Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: Pranet on October 15, 2021, 06:41:54 PM
I found what I thought I remembered:

http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/20/03/2020/index.html

I think they were paid from the audience ticket sales at the time- I seem to remember them talking about some weeks it would be £50 or whatever. The charity he is talking about is a fund set up for comedians put out of work by the first lockdown.

I don't know where the money for old RHLSTP's is going. (Edit- he says for podcasts)

Thanks for checking that out. I'm astonished. (Not about the charity part; that rings a bell for me and is indeed a kind thing to do - the paying the cast part is astonishing. An odd arrangement).

Edit: New page cumpkin.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: easytarget on October 15, 2021, 07:33:57 PM
Gets a lot of milage out the first thing he says: "Garment?"

He seems to be one of those naturally funny people.

Steve Coogan described him as someone who makes you laugh, but you don't quite understand how he's done it. I think there's some mutual admiration there.

EggsLikeABird

Has anyone heard the commentary tracks on the Fist of Fun DVD? Herring laughs at the material throughout, and Lee seems embarrassed by it. Its quite fascinating. When Lee chips in, it makes me wonder if he cant remember this stuff or if he doesnt want to.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah I watched it this week. Stew starts off quite amused in the first episode and is really engaged, commenting on what he likes and what he doesn't. By the fifth episode he's gone really quiet and has no positives to say about anything but the other performers. It's uncomfortable listening, knowing now that his reluctance to get involved with rereleasing This Morning was a key factor in their falling out.

Especially when during the last episode of series 1 Stewart mentions his intention not to work with Rich again and how much better than him he is, which has transpired.

Going to listen to series 2 this week but know from watching it before that you can even tell from Stew's performance how much he didn't enjoy making it, with no notice, less money and a new horrible set. Series 2 has better sketches, though, but Series 1 is better in general.

You get glimpses of his grumpiness and reticence at the time if you watch the filming sessions included in the extras, an interesting counterpoint to Rich trying to amuse the audience between takes. It's surprising to discover that Stew was like that even when he was young, even though it feels like "old man" behaviour

EggsLikeABird

Spoiler: the first episode of the second series commentary ends with Lee saying "was that it? Jesus Christ" in a stunned fashion, like he couldnt believe they allowed that to air.

DrGreggles

The commentary highlight is undoubtedly them giggling at the silliness of Ian News.

Mobbd

I remember a DVD extra where they're sitting on (I think) Rich's back patio looking at old clippings. Lee says something about Rich always been concerned with documentation and maintaining his legacy. It was passive-aggression and it visibly annoyed Rich.

It's the kids I feel sorry for.

EggsLikeABird

Damn, only bought the downloaded version. Had no idea there were extras. Gutted. Wouldnt have minded checking out that "Lee and Herring's '90s Nostalgia" thing. Is it worth a look?

Mobbd

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on October 17, 2021, 05:56:21 PM
Damn, only bought the downloaded version. Had no idea there were extras. Gutted. Wouldnt have minded checking out that "Lee and Herring's '90s Nostalgia" thing. Is it worth a look?

It is! Deep dives for L&H fans. The complete rushes are on there even.

olliebean

Herring seems to have become one of those tedious people who post detailed stats of their exercise sessions on Facebook.

AllisonSays

This is very much of a piece with his character, the kind of guy who used to talk about how much he had to drink in excruciating detail and now has moved into doing the same thing with exercise. He's a quantifier. Very English trait, I hope that's not a xenophobic opinion.

Cold Meat Platter

I found it interesting when he mentioned in a RHLSTP that he has no mind's eye. He can't visualise anything at all.

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: AllisonSays on October 17, 2021, 10:02:58 PM
He's a quantifier. Very English trait, I hope that's not a xenophobic opinion.
Well, of course, they're all xenophobic opinions when I get done with them.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 17, 2021, 10:10:11 PM
I found it interesting when he mentioned in a RHLSTP that he has no mind's eye. He can't visualise anything at all.

Hang on, if you close your eyes, can you 'see' stuff that you imagine, or just sort of conceptualise it in your head?

I just see black.

sutin

I still don't really know what he means by that. He can't think of an object he's familiar with in his brain?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: sutin on October 18, 2021, 12:48:21 AM
I still don't really know what he means by that. He can't think of an object he's familiar with in his brain?

