Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Youtube Channels

Started by peanutbutter, May 05, 2020, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

So what're some good ones these days? Are any of the people from the JonTron/AVGM eras still putting out stuff that would appeal to anyone beyond their dwindling existing audiences?

I've been enjoying a binge of Caddicarus's ones, and his more recent ones have been going reasonably in depth into some topics I've a lot of time for (late 90s gaming mags and demo discs). Helps a lot that his area of focus overlaps hugely with the peak of my nostalgia.
Jeremy Parish has been quietly chucking out loads of these short super dry factual ones that've been neat, his super geeky podcasts with Benj Edwards have been great too.
No clue if I like him but ThorHighHeels seems to have an absurd output of reasonably well edited mid-length videos on topics I can easily watch.
SuperEyepatchWolf seems very hbomberguy influenced but his hitrate and choice of topics has been really high, is very good at picking out topics that I absolutely would be interested in but not enough to ever bother diving into myself (e.g. his martial arts one from a few weeks back).

Cold Meat Platter

https://www.youtube.com/civvie11

Classic FPS game reviews, humourous, good accompaniment to Lemming's FPS thread.

Clownbaby

Yeees Caddicarus! He's just on the edge of possibly being a bit irritating when he drags out a dorky joke but I like that he leans toward sharing the feel of games and emotional responses to them (rather than reciting off generically technical stats to prove a point) like bits he found inexplicably funny, pointing out the campness of game dialogue and storylines that many reviewers wouldn't pick up on or just wouldn't bother to mention. I like ThorHighHeels for the same kind or reason in that he has very specific observations about the games he reviews and gets a fair bit florid at times while trying to get a feeling across. I know reviews are supposed to be factually persuasive but I like it when someone is transparently saying how they feel. If I agree with how they FEEL about games I already know or at least see where they're coming from, it's a good place for me to find more games I might actually like.

People kept suggesting Raycevik as one of the better game reviewers, I can't get into him myself but his channel is well put together, not gimmicky, maybe worth a look

evilcommiedictator

Zero Punctuation is still going, but as with all gaming things, there's a lot of personal taste

Abnormal Palm

Matthewmatosis is brilliant. Souls and Nintendo deep dives, predominantly.

Kelvin

I like KindaFunny Games Daily over on KindaFunny Games, as a fairly in depth and engaging daily breakdown of the major gaming news stories, from Monday to Friday. A good blend of discussion around industry stuff like employee rights / PR faux pas, and more standard discussion around the daily games announcements. The Wednesday show is always a highlight, as the host is usually joined by Gary Whitta, who's hilarious. The other Kinda Funny content varies in quality (Gamescast is alright, but the rest is pretty awful nowadays), but I strongly recommend Games Daily for quality multi-platform industry discussion.   

GameXplain is a load of clickbaity shite these days. I used to love their in-depth Nintendo discussions, but as they've grown the channel, they seem to have moved away from that kind of coverage, into mediocre scripted content and highlighting stuff they've seen on twitter.

I watch loads more, but I'll maybe go through some of them later.

Abnormal Palm

Electric Underground is amazing for shmup stuff. Loads of interviews and different themes and stuff.

STG Weekly is God tier for shmup stuff. World record replays and commentary from top players. It's absurdly good if you're into the genre.

Pink Gregory

Super Bunnyhop always has interesting stuff to say.  Basically video essays, but covering both games themselves and industry stuff.  I think the last one was comparing Death Stranding to bicycle touring across the USA.

Jim Bob

Ancient DOS Games - Hosted by a homebew programmer.  He uploads reviews of classic DOS games, which are focused more towards the technical appraisal side of things (which can be quite dry but his thoughts are always interesting and knowledgeable).  He also does a weekly show where he digs through a Shareware CD-ROM, playing three randomly selected titles at a time, titled 'Shovelware Diggers'.  This weekly show is a hoot because as you might expect for a cheap release containing thousands of free games, there's a lot of bizarre and craptastic titles stuffed onto that shareware disc and hearing his reaction to them is very entertaining.

Pushing Up Roses - A really nice channel, presented by a lass with a real passion for games (particularly point & click adventure games).  Her presenting style is humorous.  She's been breaking from convention and delving into a lot of TV shows as of late (strange Murder She Wrote episodes mainly), which I'm less keen on than the videogame content but it's still entertaining.  If you're only interested in the gaming side of things, then go through her video history, dating back 6 months and beyond - there's a wealth of great content there.

Lazy Game Reviews - A great channel, covering games and all things relating to 90s PC gaming (his reviews of strange software/games and odd hardware gimmicks are the highlights for me).  One of the most passionate gaming channels on YouTube.

madhair60

Caddy, Civvie and me are the only good ones really

Dewt

Dewt

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HyRf8pnUeT7bFeAPsA8HQ - his new series "The Infinite Review" and associated podcast are smashing, the kind of thing that could only come from the British Isles, and his old game stuff is good too, especially his Christmas eps which are muted mental breakdowns.

Kim Justice is one of my mainstays. Really good retro gaming documentaries that touch on film, TV, and so much more, and she makes bucketloads of them, too.

Dewt

Extremely unpretentious content too.

peanutbutter

cheers for the recs, I've added a few to my queue.

