Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:09:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Control

Started by Blue Jam, June 16, 2020, 12:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 27, 2023, 11:17:23 PMRe: The Tomassi boss fight:

Spoiler alert
That bloody big rock in the middle of the room is ideal for hiding behind, d'oh
[close]

Just beat Tomassi now, GET IN

After trying about 50 times with multiple different tactics - hide behind the rocks! Hide up on the netting on the ceiling! Hide in the corners! Don't hide, just keep running and gunning! - I just said fuck it and turned on immortality in the menu. Cheating? Yes, but fuck it.

I don't think I got the Asynchronous Suit. Was that a preorder DLC one?

I mostly used the golden roulette suit because:

Quote from: Mister Six on June 30, 2023, 08:13:27 PMevery time I use Levitate, it's like

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Finished this up last night and got all the main game + dlc achievements. I'll admit I ended up turning on immortality and one hit kills at some point because the combat was starting to bore the crap out of me though.

madhair60

hmm. the pit is really hard!

madhair60

Mister Six

Hooray! Revisit some areas and have a poke about - there's a nice little Metroidvania aspect to this game, and flying is one of the ways you can open up new secrets and areas.

Deffo do the side missions to get the other powers, like Shield and Dash. They'll prove very useful down the line.

madhair60

TAKE

CONTROL

DUNUNUNUH

NUH NUH NUH NUH

madhair60

this game has to be one of the biggest like... "no no keep playing" games ever, because I dropped it twice, I was just not enjoying it, and i don't know what changed but i'd say maybe... two hours in? maybe three? Control starts rocketing to the moon and it hasn't come down yet. Ashtray Maze, which I just did? fucking k-i-n-o.

Mister Six

Yeah, the Ashtray Maze is a lot of fun, although I wasn't as blown away as some people were.

Have you played the AWE DLC? Do that before the Foundation DLC, which acts as the ending proper to the game. Maybe wait till you've finished the main game at this point, as the Ashtray Maze is when it starts building up momentum for the endgame.

Proactive

Think Ashtray Maze is probably my favourite section in a game, although I think it can only be experienced properly once. Might fucking listen to the song right now actually.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on October 29, 2023, 11:54:06 PMthis game has to be one of the biggest like... "no no keep playing" games ever, because I dropped it twice, I was just not enjoying it, and i don't know what changed but i'd say maybe... two hours in? maybe three? Control starts rocketing to the moon and it hasn't come down yet. Ashtray Maze, which I just did? fucking k-i-n-o.
Absolutely. It's such a good game.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on October 29, 2023, 11:54:06 PMthis game has to be one of the biggest like... "no no keep playing" games ever, because I dropped it twice, I was just not enjoying it, and i don't know what changed but i'd say maybe... two hours in? maybe three? Control starts rocketing to the moon and it hasn't come down yet. Ashtray Maze, which I just did? fucking k-i-n-o.
Absolutely. It's such a good game. I did try and get through the maze for some time, the first time, without realising I wasn't supposed to be in there yet. Is that the bit I'm thinking of?

madhair60

I have reached a point in Control where I feel as though it is no longer enjoyable and I am not sure if I can be bothered to finish it

Blue Jam

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2023, 03:55:06 PMI have reached a point in Control where I feel as though it is no longer enjoyable and I am not sure if I can be bothered to finish it

Spoiler alert
The Hedron Chamber, yeah?
[close]

madhair60

yes. fuck!

i finished it now. it seems to have just ended without really tying things up at all. i have now uninstalled the game.

i may do the DLC some other time. i've had enough Control for now

Mister Six

I blazed through the Hedron chamber somehow, and yes the ending is the dampest possible squib. Felt like they ran out of budget or time and had to wrap it up immediately. The Foundation DLC ties things up better, but I understand not wanting to bother.

madhair60

i expect i'll play it sometime. i want to clear something else from the backlog. maybe Call of Duty Vanguard... but it's shit.

bgmnts

Feel genuine vicarious relief for madhair here.

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2023, 05:00:23 PMyes. fuck!

i finished it now. it seems to have just ended without really tying things up at all. i have now uninstalled the game.

i may do the DLC some other time. i've had enough Control for now

Just to make sure though
Spoiler alert
You didn't turn off at the fake end credits did you?
[close]

I saw you posting a bit that I think is after them, so I think not. Obviously it does still end on a bit of a "DLC and sequels to come" ending though.

ASFTSN

Finished this today (without the DLC and barely any side missions) as the one game I'm allowed to waste time on over the Christmas period. It's like they made the most satisfying and hefty combat system possible, fell in love with it and then repeated it a thousand times. Which was addictive as owt and means it will see a replay from me, but it never got outside of its safe zone even with several bells and whistles.

I really liked the atmosphere of the early sections, but if there was a game that could benefit from one or three new enemy types (and maybe some things that are a little less boring) it's this.

Can't argue with Pierce/Charge and launch attack though, satisfying as hell. Also appreciated that the setting wasn't afraid to be silly/absurd as fuck, see
Spoiler alert
Threshold Kids puppet show, Rubber Duck interrogation, fridge staring contest, DON'T TOUCH MY SAND
[close]

Jesse was a fun protagonist too, I liked that she looked like a vaguely normal person.

Also the Ashtray Maze
Spoiler alert
was exactly what I don't like about modern games, a whole section just designed to make you dribble and go 'wooaahh cool' even though there is basically zero agency. The music sucked too!
[close]