It's what's called aphantasia.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/aphantasia-life-with-no-minds-eye/

Avril Lavigne

He also doesn't like or care about music, same as David Mitchell.  That throws the difference between him and Lee into sharp relief for me.

Pranet

I don't think it is the same at David Mitchell. Isn't he supposed to own 4 albums, one of which is by Susan Boyle?

Off the top of my head I can remember Herring expressing a like for Paul Simon, Terry Hall, The Go Team and Ben Folds. He talked about listening to the Sex Pistols five years after the fact in Cheddar.

He says that he was more into comedy than music growing up, and he affected a disinterest in music for a while, but it isn't true to say he has no interest in it.

stonkers

I wou;dn't like music either if I'd been exposed to Stew's taste in it for years.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Pranet on October 18, 2021, 09:32:07 AM
I don't think it is the same at David Mitchell. Isn't he supposed to own 4 albums, one of which is by Susan Boyle?

Off the top of my head I can remember Herring expressing a like for Paul Simon, Terry Hall, The Go Team and Ben Folds. He talked about listening to the Sex Pistols five years after the fact in Cheddar.

He says that he was more into comedy than music growing up, and he affected a disinterest in music for a while, but it isn't true to say he has no interest in it.

Yeah that's fair, I just heard him bring up not being too into music again recently and it did make me think about how as a musician and obsessive music nerd (which Lee definitely is) I always feel a bit distant/disconnected from friends who don't have any interest in music at all.

PlanktonSideburns

Loving tims' total distain for herring instantly getting him on and talking about his holiday to centreparks. Best way to do RHLSTP i think, go in swinging

markburgle

Quote from: sutin on October 18, 2021, 12:48:21 AM

I recognised what he was on about. I've known a few visual artists who would mention being able to vividly picture scenes and objects in their minds, in full colour. In my mind I only "see" vague outlines. Long descriptive passages in books are lost on me, can't make much sense of them

Icehaven

Quote from: markburgle on October 18, 2021, 11:11:21 AM
I recognised what he was on about. I've known a few visual artists who would mention being able to vividly picture scenes and objects in their minds, in full colour. In my mind I only "see" vague outlines. Long descriptive passages in books are lost on me, can't make much sense of them

I have a similar thing, I wouldn't say I've got no mind's eye at all but it's very, very poor and I have great difficulty conjuring up images from scratch so when reading a description of something I'm unfamiliar with it invariably ends up strongly resembling something I am familiar with.   

Pink Gregory

Yeah I know someone who's described the same thing.  Wonder how common it is.

pigamus

No I'm not very visual either. Yer man's red wheelbarrow and the white chickens... I just think of the wheelbarrow in our back garden that had an orange ball for a wheel... but even that I don't picture very clearly, just a vague image of our back garden.

sutin

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 18, 2021, 10:32:43 AM
Yeah that's fair, I just heard him bring up not being too into music again recently and it did make me think about how as a musician and obsessive music nerd (which Lee definitely is) I always feel a bit distant/disconnected from friends who don't have any interest in music at all.

I'm not sure I could be friends with anyone with no interest in music. We don't have to be into the same music, it's just that sharing of the music listening experience that's been always been the sole connecting force for me.

That article on aphantasia is pretty scary stuff. Not being able to picture an old friends face in your brain, oh my.

sutin

Quote from: Pranet on October 18, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

I think Herring's thing is that he likes to hammer home as much as possible that comedy is his biggest and most passionate lifelong interest. I think he only says that he doesn't like music so that he can say that he's way more interested in comedy.

Mr Trumpet

I like listening to music, but I wouldn't claim any sort of passion for it. It's background decoration when you're doing other things, not something to focus on and build part of your identity around. So I suppose i'm with Herring on this one.

Shaky

Herring waxed on about Terry Hall's solo stuff when he was on RHLSTP so I imagine he likes what he likes and that's fine, really.

Pink Gregory

He hasn't really continued an interest in comedy outside of the comedy he liked when he was growing up, though, has he?

I thought the three series of RHEFP were really good for that, introduced me to a lot of circuit/fringe standups that I would have had no idea about otherwise; other than that he's not as much of a comedy nerd as some of the people on here, or maybe that's because RHLSTP isn't supposed to be niche?

Obviously I like Richard still, but there's just something about him that I find...incurious?  Maybe it's age.