Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2021 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 14, 2021, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Onibaba (1964) - Strangely gripping tale of two Japanese women in the fourteenth century, what they do to survive, and the man who comes between them. The beautifully crisp black and white cinematography is stunning throughout, as is the unusual sound design and score, and though it's perhaps not the most complex of stories I was captivated throughout. 8.1/10

zomgmouse

oh yeah Onibaba is a cracker. really got under my skin

SteveDave

Gulliver's Travels

Jack Black looks like hard work. He's the Paulie Shore who could. 

This was better than I was expecting. Even if it did feature (in a very small role) James Corden.

rjd2

Quote from: phantom_power on December 18, 2021, 10:17:28 AMI love Paulo Sorrentino. I found Consequences of Love to be mesmeric, despite not a lot happening. His TV series the Young Pope (and to a lesser extent the sequel The New Pope) is also wonderful with an amazing performance by Jude Law

Yep Young Pope was fantastic. Only small blot was the Marilyn Monroe cameo.

phantom_power

Quote from: rjd2 on December 19, 2021, 03:13:04 PMYep Young Pope was fantastic. Only small blot was the Marilyn Monroe cameo.

That would have been impressive. I know what you meant though and yes, it is shit even before you factor in what has come out since then

rjd2

Quote from: phantom_power on December 19, 2021, 04:52:08 PMThat would have been impressive. I know what you meant though and yes, it is shit even before you factor in what has come out since then

whoops!

Mubi readded the Great Beauty the other day, fingers crossed its as exhilerating second time around!

zomgmouse

Absolutely loved The Great Beauty! I think that and Youth (which was good but not great) are the only ones of his I've seen. Keen for The Hand of God.

phantom_power

He is an odd one because in the hands of someone else a lot of the stuff he does would be really shit but he manages to sprinkle some sort of magic on it to make it brilliant

mothman

Christ, there's fuck all on TV most nights this week. Which is why we ended up watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a title guaranteed to infuriate me. But actually it's rather sweet really. Nothing Earth-shattering. But Lily James is very easy to look at, I didn't even clock that the male lead had been Daario Naharis mk.2 in Game Of Thrones, and it turns out Katharine Parkinson can act.
Spoiler alert
The bit when the Society learn that one of their number, who'd had a child with a German (now dead), after being arrested by the occupation forces had been sent to a concentration camp and murdered there, and the child's adopted father had to go and tell her about it, was truly heartbreaking.
[close]

Peppermint - Death Wish with a lady made by the lad who did the first Taken. And just like the first Taken, there's a solid rhythm and tempo to the violence. There's one scene just before the finale which is taken from a Looney Tunes, FFS. The bad guy looks like Bennett from Commando. Brilliant. Enjoyable trash.

Small Man Big Horse

Séance On A Wet Afternoon (1964) - An almost relentlessly grim sixties thriller where married couple Billy and Myra have never recovered from their death of their son, and the latter holds seances where he supposedly communicates with her.
Spoiler alert
Myra then devises a plan to kidnap a local girl, and the ever henpecked Billy goes along with it, as the movie becomes more and more depressing.
[close]
It's relatively gripping but at almost two hours it's twenty minutes too long, and though it's of interest as an insight in to how damaged grief can make people, I can't say that I in any way enjoyed watching it after the first hour as it became increasingly bleak. 6.2/10

mothman

I've always been afraid to watch Peppermint. I find the loss of children really triggering. Sure it happens all the time in dramas but it means I either avoid watching it ever again. I'd really like to see Gravity again on a bigger screen than the airline one I saw it on, but the thing with her daughter...

