Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 13, 2021, 10:35:37 PM
Nice. Been meaning to look for a raketa, chrono24 is legit is it? Wasn't sure tbh.

Also is that a cloth face? What's going on there?

It's cloth-like but just a matte finish I think.

Chrono24 seems ok, they hold the cash in escrow until the stuff turns up, and I got tracking although it was spotty, I think that's down to the carrier.

The movement seems to be decent, the watch was apparently serviced and so far appears to be more accurate than the seiko 5 I bought new.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 14, 2021, 10:29:11 AM

Yes? What do you want?

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 14, 2021, 10:29:11 AM

Chrono24 seems ok, they hold the cash in escrow until the stuff turns up, and I got tracking although it was spotty, I think that's down to the carrier.

The movement seems to be decent, the watch was apparently serviced and so far appears to be more accurate than the seiko 5 I bought new.

My Raketa Big Zero arrived in the post this morning from Moscow (after 2 weeks stuck in Berlin according to the postal tracker - real "escape to the west" vibes).

Love it. Looks great, very comfortable and the mechanism seems to hold time well. I'll upload a picture when I get around to it.

Ferris

Very nice Ferris & Seb Cobb's equally so.

Mr Banlon

A new old stock 70s Chinese watch I picked up and one I knocked up out of bits and pieces. (8215 movement, exp dial, sub case)

Blinder Data

What's the most you've spent on a watch? I'm looking at a Sturamnskie which would be around £400. Insane, really, but they look great (and peanuts compared to what some people spend!).

Ferris

The Raketa at 60 quid is the most I've ever spent, but most watches I have are Casio/Swatch, and the rest have been gifts.

I'd love one of these but at 80 quid I'm struggling to justify it. Maybe Christmas or something.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 11, 2021, 01:54:07 PM
What's the most you've spent on a watch? I'm looking at a Sturamnskie which would be around £400. Insane, really, but they look great (and peanuts compared to what some people spend!).
That Spinnaker one I posted a few pages back didn't give me much change from 200 quid, but it's really nice.

Fr.Bigley

I got left a patek calatrava when pop passed. Knew it was a nice watch, he bought it in Switzerland when he was serving in the 70s, never knew how nice. Had it appraised recently for insurance. Score, thanks you old cunt, you just bought me a new car.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 11, 2021, 01:57:04 PM
The Raketa at 60 quid is the most I've ever spent, but most watches I have are Casio/Swatch, and the rest have been gifts.

I'd love one of these but at 80 quid I'm struggling to justify it. Maybe Christmas or something.

Isn't £80 cheap for a Raketa? Anyway, just ThInK hOw MuCh YoU'lL sAVe On BaTtErIeS

I like this one:

https://raketa.com/w/en/product/raketa-polyarnie-0241/

Looks like it's from Thunderbirds or off someone with eyebrows in The Spy Who Loved Me. Got enough watches tho.

Attila

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 10, 2021, 09:28:22 PM
Anyone know where I can get a clock for a kid's room with a relatively loud tick? He loves ticking noises. Seems like nowadays, ticking clocks are a thing of the past

Your kid and I would get along -- my father collected antique schoolhouse clocks, and they had very loud ticks. I really, really like having a ticking clock nearby, but Mr Attila would go insane if he had to listen to one.

(All of our clocks were slightly off by a minute or so, so when anywhere from 8 through to 12 o'clock came along, too bad if you were at the most important part of a TV show or movie, in those days before VCRs. I recall one instance of my brother leaping up to try to stop the clocks before they all went nuts. It's why I love hitting up the clock room at the British Museum when I know they're all going to go off. )

Watch chat: although I have a ton of lovely watches I never wear, I've just treated myself to a vintage (1990s anyway) Hello Kitty watch.

ETA -- I think KitKat clocks have a pretty loud tick, plus they're goofy as all get out.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This is mine.

I like the brushed metal face, but I'm not a fan of the design otherwise, especially that big bezel. It looks a bit juvenile somehow - but then I was given it for my 18th birthday (a horrifyingly long time ago). For a measure of how stylish it is, it originally came with a velcro strap that would wick up sweat and start to smell fermented after a few days. I thought about getting one of those metal straps but, as a hirsute gentleman, I was worried about getting my arm hairs trapped between the links.

Occasionally I think about replacing it with something a bit classier looking, but I've not worn it since the battery died and that was a good few years ago at this point. My phone is a perfectly adequate timepiece. The only reason for a watch would be to look flash and, while I do enjoy dressing up like a fancy lad, it's not really worth the money to me. I have found myself tempted by smartwatches recently, but those are also expensive and basically pointless.

Mr Banlon

Might pick up one of these :

It's got a Seiko NH35A movement and sapphire crystal and is a homage to one of these :

The Seiko 62MAS

Less than £100, so pretty good for the money
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124846701151?hash=item1d11717a5f:g:fbAAAOSwUPFhEjRQ

Quite a lot less than an original : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313569319984?epid=17046968227&hash=item4902301c30:g:EhIAAOSwCuxgx7AL

Could possibly 'mod' the homage with this dial : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133837357587?hash=item1f29540213:g:3IoAAOSwYnFhCPv6

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Do those ones with the date on them need resetting each month or do they somehow account for the number of days?

And which arm should a watch be worn on? I've always worn mine on the right, but I read that it should go on the left, so you can use the dial without taking it off. I tried wearing it on my left wrist but it felt wrong and it didn't make the dial any easier to use.

Hell's bells. I'm thinking about watches now.

The Guppy

They always count to 31 unless they're very fancy, or digital.

I'm left-handed so I wear my watch on my right wrist. I don't need to fuck with the crown anyway, unless there's fewer than 31 days in the month.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 15, 2021, 11:47:34 AMIsn't £80 cheap for a Raketa? Anyway, just ThInK hOw MuCh YoU'lL sAVe On BaTtErIeS

I like this one:

https://raketa.com/w/en/product/raketa-polyarnie-0241/

Looks like it's from Thunderbirds or off someone with eyebrows in The Spy Who Loved Me. Got enough watches tho.

Sorry missed this - yeah the new Raketas are aping western brands by being massively expensive and all looking a bit identikit.

I like the old stuff because it's an example of almost parallel technology but with none of the western context so you end up with stuff that is sort of similar, but strikingly different. I'm a fan of old Soviet electric guitars and effects pedals for the same reason - I'm not a communist, but I appreciate someone trying to design something entirely from scratch and approximating the familiar but in an unexpected way.

That all probably sounds like total bollocks. Sorry.

Anyway, the old Soviet ones are on eBay and Etsy and go for 50-100 quid because that's objectively all they're worth, but I like the weirdness of them (from a western perspective anyway), and I'm not comfortable wearing expensive shit to the pub because what if I fuck it up or lose it?

My dad keeps gifting me beautiful watches (because he knows I'm a watch nerd) that are worth a several hundred quid each and I can't bring myself to wear them because the stress of having that on my wrist would be too much. A 50 quid Soviet watch that's common as dirt? Yeah who cares lads (to some extent) waheyyy.

touchingcloth

Planes, right. Why do they sell watches alongside Pringles and tiny little blocks of cheese on flights? Who's the market for those? Has anyone ever bought one? Is it a code for drugs or handjobs like when the ice cream van comes round in January?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 19, 2021, 10:25:31 PMPlanes, right. Why do they sell watches alongside Pringles and tiny little blocks of cheese on flights? Who's the market for those? Has anyone ever bought one? Is it a code for drugs or handjobs like when the ice cream van comes round in January?

Because back in the day (and still to a certain extent now) you were only allowed to carry a certain amount of currency out the country so rich fuckers would buy a bit of jewellery and wear it on their wrist and cash it in at the destination.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 19, 2021, 10:31:27 PMBecause back in the day (and still to a certain extent now) you were only allowed to carry a certain amount of currency out the country so rich fuckers would buy a bit of jewellery and wear it on their wrist and cash it in at the destination.

That makes sense to an extent, except it doesn't because you're already out of the country once they start selling them, and you can take a bank card and use an ATM abroad, and they never check you for cash in the airport, and the watches on offer were all under £300. Possibly some other reasons, too.

Sebastian Cobb

Blinder Data

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 19, 2021, 09:25:56 PMAnd which arm should a watch be worn on? I've always worn mine on the right, but I read that it should go on the left, so you can use the dial without taking it off. I tried wearing it on my left wrist but it felt wrong and it didn't make the dial any easier to use.

Traditionally it's on the arm you use the least, so for most people's it's left. But only bellends really care about that sort of stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 19, 2021, 10:42:31 PMTraditionally it's on the arm you use the least, so for most people's it's left. But only bellends really care about that sort of stuff.

wearing it 180 degrees out so it's on your inner-wrist is genuinely a bit odd though isn't it?

touchingcloth

The rules are bobbins, same as those which say a piercing in a particular side makes you a gay, or how you "should" leave the bottom button of a waistcoat open.

I wear mine on my left, mainly because the crown doesn't dig into my forearm that way. Also I can't stand anything being loose on my left wrist, so the watch is strapped tight there and if I wear a bracelet that goes on the right. It's easier to adjust the crown while wearing it, but that's not very relevant to me because I don't sleep or shower in my watch so I set it while I'm not wearing it.

Sebastian Cobb

nah i maintain wearing it so the face on your inner wrist is odd and daft because you'll drag it over tables and stuff

touchingcloth

Oh, yeah. Awful habit. I sometimes do it when on a long drive as it's easier to see with hands on a wheel. But cars have clocks so I got bored of this quickly.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 19, 2021, 11:05:11 PMOh, yeah. Awful habit. I sometimes do it when on a long drive as it's easier to see with hands on a wheel. But cars have clocks so I got bored of this quickly.

This raises an interesting (or tedious) point, I found when I drive (which I don't do often nowadays) it's generally my dominant hand doing the work, so generally don't bother with my left at all. When I've driven on holiday I've tried to naturally 'mirror image' my driving with my arm resting on the door half the time and nah, just doesn't work, have to right-hand it. I know you're in Portugal and with time I'm sure it becomes natural.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb link=msg=4756948 mio km date=1637361087Because back in the day (and still to a certain extent now) you were only allowed to carry a certain amount of currency out the country so rich fuckers would buy a bit of jewellery and wear it on their wrist and cash it in at the destination.

It's illegal for the police in most of the US to take your jewellery (because lawmakers didn't want pigs to have your wedding ring as bail payment if you get arrested) and that's why pimps stereotypically have shitloads of jewellery.

It's a very safe store of wealth, pimpically speaking.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 19, 2021, 11:31:09 PMThis raises an interesting (or tedious) point, I found when I drive (which I don't do often nowadays) it's generally my dominant hand doing the work, so generally don't bother with my left at all. When I've driven on holiday I've tried to naturally 'mirror image' my driving with my arm resting on the door half the time and nah, just doesn't work, have to right-hand it. I know you're in Portugal and with time I'm sure it becomes natural.

Driving on the right became very natural, very easily. Behind the wheel I was always reaching into the door with my left hand when I wanted to change gears, and that minor habit took longer to break.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 19, 2021, 11:31:26 PMIt's a very safe store of wealth, pimpically speaking.

In the words of a pimple?