Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:51:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FPS NIGHTMARES

Started by Lemming, November 17, 2019, 12:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

The real nightmare was that this thread wouldn't go on forever :(

Pink Gregory

First the FPSes, now the NIGHTMARE

shoulders

Someone play and then review a game, cheers

Ferris

I'd love to step up but as someone 5 days into an 8 day isolation in my downstairs living room with only my games consoles and high speed wifi, it's hardly the time or place.

Chollis

i'd step up but i'd be absolutely fucking shit

Ferris

Oh yeah forgot I'd be absolute shit as well

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was thinking of replaying Red Faction, since it's almost exactly 20 years since I bought it and I was feeling all nostalgic. I could write a review of that. I don't currently have a copy though.

Pink Gregory

I'm playing Doom 2016 and can think of nothing to say about it other than 'it is very good'

Not sure how strongly I feel about it, as more of a casual shooter fan.  Of course it's great to shoot demons in the fucking face but in hindsight I feel like it plays some things a bit safe where later explicitly retro styled FPSes didn't.

Probably more to do with its budget and position as a commercial product with a major publisher behind it more than any individual design choice.

Also 2016 was a long time ago in games terms I guess.

Ferris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 24, 2021, 04:50:31 PMI was thinking of replaying Red Faction, since it's almost exactly 20 years since I bought it and I was feeling all nostalgic. I could write a review of that. I don't currently have a copy though.

It's on Playstation Now, if that's of any use. I played it the other week, its still good fun.

Weirdly, I hated the new Doom. Felt too self-aware and slick.

Pink Gregory

Slick is right.  The movement really lacks something, maybe it's a bit too slow, or glidey, lacking a bit of feedback?

Ferris

Yeah I think "glidey" is about right, and (to me anyway) it felt like a shortcut to the manic gameplay of the original. Just turn the game-speed up to 1.3x and call it a day, rather than do more level design or whatever.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ferris on December 24, 2021, 04:49:23 PMOh yeah forgot I'd be absolute shit as well

No offence to anyone, but if it's not Lemming it's not the real thing. :(

Those fucking glory kill animations were a stupid idea. They made the combat really stilted.
They locked the mouselook when they were happening, so instead of being able to line up your next shot while you were gutting some fatty daemon, you just had to sit there and wait for the game to let you be in control again and continue the fight.

I think that sort of thing works better when you're playing on console or sat back with a pad, but not when you've got your sleeves rolled up and you're leaning forward, directly plugged in, hell bent on cleansing hell.

There was a perk you could get that doubled the speed of the animations or something, which was better, but they were still annoying as fuck.

Those brief moments in the campaign where they spawned enough enemies and everything was flowing and you were bouncing around shooting nasties was great, but they were short lived and spaced out between lots of downtime.
Lots of unskippable dialogue bits where you couldn't do anything but sit through some boring waffle.
Multiplayer was dead on arrival.

The right arm fell off my chair so I just play shmups now. Maybe I could play with a mouse without supporting my arm, I don't know, sounds like a one way ticket to backnacker city though.

I think Nightmare Reaper was the last fps I played that I really liked - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051690/Nightmare_Reaper/
Oh, and Gunfire Reborn, which is multiplayer roguelite fps, but I just played it single player, and it works very well like that and is loads of fun - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1217060/Gunfire_Reborn/
Oh, that one's out of early access now! I really want to fire it up and check out the new characters. I'm gonna have to get a bloody decent chair somehow. I can't go on like this.

purlieu

I notice Lemmings has time for bloody in-depth Star Trek chatter but not for lovely in depth FPS chatter. I propose we petition Barry to close all Star Trek threads (except the Voyager one I'm posting in at the minute) to get Lemmings back over here.

Lemming

Got so caught up in my in-depth Star Trek chatter that I didn't realise it had been nearly half a year since I'd engaged in an FPS NIGHTMARE!

I remember looking ahead at the games to come a few times, getting demoralized by some of the stuff to get through - true FPS NIGHTMARES material - and thinking "yeah I'll get round to that later", and of course later never came.

We left off on the majestic Project IGI, I see. Oh god. Alright, I'll play and review it some time in the next two weeks, that's an IRONCLAD PLEDGE I'm going to hold myself to.

Ferris

Ferris

Mister Six

CHRISTMAS HAS BEEN SAVED!

Ferris

Been playing Half Life in honour of this thread.

...it's fucking good innit? Never played it before. It's mega.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ferris on December 26, 2021, 02:47:59 AMBeen playing Half Life in honour of this thread.

You can get it on the Quest via the SideQuest app. It's great.

Lemming

Quote from: Ferris on December 26, 2021, 02:47:59 AMBeen playing Half Life in honour of this thread.

Have you gotten to the shark cage bit yet? Absolutely shitting yourself during the shark cage bit is a rite of passage.

H-O-W-L

I never shit myself during it 'cos I've done so much work with HL1 and HL2's engines for mods that I know the perfect spot to hug the Icthyosaur's arse and crowbar it to death.

Ferris

I've just been doing nondescript bits of escaping so far. I'm playing on easy (no you're pathetic) because I'm not used to playing FPS games on PC, but it is still happy to kill you in one shot with no warning and if you don't like it then tough shit.

It's good. Everything is intuitive without being obvious, and I can see there's tons of rooms/corridors I haven't gone down that are probably full of goodies but I don't know the game well enough to pick out the good ones. I'm trying to see everything, but that involves judgment on what's likely to be progression versus a side-room and I've definitely missed stuff. Proper atmospheric as well.

I've got the shotgun now, which is nice.

H-O-W-L

If you ever fancy installing Sven Coop, the free standalone Half-Life coop mod, Ferris, do give me a shout. That goes for anyone here, really. Even if you want to play the fantastic but horrific mod Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut in Sven. I'd gladly host a night of either for a couple CABlads. Complete with director's commentary from my dozy arse!

Ferris

Might be up for that, though timezones mean I won't be online until past midnight UK time at the earliest for coop stuff which is a bit of a pain.

Had an annoying autosave point where I had 6% health just before a room of bastards but I like the game so much I pushed through which is rare for a lazy fucker like me. Killed the big tentacle thing which took ages, just jumped down that big tunnel and off to another chapter of baddie-fragging action!

If I have anything else to say I'll make a new thread to avoid clogging up this one.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Ferris on December 27, 2021, 02:52:46 AMMight be up for that, though timezones mean I won't be online until past midnight UK time at the earliest for coop stuff which is a bit of a pain.

Ahh I'm up all fuckin night anyway, nae bother. Just let us know whenever.

ASFTSN

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on December 24, 2021, 09:17:48 PMI think Nightmare Reaper was the last fps I played that I really liked - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051690/Nightmare_Reaper/

Beautiful game. So much variety even in early access and every playthrough can feel as different as you want to.  Has its own special weird atmosphere too, I particularly liked the cursed office block levels.

The Crumb

So I felt like some flash yet old fashioned shooting action and got Wolfenstein the old blood well cheap. It's pretty fun so far, but jesus the residual late 2000s bloat makes me really appreciate how bold and tightly designed Doom 2016 was.

popcorn

anyone in this thread played "Half Life"

?

Ferris

No but heard a lot of good things.