Barry Admin

Locking as people were moaning in that other thread. Start new threads please thanks :-)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 20, 2021, 04:49:47 PMSéance On A Wet Afternoon (1964) - An almost relentlessly grim sixties thriller where married couple Billy and Myra have never recovered from their death of their son, and the latter holds seances where he supposedly communicates with her.
Spoiler alert
Myra then devises a plan to kidnap a local girl, and the ever henpecked Billy goes along with it, as the movie becomes more and more depressing.
[close]
It's relatively gripping but at almost two hours it's twenty minutes too long, and though it's of interest as an insight in to how damaged grief can make people, I can't say that I in any way enjoyed watching it after the first hour as it became increasingly bleak. 6.2/10

I've been mulling this over since yesterday and think I was too harsh, it probably deserves to be a 7.2/10, I'm struggling with this kind of bleak horror and I think that led to the low rating, but it can't be denied that it has two very strong performances from Attenborough and Stanley (with the latter making it as watchable as it is), and it's beautifully shot too.

sevendaughters

watched Rear Window yesterday. I'd go as far as to say the best Hollywood film ever made. Not a brave or original choice, but I struggle to match it.

SMBH: I was interested to see that film is based on a 1961 novel because I read The Bachelors (1960) by Muriel Spark earlier this year. It's a comic crime novel where the characters attend The Wider Infinity séances of a fraudulent spiritualist in a London flat.

Wonder if that's part of a bigger trend of 1960s books and films about séances and crime. By the sound of it, Séance on a Wet Afternoon doesn't have any comedy (like The Bachelors or Hilda Ogden's séance, 1977).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on December 21, 2021, 12:40:13 PMSMBH: I was interested to see that film is based on a 1961 novel because I read The Bachelors (1960) by Muriel Spark earlier this year. It's a comic crime novel where the characters attend The Wider Infinity séances of a fraudulent spiritualist in a London flat.

Wonder if that's part of a bigger trend of 1960s books and films about séances and crime. By the sound of it, Séance on a Wet Afternoon doesn't have any comedy (like The Bachelors or Hilda Ogden's séance, 1977).

I can't say I know much about the subject but Séance On A Wet Afternoon is very humourless, I'm trying to think if there's even one moment or bit of dialogue which is meant to be amusing and am struggling.

Artie Fufkin

Pottersville - 2017
Eh? What? I have no idea what this film was meant to be.
A play on It's A Wonderful Life? Was it? It certainly had a lot of nods to it. The title for starters.
Mrs Fufkin pointed this out on Netflix, and it looked awful from the splurge, but then I noticed Ian McShane was in it, so thought that was worth giving it a go.
Ron Pearlman and Pearlman's daughter were in it, along with Michael Shannon (All kneel before Michael Shannon).
It was weird.
But I think I enjoyed it.
Did I?

itsfredtitmus

enjoyed fatal attraction, where to next in the canon of douglas being stalked i wonder

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 21, 2021, 12:00:10 PMwatched Rear Window yesterday. I'd go as far as to say the best Hollywood film ever made. Not a brave or original choice, but I struggle to match it.
One of my faves. Could watch it anytime. Rear Window, Jaws, Close Encounters. So good.

itsfredtitmus

Rear Window, Jaws, Close Encounters, Fatal Attraction?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on December 21, 2021, 12:40:13 PMSMBH: I was interested to see that film is based on a 1961 novel because I read The Bachelors (1960) by Muriel Spark earlier this year. It's a comic crime novel where the characters attend The Wider Infinity séances of a fraudulent spiritualist in a London flat.

According to Wikipedia, the film is based on the novel Séance on a Wet Afternoon by Mark McShane - is the Muriel Spark influence more of an influence than a direct basis or am I missing something?

Just meant that the McShane novel was the source of the film as you say and that it was written one year after the Spark novel (and three years before the film). Didn't have any influence from Spark in mind on the McShane book or the film, but wondered about the shared period setting of séances in London homes (though McShane Australian, Spark Scottish) as the background for a crime caper. From Spark's novel it seemed like spiritual meetings in London must have been quite popular and potentially laughable in the 1960s. It's close to an Ealing comedy atmosphere there (and in Coronation Street later), while despite the mundane title (on a wet afternoon) and comical sounding character's name (Myra Savage), the Forbes film apparently doesn't exploit the setting for any comedy; SMBH found it 'almost relentlessly grim'.

