Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Started by bgmnts, January 12, 2019, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Poobum on May 10, 2022, 02:27:11 PMSpending 15 minutes cowering in a save room as Mr X stomps about. Like hiding under a desk in Alien: Isolation. It's an emotional workout, has me questioning my character.

Sounds like a weekend with the in-laws!!!

BIG LOLS!!!

Glebe

Glebe

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 04, 2022, 10:45:22 AM@Glebe are you going to give the Nemesis remake a go after this?

Fuck's sake how rude of me only saw this post now... yeah Mags hope to give it a bash when (if?!) I complete 2!

Glebe

Them sewer monsters are a real bugger.

bgmnts

Yeah I hate underground/sewer maintenance sections in Resi games, and that is no exception.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 17, 2022, 08:40:56 PMYeah I hate underground/sewer maintenance sections in Resi games, and that is no exception.

The first mutant guy I could handle but then they throw a group of them at you in a tight spot.

Glebe

Completed the first run-through as Leon, got a C grade. Doing okay as Claire now.

popcorn

Glebe

bgmnts

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 23, 2022, 08:59:48 AMEnjoy the Claire story!

I remembered she encountered the girl from the original but I'd forgotten a lot of stuff in the intervening years. Don't think they added extra locations and stuff like they did with redo of the first game?

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on May 23, 2022, 09:02:52 AMI remembered she encountered the girl from the original but I'd forgotten a lot of stuff in the intervening years. Don't think they added extra locations and stuff like they did with redo of the first game?

Nah there's not a whole lot different to be fair, it's mostly just the story and a different main enemy. Not a lot of difference for the re-plays through either which is a shame. The Sherry section is MUCH improved though.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 23, 2022, 10:16:11 AMNah there's not a whole lot different to be fair, it's mostly just the story and a different main enemy. Not a lot of difference for the re-plays through either which is a shame. The Sherry section is MUCH improved though.

Ah right. Don't actually remember the main enemy being different but it's so long since I've played the original!

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on May 23, 2022, 10:42:31 AMAh right. Don't actually remember the main enemy being different but it's so long since I've played the original!

Well iirc the main antagonist of Leon's story is Mr. X whereas for Claire it's William Birkin.
In the remake, Mr X is much cooler than Birkin.

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on March 24, 2022, 12:34:46 PMJust replayed this.

It's good, but one thing that struck me as a major problem this time is the in-gameplay dialogue. You know, when Claire says stuff like "Asshole!" or "Are you kidding me?" while you're knee-deep in zombies. It's tonally ridiculous - a complete tension-killer, with Claire sounding more like she's dealing with annoying emails from her boss than an undead uprising.

The triggers for it are also badly miscalibrated. She'll often say one of these lines when an enemy looks dead but secretly isn't, which 1) makes no sense - the zombie seems dead so why are you getting annoyed with it? and 2) spoils the tension of whether the zombie is actually dead or not.

You know that big plant you have to kill with the weedkiller stuff? It doesn't do anything in the game except pin a puzzle object to the wall, it can't attack you or anything. But as an experiment I tried shooting it, and this for some reason caused Claire to shout at it "Bastard!" and "Are you serious?". It must have some sort of enemy logic attached to it that causes Claire to react as if it's a zombie.

Other than that, pretty good game, carry on, thanks.

Yeah it's really funny when Claire is shouting "What is your problem?" at a terrifying giant monsterousity!

popcorn

Quote from: Glebe on May 25, 2022, 06:09:39 AMYeah it's really funny when Claire is shouting "What is your problem?" at a terrifying giant monsterousity!

Sounds like a weekend with my mother-in-law!!!!

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on May 25, 2022, 10:50:11 AMSounds like a weekend with my mother-in-law!!!!

Goldentony

hate the motherfucking sewers and the sewer monster bellends man, having to make it to and from that arsewiping Chess puzzle with something like three shots from that electric bolt gun? god awful

Glebe

Made it through that bit as Claire t'other night. Now I'm at William Birkin #2 when you have to smash him with the container.

Glebe

So I completed both Leon and Claire 2nd runs. Got a C grade in Standard mode for all four games.

Had a bash at The Fourth Survivor and The Ghost Survivors games, didn't get very far in any of 'em.

Goldentony

I still havent got far enough in that solo Hunk game either. Fucking impossible. I LOVE IT.

Glebe

Quote from: Goldentony on June 07, 2022, 07:38:51 PMI still havent got far enough in that solo Hunk game either. Fucking impossible. I LOVE IT.

When you complete it you unlock that 'Tofu' version I believe.

bgmnts

Itching to play some RE2 and 3 remake now fuck.

Glebe

Xbone Store got RE3 for around 15 Euro-squids. Resi 4, 5 and 6 bundle for around the same! Will prolly get around to playing them all eventually. Can't wait to be miffed by the massive racism in 5!

bgmnts

15 squids is about right, considering the lack of replayability. 4 is incredible and 5 is genuinely an amazing co-op experience so make sure you have a friend to play with.

I cant even comment on 6 because i have found it such a generic action title I havent completed it yet! And i've had it for half a decade lol

Kelvin

6 is awful, feels completely unfinished. Lots of jank, annoying mechanics, looks horrible. A few nice ideas, like a creepy subway with flickering lights, stuff like that. But it's mostly horrible to play, even in co-op*.

*I played it with the same friend I played 5 with, and it wasn't even close to as much fun. Half the time you're trying to work out what to do and wondering if you've missed something or hit a bug.

madhair60

Great shooting tho. Wish it was in a good game.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2022, 11:12:12 PM15 squids is about right, considering the lack of replayability.

Yeah I've read it's pretty short and actually cuts some stuff from the original.

BritishHobo

6 is the only one I've left unfinished. I think I like the idea of the different campaigns, but every time I boot it up I think "I really can't be arsed".

Consignia

I got 6 for a pittance in a sale, but I barely cleared the first area in Sherry and that other guy's campaign. I don't know if it was it's intrinsic poor quality or just psychological effects from hearing from others, but it just left be with a massive feeling of ennui that has left me with no desire to pick it up ever again. Not even try another route first.