Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Finally played Arkham Knight.

Started by Glebe, May 02, 2021, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 17, 2021, 03:24:56 AM
a creepy rendition of Carol of the Bells
Isn't that every version of that song?

frajer

Completed Arkham Knight (not every riddle but sod that) last year and really liked it, so went back to the start based off this thread.

Fuck me I'd forgotten how joyless and frustrating I found The Riddler's driving challenges. Other than those, absolutely cracking game. Perfect Batman atmosphere and so much fun. Especially liked the creepy murder investigations leading to
Spoiler alert
the sinister confrontation with Professor Pyg.
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: kalowski on May 03, 2021, 11:38:01 AMWhich is the one where you have to drive the batmobile through a sewer in a time limits l? Fucking hated that and gave up. I want to play batman games not driving games.

Quote from: frajer on May 17, 2021, 11:23:04 AMFuck me I'd forgotten how joyless and frustrating I found The Riddler's driving challenges.

Yes, bit frustrating, I'm playing on Easy mode though and it's manageable enough... currently at the Batmobile eject-glide challenge and that's proving tricky, mind.

frajer

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2021, 01:27:15 PM
Yes, bit frustrating, I'm playing on Easy mode though and it's manageable enough... currently at the Batmobile eject-glide challenge and that's proving tricky, mind.

I didn't mind them so much the first playthrough, but on this replay I got weary knowing just how many more there'd be.

Glebe

Quote from: frajer on May 19, 2021, 01:41:40 PMI didn't mind them so much the first playthrough, but on this replay I got weary knowing just how many more there'd be.

Always found the gliding stuff frustrating in the earlier games. Frigging Batmobile jumps now just to make things even more complicated.

Mister Six

Hated the glide challenges in Arkham City. Nothing in the actual game requires those skills (thank god) so why bother? I got the first grapnel upgrade then sacked off the trophy for completing them all.

madhair60

I did literally everything in the story mode of Arkham Knight. 100%. Every Riddler trophy, all the DLC. I had an absolute fucking blast. I'll never, ever play it again.

(Unless it gets a 60fps patch or something in which case, perhaps)

frajer

The DLC was very good, wasn't it? I really liked the freaky Mad Hatter one where Batman trips his pointy ears off and has to fight all the bad sods in a big nursery book.

Jerzy Bondov

Loved all the trippy stuff in these games, it was such a good idea to have Scarecrow as the main baddy for the last one (and to
Spoiler alert
have the Joker as a hallucination
[close]
) and John Noble doing his voice as well, fucking yes.

Glebe

Sacked off the Riddler glide shit to save the firefighters. Saved the first fella but there doesn't seem to be a way to track the rest of them. Just driving around chasing tanks and shite.

Magnum Valentino

There's a great touch in Arkham Knight where you start to see the Joker in places and the game is able to make you doubt yourself. His face will appear on a random gargoyle as you pan from left to right, but only then - and when you go back to check, it's back to normal, but it WAS the Joker... wasn't it?

Amazing. Near shit myself the first time I properly noticed it.

Glebe

Have to say I'm very much enjoying this now, it's pretty epic with a lot going on. Again, I'm playing on easy mode, it's a tough game to be fair.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 20, 2021, 09:30:01 PM
There's a great touch in Arkham Knight where you start to see the Joker in places and the game is able to make you doubt yourself. His face will appear on a random gargoyle as you pan from left to right, but only then - and when you go back to check, it's back to normal, but it WAS the Joker... wasn't it?

Amazing. Near shit myself the first time I properly noticed it.

AK has a few great moments like that, where the jump scare is built into the regular mechanics of the game (like the
Spoiler alert
workbench
[close]
moment in Last of Us II), the one that got me is when you trigger the
Spoiler alert
Man-Bat
[close]
sidequest by just
Spoiler alert
grappling up to the top of a random tall building in the right area
[close]

Glebe

Tank battles are starting to get a bit heavy. As I said though, find it much more manageable on easy mode. Getting somewhere with the side missions, not gonna bother collecting all the Riddler trophies or completing all the AR challenges though.

frajer

Quote from: Glebe on May 27, 2021, 12:30:08 PM
Tank battles are starting to get a bit heavy. As I said though, find it much more manageable on easy mode.

Didn't mind those so much, surprising considering how much I came to loathe the racing missions, but the Batmobile controls feel so much more responsive when in battle mode.

Getting somewhere with the side missions, not gonna bother collecting all the Riddler trophies or completing all the AR challenges though.