Kim Justice has done some fantastic stuff, and considering the stuff she covers is often not covered by anyone else, important from a historical perspective, but seems to go through patches where there'll be months of stuff I couldn't care about.

Some others I follow and forgot about:
Modern Vintage Gamer giving an insight into the emulation scenes of the past is always pretty fucking good stuff  https://www.youtube.com/user/jimako123
minimme seems to be really good at picking off kilter topics that are obviously very interesting (e.g. late-period movie tie ins that were interesting in some way) https://www.youtube.com/user/minimme123/videos
Jim Sterling obvs, he can be a bit one note but I can't blame him tbh
Digital Foundry, but mostly for videos like this which aren't super common https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784MUbDoLjQ

There's others like Scott the Woz that I don't actively follow but seem to wind up watching all of his videos anyway cos the algorithm pushes them on me so heavily.  He's definitely some kind of good, can cover a lot pretty fast and has good timing or something, but... something about him annoys me too.

and the ones I mentioned above that I forgot to include links for
Super Eyepatch Wolf https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGoikgbxP4F3rgI9PldI9g
Jeremy Parish https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrIttXi0WgLXHI1poCk0D6g
https://www.youtube.com/user/Caddicarus
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThorHighHeels (surprised by the subscriber count!)

Quote from: His Name Is Death on May 05, 2020, 09:52:54 PM
Kim Justice is one of my mainstays. Really good retro gaming documentaries that touch on film, TV, and so much more, and she makes bucketloads of them, too.

Yeah, Kim is excellent.  One of my favourites also.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

On the subject of Kim Justice, does anyone know what happened to her video about Oasis' Be Here Now? I felt like wallowing in a bit of '90s nostalgia, only to find it gone. Copyright strike, I assume, but there are plenty of other videos about the subject.

Some other ones that I watch:

Noah Caldwell Gervais
Don't let the surname put you off. Long form (extremely so on occasion) video essay type reviews and retrospectives.

The Sphere Hunter and TheGamingBritShow
Both channels with a particular focus on the Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games. I've not played any Resi since 4 and have never played a DMC game, but I find both channels engaging (and they do cover other stuff).

RagnarRox
Similarly horror themed channel, mostly covering games, but also the odd bit of cinema and whatnot. Has a very pleasant voice.

Consolevania
The original and, well, not quite the best any more, but still worth watching.

H-O-W-L

Heard Caldwell-Gervais audibly burp in one of his videos, and that combined with his constant audible throat-clearing, finger-licking, and page-turning made me fuck his videos off forever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

His audio does have a bit of a warts and all approach. I assume he records it all in a single sitting, probably to 8-track tape or somesuch.

Thursday

Aye does irk me a bit, I feel like there's a probably a better setup he could have that would get around this problem, but I guess that's the way it is.

H-O-W-L

Considering he clearly digitally edits the audio to fit it into the runtime of the video track he has, he has legitimately no excuse for not just clipping out the burps and farts, so to speak. Really bothers the fuck out of me.

Zetetic

I think the audio quality has improved considerably over the years, to be honest.

Osmium

Don't bother watching thorhighheels if burping gets on your tits.

Sega Lord X puts out regular 10 to 30 minute videos that mostly focus on, but aren't restricted to, 90s Sega.

Abnormal Palm

Yeah, SEGA Lord X is right up my street.

Dewt

Like most YouTubers I wish he'd speak like he does in real-life instead of like somebody narrating a home-video release but I do like his videos.

As peanutbutter mentioned, Modern Vintage Gamer is good. Some of the content is the usual tech game nerd clickbait fodder, but he's a humble guy (in one video he casually dropped the fact that he was instrumental in the XBox emulation scene, which is a surprise because he makes everything so accessible that you would think he was a tech enthusiast more than a wizard). Also Australian people are less annoying than Brits and Americans so that's a plus. Listen to him there, talking like a human does.

Bazooka

I've got to really like someone to watch their unboxing videos, that's my gauge.

If you are into speedrunning Karl Jobst does good coverage of the techniques used in runs, rather that doing his own. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhYDjVcqfxY

Poobum

I like the more casual, bordering on lets play ones rather that in depth esoterica. Triple Jump (two of the Vidiots) are good, always enjoy their worst games ever videos, and Rules Boss challenges. They do all kinds of interesting videos, and their list videos are far above the usual standard. Their podcasts are good meandering fun as well, and they still chuck out the odd Vidiots one. I really enjoyed Octavius Kitten, had good lo-fi, silly yet informed videos, shame her mental health has stopped her uploading as much. I also love Game Grumps, but that's probably too far away from what OP means, but it is good natured high energy fun. Their Mario Maker levels genuinely have me in tears. The amount of content they put out is immense, along with the fact that they never come across as contrived or forced, is a testament to their chemistry.

Abnormal Palm

"Hello, you absolute LEGENDS."

Karl Jobst does some brilliant vids about the history of speedrunning.

Summoning Salt is also fantastic on the same theme.

Bazooka

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 07, 2020, 07:15:39 AM
"Hello, you absolute LEGENDS."

Karl Jobst does some brilliant vids about the history of speedrunning.

Summoning Salt is also fantastic on the same theme.

Yeah Summoning Salt has one of those good voices, his Mike Tyson's Punchout vid is brilliant.