Here's the original dustjacket for the novel:

It mentions that McShane had returned to England for two years at the end of the 1950s and that his other novel published by Cassel in 1961 was a 'picaresque story' about the 'sleazy world of London's crooks and would-be big timers' while going from the first-person passage from Séance on the other side it seems like both of his 1961 London novels might have had a more comical or ironic tone than the film if not as much more as The Bachelors.

SteveDave

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 21, 2021, 04:43:08 PMalong with Michael Shannon (All kneel before Michael Shannon).

We watched "Chain Reaction" (Keanu Reeves is a scientist who figures out clean energy or something) and Michael Shannon has a tiny part as a flower delivery man. I did that Leonard Di Cappucino click and point thing from that meme when he appeared. It was his third credit according to IMDB.com

I love him and his too wide apart eyes. I'll see him in anything, so I'll stand in line.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on December 22, 2021, 05:31:41 AMJust meant that the McShane novel was the source of the film as you say and that it was written one year after the Spark novel (and three years before the film). Didn't have any influence from Spark in mind on the McShane book or the film, but wondered about the shared period setting of séances in London homes (though McShane Australian, Spark Scottish) as the background for a crime caper. From Spark's novel it seemed like spiritual meetings in London must have been quite popular and potentially laughable in the 1960s. It's close to an Ealing comedy atmosphere there (and in Coronation Street later), while despite the mundane title (on a wet afternoon) and comical sounding character's name (Myra Savage), the Forbes film apparently doesn't exploit the setting for any comedy; SMBH found it 'almost relentlessly grim'.

Here's the original dustjacket for the novel:

It mentions that McShane had returned to England for two years at the end of the 1950s and that his other novel published by Cassel in 1961 was a 'picaresque story' about the 'sleazy world of London's crooks and would-be big timers' while going from the first-person passage from Séance on the other side it seems like both of his 1961 London novels might have had a more comical or ironic tone than the film if not as much more as The Bachelors.

interesting info, thank you!

zomgmouse

actually speaking of Sorrentino if anyone knows where to find the full cut of Loro (aka Act 1 & Act 2) i would be very grateful - no luck in the usual places and the private tracker i'm on has it at 7gb each which is preposterous

Ray Travez

The Santa Clause (Disney, 1994)

Having also watched Maleficent two nights back, I'm increasingly of the opinion that the Disney worldview is pretty warped.

The main guy, a toy salesman called Scott Calvin, has a weird, truncated character arc. About ten minutes in, he accidentally becomes Santa, due to the titular Santa 'clause', after killing the previous incumbent, who conveniently disappears painlessly and bloodlessly.

Spoiler alert
And then he fucking stays Santa, forever. You think he's going to learn some lessons as Santa, come back and be a better dad etc, but no, he's stuck for all of eternity in this horror, and he's mindlessly happy with it too, his brain having been turned to Christmush by the transformation. It's essentially Metamorphosis- "this morning I awoke to find I had transformed into a giant Santa"

[close]

Bleak as fuck. The idea that this is somehow fun and entertaining just makes it worse.

olliebean

If the clause states that anyone who kills Santa becomes Santa, then if Santa kills himself does he become Zombie Santa?

Ray Travez

:D that would be an infinitely better film.

Philosophically, it's a conundrum. When Santa died in the film, he became nothingness. So if nothingness appears in the void left by Santa, would that create a black hole, sucking in the entire earth? Be a fucking great Christmas movie if it did

phantom_power

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 24, 2021, 04:26:02 AMactually speaking of Sorrentino if anyone knows where to find the full cut of Loro (aka Act 1 & Act 2) i would be very grateful - no luck in the usual places and the private tracker i'm on has it at 7gb each which is preposterous

Presumably the one on Amazon Prime is some edited version?