031&ref=sr_nr_n_1

touchingcloth

Maybe I'm thinking of Citizen rather than Omega. Is there anything that dictates the price of a watch beyond brand recognition? If it's accuracy of timekeeping, is it just a legacy these days of the historically most accurate watches now that phones are synced with atomic clocks? Seems like accuracy can't really have been much of a factor since the 90s or earlier.

Twed

I think the really expensive watches are going to be less accurate than a $10 Casio. They're mechanical watches, which at best lose or gain a second every day. You probably wouldn't take a 5 grand watch back to the shop if it gained ten seconds each day.

They're going to be better built, last a lifetime and feel very not-cheap. But in terms of actual utility, they are worse than most cheap watches, IMO. People wear them because they look nice, are status symbols and admirable works of precision engineering.

Urinal Cake

Mechanical watch movements are easy to make but they are hard to maintain in running condition. A Rolex is so over-engineered for most of it's functions. While a Chinese copy of a  Swiss movement will last a few years only to be replaced since it is more expensive to repair it. The original Swiss will last longer due to stricter quality control etc which shows in its initial cost and hence it is cheaper to repair the Swiss movement rather than replace it.

Also 'complications' which add precision and functionality to  a watch which as a piece of engineering is difficult to conceptualize, build and maintain but can be easily achieved through electronics. The obvious example is a https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourbillon not really needed but impressive use of skill.

touchingcloth

They are fit those bouillon things, but I couldn't see myself being moved to pay the big bucks for one. I'd be tempted if I had lottery type pots of cash to burn.

Urinal Cake

I would get this automaton wankery just to annoy everyday people https://youtu.be/c0RkYGBi394

touchingcloth

I watched that video on silent, so all I have to say is that's a shit as fuck watch and bald Assange looks like a cunt. You've successfully annoyed me sans purchase.

Mr Banlon

My 1971 Seiko 6139-6002 'Pogue' with the 'Water 70m Resist' dial.

The timeless elegance and ethereal beauty that is the Seiko "Black Monster".

Dex Sawash

Unboxed my 1992 Citizen this morning. The rotating bezel is in 60' of water off Cape Lookout.

Sebastian Cobb

Seiko are like the nerds Rolex aren't they? Big fan.

Mr Banlon

I'm always on the lookout for a Seiko 6105 'Willard'