Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Anyway, I've had a fantastic time watching episode one of An Unearthly Child tonight. And in case anyone thinks it's weird I only watch episode one of An Unearthly Child this time each year, I've also watched episode two of An Unearthly Child.

Alberon

I watched the first three episodes of Galaxy 4 (not because of the date, but because Mrs Alberon was out).

Pile of old toss really. Not exactly the best story of the 1st Doctor. Going from the larger scale of the animation to the surviving episode shot in a broom cupboard doesn't help either.

Replies From View

It's a shame, because I suspect the sales of Galaxy 4 will be used as a gauge of whether people want further William Hartnell stories animated.

JamesTC

I'm not sure there will be all that much difference over something like The Macra Terror or The Faceless Ones.

Besides, BBC America provide the majority of the funding so the success of any animation done under that model is predicated on them.

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 23, 2021, 05:19:31 PMIt's Doctor Who Day, so Outpost Gallifrey's annual Top Three Tournament has once again reached its climax. Remember (as if anyone could forget) this is where a couple of hundred die-hard OG obsessives spend months voting their favourite three stories through interminable knockout rounds to finally discover which story is the best.

And the results are in!

6 Genesis of the Daleks 181pts
5 Human Nature 183pts
4 City of Death 185pts
3 Pyramids of Mars 198pts
2 The Parting of the Ways 205pts

Spoiler alert
1 The Curse of Fenric 227pts
[close]

Yeah, you read that right... the fickle finger of fandom huh.

Well that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

JamesTC

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 12:42:58 PMWell that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

I assume through the way the knockout system worked, both it and The Parting of the Ways got lucky.

Norton Canes

Quote from: pigamus on November 24, 2021, 12:42:58 PMWell that's made my day. Any particular reason why it won? Are they just bored of Caves of Androzani always winning?

Short answer: yes.

In the first few years of the tournament it was the hoary old classics like Talons, The War Games and Inferno that always won. When Caves of Androzani came out on top in 2016 it was its fifth win in fifteen years. That seemed to mark a watershed as since then, it's rarerly even troubled the semi-finals. 

The last couple of years have seen concerted efforts to get victories for other well-regarded stories - last year The Robots of Death triumphed for the first time. This 'bandwagon' phenomenon has seen other odd victories, such as Kinda finishing joint top with The Empty Child in 2012. And over the last couple of years there's been a huge surge toward McCoy's stories, with only the fact that the vote is usually split between them preventing an earlier win. When Fenric found itself the lone McCoy in this year's final, a win was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Human Nature, The Day of the Doctor, Heaven Sent and World Enough and Time have all won in the first tournaments since their broadcast, which has been nice.

For next year I predict a big attempt to get a first victory for a Hartnell story.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2021, 01:13:57 PMI assume through the way the knockout system worked, both it and The Parting of the Ways got lucky.

Yeah, a lot of it's down to the luck of the (random) draw

pigamus

When I clicked the spoiler I thought it was going to be Blink!

Small Man Big Horse

I watched the tv movie for the first time since it aired today and was surprised by how much I liked it. It starts badly, what with the weird opening where the Master explodes thanks to the (never actually seen) Daleks, somehow becomes a blob of slime that the Doctor has to take to Gallifrey in a casket, but then escapes and slithers in to the Tardis causing it to land on Earth, and unfortunately for the Doctor the moment he steps out of the Tardis he's shot to death by some angry Chinese fellas, but I enjoyed what follows. Sure, a whole bunch of the dialogue is corny and there's a lot of goofy nonsense in general, but Paul McGann makes for a superb Doctor and I can't help but wish due to him alone we'd seen more of this version of the show.

purlieu

The snake blob Master is explained in the novelisation, some kind of creature that can transfer consciouses or something.

JamesTC

I don't have a problem with snake Master. He always has a backup plan to get out of things as has been shown numerous times. You even knew that Missy was going to have some sort of way out in World Enough and Time.

I rather like Eric Roberts as The Master at the end. Once he knows he has won, he properly camps it up and really captures a joyfully insidious side of the character not seen before.

It always has a special place in my heart as my first Doctor Who story. That and the early morning omnibus Pertwee repeats on UK Gold. Colony in Space in particular is memorable in those early years as a fan.

