Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,374
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Stumbled on this countdown timer, the minute hand is nice. 15, 10 or 5 minute sequence.

Meant for timing boat race starts, you can't park a boat on a start line so you just have to be behind the line at zero (ideally at full speed and as close as possible to line)

Edit- new page cuntdown

Sebastian Cobb

Tempted to pick up this GDR beauty.

Ferris

Fucking hell that's nice.

Ferris

Phwoarr they make nice stuff

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 30, 2021, 12:13:54 PM

I don't wear watches, but I like this. Not bad for 60 quid. Not sure about the strap though

Ferris

I quite like the strap, but it's a nato style one so you could swap it out pretty easily. I have a spare velcro nato I've been desperate to use on something (it is the pinnacle of utilitarian watch straps!) and am desperately trying to stop myself buying more watches.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I like the leather nato, same as my Seiko 5. It seems most of them don't come with straps so I guess it's on you to find something you like there.

The only thing stopping me is knowing I'd probably take it off and forget to put it on. The reason I tend to wear my f91 these days is because I often sleep and sometimes shower in it if I can't be bothered taking it off. My Seiko often came off then never got put back on.

Had a "special" birthday last week. My brother didn't know what to get me and I didn't really want anything so I asked him to get me an old school Casio watch. Which he did.

Unbeknownst to me Voltana (Woman of Steel) had also got me a watch. Crumbs.

gilbertharding

Happy birthday Voltan. Nice watches.

Thanks very much. I really don't see myself as the Rolex type but this one is pretty understated. I'd have been perfectly happy with the Casio. :)

Ferris

Talking of gifts, I was given a Gruen Curvex last week. Curved face and mechanism made in the mid '40s.

Bit of an oddity, can't find a good picture on google so will upload one later today if I remember.

vanilla.coffee

Early James Bond wore a Gruen. Nice one.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 30, 2021, 12:13:54 PM

What is the relationship to the DDR?

Blinder Data

all this talk of Seiko 5s and NATO straps convinced me I needed some

just wanted a reliable automatic that I could wear with pretty much any outfit. £30ish on eBay, i really like the simple styling of the face and non-circular case. strap bought separately.

some water got under the glass a while ago. it seemed to evaporate in a warm room but should I be worried about it happening again? timpson man said the glass is kept into place via pressure into the gasket, which is old and might be tricky to replace

Ferris

A fellow nato strap man of taste.

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 10, 2021, 07:59:56 PM
all this talk of Seiko 5s and NATO straps convinced me I needed some

just wanted a reliable automatic that I could wear with pretty much any outfit. £30ish on eBay, i really like the simple styling of the face and non-circular case. strap bought separately.

some water got under the glass a while ago. it seemed to evaporate in a warm room but should I be worried about it happening again? timpson man said the glass is kept into place via pressure into the gasket, which is old and might be tricky to replace

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 23, 2021, 06:34:35 PM

Irreparably altered the swatch (won't take a swatch strap now) but it was sitting unloved in a drawer so thought why not?

Your watch face is nicer though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 18, 2021, 08:07:57 PM
I think Instagram has finally figured me out, as all the adverts I get now are for watches. This one has some good reviews, and I think it looks grand. The Spinnaker, with the dark green face.

I ended up buying one of these, the site had a 30% off weekend or some such. It's a bobby dazzler, looks great on me too.

JaDanketies

Anyone know where I can get a clock for a kid's room with a relatively loud tick? He loves ticking noises. Seems like nowadays, ticking clocks are a thing of the past

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno a colleague just had a cheap generic wall clock, like you used to get in school and that fucker was loud enough to be picked up on video calls. I imagine most of them are noticable at night.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Watches are still 100% straight up multiverse enveloping shit

cheers

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2021, 09:46:05 PM
Watches are still 100% straight up multiverse enveloping shit

cheers
Thanks, because lord knows we couldn't have survived without your opinion on the topic. Now me, when I see a thread about something I'm not interested in, I just don't bother posting in it, but you're made of sterner stuff.

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 10, 2021, 07:59:56 PM
all this talk of Seiko 5s...

Really sorry to break it to you but that's not a genuine Seiko 5.
It's what is known as a Feiko or a Mumbai special.
Generally made up of random parts and a fake dial.

touchingcloth

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on August 10, 2021, 09:59:41 PM

They can be decent quality, though. My partner has a Seiko 5 with an Allwyn movement. She bought it because she wanted a cheap automatic with lairy as fuck colours, and it came from a seller in India where tastes lean much more in that direction.

We found some watch forum where people were discussing how Allwyn movements of some vintages are better in some ways than genuine Seikos due to having more jewels or whatever. Hers must be twenty years old at least, but it doesn't lose time any more quickly than my genuine 2 year old Seiko.

Blinder Data

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on August 10, 2021, 09:59:41 PM

oh great. how can you tell?

TBH I'm minded to keep it - as touchingcloth says the movement seems good so far, considering it's probably 30+ years old

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 11, 2021, 06:56:53 AM
oh great. how can you tell?

The giveaway to my eye is the date dial. The typeface is different from the rest of the face but I think a genuine Seiko would use the same one throughout.

It's common with the Feikos I've seen for the line which divides the day of the week (i.e. between "Tue" and "10" in your pic) from the date of the month not being lined up with the face (specifically the ring in your pic showing "05", "10", etc.). In your pic the alignment between the two things isn't actually bad at all, but I've seen ones where the two things aren't even close to lining up. There may be other clues that true Seiko nerds would pick up on but I don't - maybe the face, hands and date dial are all genuine Seiko parts just never seen in that particular combination in a single genuine watch case, or maybe some of the individual parts stand out as not genuine at all.

Blue Jam

Isn't there just a standard typeface used on most Seiko date dials?

Feiko or not, I think it looks great.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 10, 2021, 09:52:08 PM
Thanks, because lord knows we couldn't have survived without your opinion on the topic. Now me, when I see a thread about something I'm not interested in, I just don't bother posting in it, but you're made of sterner stuff.

Still don't feel bad about saying all 3 Matrix films were shit

The Crumb

I'm currently wearing one of these on a black and orange nato. It has a slightly domed crystal, which adds a bit of character if not legibility.

Blinder Data

FFS i like my Feiko but now I feel like I need an authentic watch to compensate and I'm looking at loads of lovely vintage watches and I can't stop, send help

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Crumb on August 11, 2021, 12:25:44 PM

I'm currently wearing one of these on a black and orange nato. It has a slightly domed crystal, which adds a bit of character if not legibility.

Ooooh I love that. Has a bit of a 70's darts player feel, which is what I was going for when I chose my Seiko Recraft with the green dial earlier in this thread. Just imagine "WINMAU" round the top.

Sebastian Cobb

I can see how it would be a let-down. As it happens I have an S5 and have been looking at the feiko equivalents of Citizen watches as I quite like the black designs... I don't think they're actually bad if you know what you're getting into.

It's been a while since I've looked and don't have time to look further so not actually sure if this is real or not, but this sort of thing: