Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 19, 2021, 11:31:26 PMIt's illegal for the police in most of the US to take your jewellery (because lawmakers didn't want pigs to have your wedding ring as bail payment if you get arrested) and that's why pimps stereotypically have shitloads of jewellery.

It's a very safe store of wealth, pimpically speaking.

I didn't know that, really interesting.

Apparently the reason Mr T was covered in gold chains was because he was a doorman who slung all the stuff the club he was working at round his neck to save people having to go in and ask for it.

Ferris

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 19, 2021, 11:41:50 PMDriving on the right became very natural, very easily. Behind the wheel I was always reaching into the door with my left hand when I wanted to change gears, and that minor habit took longer to break.

I didn't have that because the rental company 'upgraded' me to a spare vehicle that was automatic. Given I was on holiday in Iceland, which is quite hilly, I didn't really appreciate it.

I found driving on the 'wrong' side of the road incredibly natural for the most part, apart from the time I pulled a complex 8 point turn and just naturally hooned off on the wrong side of the road.

Jerzy Bondov

Had this bit of sex saved in my bookmarks for over two years and finally crumbled today. 50% off. What am I supposed to do when confronted with such a saving?

https://www.lilienthal.berlin/uk/l01-108-b023e?c=68

touchingcloth

Isn't Lilienthal Berlin Frasier's ex-wife?

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 22, 2021, 02:43:28 PMHad this bit of sex saved in my bookmarks for over two years and finally crumbled today. 50% off. What am I supposed to do when confronted with such a saving?

I like that very much. I've got a Bering (no, I'd never heard of them until a couple of years ago), which is not dissimilar but I prefer yours. Actually, Bering are worth considering for anyone looking for a slim, minimalist watch at a reasonable price.
https://beringtime.com/uk/watches/men/?p=1

Jerzy Bondov

The Bering one in green is hot af

Porky

I never wear a watch .. I worked on the railway for 30 years and had to wear a watch at work but always took it off and put in my locker before going home. These days I rely on my phone to tell the time.

Ferris

Probably common knowledge here but I was amazed to discover the "water resistance" shit on watches is absolute nonsense.

Something rated for use at 30m is actually only ever tested at depths of 10cm, and is functionally so useless that the international body who rate all this stuff advise it's probably "not suitable for showering".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification

Ferris

Anyway, I only mention it because I'm ogling a Casio Duro for all that deep sea diving I get up to.

Phwoarr. Would be great on a black nato strap I reckon.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on January 08, 2022, 11:14:50 PMProbably common knowledge here but I was amazed to discover the "water resistance" shit on watches is absolute nonsense.

Something rated for use at 30m is actually only ever tested at depths of 10cm, and is functionally so useless that the international body who rate all this stuff advise it's probably "not suitable for showering".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification

Know plenty of people who shower and have swam in a 'WR' rated Casio to no ill effects.

Apparently there are some divers who make standard cheap quartz watches suitable for diving by taking the back off and filling them with veg oil, so that at depths enough for water trying to make its way in, it has nowhere to go as oil is occupying the space already and won't compress like air, ruins the battery life but they're cheap enough it's not a problem.

easytarget

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 22, 2021, 02:43:28 PMHad this bit of sex saved in my bookmarks for over two years and finally crumbled today. 50% off. What am I supposed to do when confronted with such a saving?

What does that sub-dial do?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 19, 2021, 10:50:53 PMwearing it 180 degrees out so it's on your inner-wrist is genuinely a bit odd though isn't it?
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 19, 2021, 11:03:07 PMnah i maintain wearing it so the face on your inner wrist is odd and daft because you'll drag it over tables and stuff

It's done a lot in the Army to keep your watch-face generally facing away from any potential glint (though you're meant to have a non-reflective screen) and also so that you can take a glance at the time while holding yer rifle without having to flip your arm.

touchingcloth

Quote from: easytarget on January 09, 2022, 06:31:08 AMWhat does that sub-dial do?

I have a watch like that where the small dial is the second hand.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah it does. Anyway it kept stopping so I sent it back.

Ferris

Santa was delayed by shipping from Ukraine, but he eventually dropped off a new (old) watch. Raketa Kopernik with the funny planet hands.

Included my Big Zero because it's such a weird and nice looking watch.

the Fallen

Quote from: Porky on December 25, 2021, 06:44:28 PMI never wear a watch .. I worked on the railway for 30 years and had to wear a watch at work but always took it off and put in my locker before going home. These days I rely on my phone to tell the time.

That's most people innit.

I had a foray with watches - I went back to a nice black and gold Casio because it can light up in the dark.

That's the thing that kills most watches for me. You can't see them in the dark.

In January that's quite a factor

Ferris

Yeah if I'm out doing something even halfway practical I'll wear an F-91w or W-218H because they're cheap, practical, and they light up.

If I'm just out and about, I'll probably wear a "nicer" watch, though I don't own anything worth more than ~70 quid (and most closer to 30/40). Not cheap, but not "terrified to lose/damage it" tier (apart from 2 or 3 I've been gifted that live in a case because I don't want to damage them, QED).

Realistically, I can always check my phone if I need to know the time. I just like collecting watches for some mad reason.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I sleep and shower in my f91w, I bought it because the lack of routine in lockdown meant I kept taking my seiko off and forgetting to put it on. Will break out a posh watch if I'm going out, but that's pretty rare these days.

It's nice to be able to do the washing up or homebrew without having to decide whether to take your watch off and all.

Both those raketas are great.

gilbertharding

I wear my Garmin all the time now (like - all the time: sleeping, showering, running, riding - it's what it's for).

Before I got it I used to wear my G-Shock at weekends doing DIY or running, cycling, and my Tissot or Omega whenever I was in the office or the shops or whatever - but I'd happily wear either of those nicer watches if I was washing dishes, and I wouldn't worry about them getting splashed a bit. I had enough faith in myself not to fully immerse my left wrist in water.

I was interested in those definitions of different water resistance.

Sebastian Cobb

Typically when I do the dishes I end up like I've been swimming, then subsequently pissed my pants after putting my clothes back on.

Ferris

I deal with a 3 your old on a regular basis, so my hands come into contact with messes more unspeakable than washing up and shower gel.

I tend not to wear a watch when I'm at home for this reason.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on January 12, 2022, 11:39:39 AMI deal with a 3 your old on a regular basis, so my hands come into contact with messes more unspeakable than washing up and shower gel.

I bet you do.

Quote from: Ferris on January 12, 2022, 11:39:39 AMI tend not to wear a watch when I'm at home for this reason.

You dirty old bollocks. I bet you fucking don't.

Mr Banlon

New York World's Fair 1964/1965 'big crown'

Ferris

Anyone ever seen a Nixie tube watch before?

Onto the list it goes.

Famous Mortimer

I love the look of those, but it's too expensive for me to even dream about owning.

Ferris

Not just expensive but impractical too - once the supply of Soviet tubes dries up, that's yer lot. The smaller "watch" sized ones are even harder to source apparently.

There are clock manufacturers out there that seem slightly more sustainable but the tubes still only last a few years then you have to source replacements and learn how to install them, or chuck the whole thing in the bin.

Still lovely things though.

Ferris

While we're talking about enjoyably bonkers watches, I'd also love one of these Bulova Computrons. Trapezoid LED watch, designed at an offset angle and just brilliantly weird.

Expensive though ($350+), I suspect knockoffs are a better bet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on January 26, 2022, 02:04:10 PMWhile we're talking about enjoyably bonkers watches, I'd also love one of these Bulova Computrons. Trapezoid LED watch, designed at an offset angle and just brilliantly weird.

Expensive though ($350+), I suspect knockoffs are a better bet.

Not sure about that.

A mate got one of these reissues recently

Ripley used to wear two stitched together.

I think the reissue is an A100 and the orig was an F100.

Ferris

Nice. I quite like these Casio A500s - you can adjust the timezone and the LCD screen highlights the timezone you're in. Nice useless bit of over-engineering.