Small Man Big Horse

I just thought the way we see the Master explode and then the next thing he's all slimy didn't really add up, but once he's in snake form it oddly didn't bother me. And I quite liked Roberts performance throughout, which isn't something I can say about many of his roles, and I'm with you about how at the end he's enormous fun, I'm even tempted to check out the Big Finish he's in to see what that's like.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on December 01, 2021, 08:20:32 PMThe snake blob Master is explained in the novelisation, some kind of creature that can transfer consciouses or something.

I mean it's not much more stupid than the ring stuff with the Master in RTD's time.  And that resulted in the Master keeping the same body!

I think that once you have acclimatised to the post 2005 version of the show, the TV movie is easier to accept.  When it felt wrong for me was the mid 90s when the most recent Doctor Who on telly at the time had been Pertwee repeats, with their more naturalistic pacing and breathing room than the TV movie had time for.

Replies From View

I get the sense they didn't quite know how Eric Roberts' Master should be portrayed.  One minute he thinks he's in Terminator 2, and the next the Rocky Horror Show.  Quite dramatic shifts for no clear reason.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 02, 2021, 10:19:54 AMI mean it's not much more stupid than the ring stuff with the Master in RTD's time.  And that resulted in the Master keeping the same body!

I think that once you have acclimatised to the post 2005 version of the show, the TV movie is easier to accept.  When it felt wrong for me was the mid 90s when the most recent Doctor Who on telly at the time had been Pertwee repeats, with their more naturalistic pacing and breathing room than the TV movie had time for.

Absolutely.

There's a shot in the TV Movie where the Doctor and Grace hold hands and run over the camera. It's very 2005.

Also, I mentally make the steps light up before ...

Norton Canes

Watched it on original transmission, never seen it since. Perhaps I should stick it on at New Year's Eve.

Replies From View

The later DVD release has a commentary with McCoy and McGann sitting together and chatting.  Watch it for that.

Gurke and Hare

Chris Achilleos who painted lots of Target covers has died.

KKLAK!

purlieu

Bernice Summerfield and the Raiders of the Lost Ark The Sword of Forever by Jim Mortimore.

Benny and an explorer who owns London have to track down various Christian relics in order to work out the link between her own eight million year old skull - found in Antarctica with words carved into it alongside the skeleton of a super-intelligent velociraptor - a mad dictator trying to rule Earth, and the journal of Benny's first love, whose death she blames herself for. Along the way there's a lot of Indiana Jones style temple robbing, a factory covering Scotland run by intelligent pigs, some Men in Black working for the Freemasons and representing the Knights Templar, the history of the intelligent raptors, Benny marries the guy who owns London as a way to get access to a library, and, it being Jim Mortimore, there's an unnecessarily brutal alien mutation that results in the Red Cross having to go around wiping out the entire populations of numerous African countries. It all results in Benny being crucified to stop the mad dictator replacing Earth with a planet populated by clones of Christ.

The most pretentious load of dreck I've read in a long time. Saved by some entertaining passages, but I really cannot be arsed with Jim Mortimore. The amount of time it took to get through that is pretty telling.

Next time on The Eighth Doctor Adventures... Kate Orman, please save me from this run of poor books.

Mister Six

Thought this was funny enough to reproduce here, even though I know memes are generally not the done thing.

pigamus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 09, 2021, 08:57:47 PMChris Achilleos who painted lots of Target covers has died.

KKLAK!

Obvious Dr Who things you've only just realised - as a kid I thought he was called Chris A-killy-oss, but suppose it's Akki-lay-oss, isn't it?

Replies From View

Norton Canes

Always loved the sheer audacity of this swipe

Replies From View

Feels like that's a fairly generic or unremarkable design that wouldn't have originated with either.

mjwilson

I believe it is a deliberate homage.

Deanjam

Got a notification that my season 17 bluray set has been dispatched for delivery in the next couple of days. So if you've got it on order, you might actually get it before Christmas.

purlieu

Yeah, mine's going to be delivered on Monday. Looking forward to getting around to watching it next November at my current viewing rate.

McDead

Quote from: Replies From View on December 18, 2021, 03:16:18 PMFeels like that's a fairly generic or unremarkable design that wouldn't have originated with either.

The hands are a direct swipe

JamesTC

Feel like shit, just want to watch episodic Shada.

Replies From View

Quote from: McDead on December 19, 2021, 02:34:56 PMThe hands are a direct swipe

True, actually.  I clearly hadn't looked very closely.