This is 100% the correct approach. I plateaued on the amount of Riddler trophies I could crack and it became an unenjoyable slog so I jumped to the DLC for more Batfun.

Glebe

Trying to defuse one of those road bombs on Founder's Island, you get absolutely battered by a seemingly never-ending array of tanks and helicopters.

I think I got all the Riddler Trophies in Asylum... the others I maybe had a go at, but they were just too tricky to get for me!

frajer

Quote from: Glebe on May 27, 2021, 01:52:14 PM
Trying to defuse one of those road bombs on Founder's Island, you get absolutely battered by a seemingly never-ending array of tanks and helicopters.

I think I got all the Riddler Trophies in Asylum... the others I maybe had a go at, but they were just too tricky to get for me!

Ah yeah I forgot about the road bombs but know exactly the one you mean, that is a tough nut. Also I have an irrational dislike for the winch mechanism.

Edit: the bastards that regularly stumped me in Batmobile battles were those massive hunter-predator type tanks that are also really fast. Lock onto you with laser beams and then unleash every missile known to man at your Bat-bonce. Sneaking up on one at a time is okay, but if there's any others nearby you are shafted.

Glebe

I actually enjoy the winching. The revving thing was a pain in arse at first but grand when you get the hang of it.

Those Cobra tanks are bastards in tight areas, the way they get you in a pincer move.

Chairman Yang

Whoever decided that the baddies should taunt you when you die is a mentalist. It's so stupid. The only time you see these screens is when you're pissed off and they only serve to piss you off, if you actually scrape past a section you don't see them so they serve no benefit.

I already know I'm bad at the Batman Game, Batman Game. This isn't helping.

Egyptian Feast

LOL, that did get on my tits. Especially when it was some no-name cunt after one of those bastard tank battles.

Great game, will never play it again. I intended to not bother with the Riddler trophies at all when I started playing it, but he wound me up so much during his missions I made sure I got every last one so I could beat the shit out of him. It was sort of a letdown though, as nothing short of ripping his head and spinal cord out Predator-style would've satisfied me.

kalowski

Fucking hell. This thread inspired me to fire up Arkham Knight again and within no time I have to drive the fucking Batmobile around the streets, crashing into taxis and street lights and generally fucking up until the truck "gets away".
Fucking awful. Really pissed me off.

Mister Six

Quote from: Chairman Yang on May 29, 2021, 12:12:51 PM
Whoever decided that the baddies should taunt you when you die is a mentalist. It's so stupid. The only time you see these screens is when you're pissed off and they only serve to piss you off, if you actually scrape past a section you don't see them so they serve no benefit.

I already know I'm bad at the Batman Game, Batman Game. This isn't helping.

Are they not there to cover up the loading screen while the game resets?

Chairman Yang

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2021, 04:05:05 PM
Are they not there to cover up the loading screen while the game resets?

Oh sure, but they lead into another loading screen anyhow. A dead useful one that recaps where you are the story.

I'm now trying to do this one Riddler foot race and two different Joker jump scares have cost me it. I'm going to be fully Jared Leto Damaged by the end of this.

Glebe

Currently battling the Cloudburst Tank. Some vids on YouTube with handy tips for beating it... I made the mistake of just doing a legger after each hit, but he chases after you, best to try and dodge around corners till he looses the scent. Btw, just in case anybody's not aware, if you're stuck on the last part of the Riddler's Flight School challenge,
Spoiler alert
there's a Riddler switch that lights up to the left of where the Batmobile is, (Give up?' pops up on the screen beside it), hit that to open a gate in the wall so you don't have to go around through the death tunnel
[close]
. Very nice of Riddler to do that for you, cheers mate nice one cigs.

It really is a very good game. Just very frustrating in places.

Chairman Yang

Finished up the whole thing except the AR and Riddler trophies, which completes my quest to finish all the Arkham Batmen games. Knight's the best one by miles, in spite of them running the Batmobile bits into the dirt. Oh, Deathstroke has a tank now too? Get to fuck.

I think they're alright, as a whole, not great. They've got that triple-A problem of being sprawling collections of minigames that end up being kind of dull. Love the sneaking, hate the fighting. They should just make a game where you fly around the city and solve proper mysteries... like some sort of Batman game.

Glebe

Beat the Cloudburst tank (at least it saves when you hit the coolants four times). Currently struggling with the last Riddler race, the last lap of which is absolute fucking murder.

frajer

Quote from: Glebe on June 01, 2021, 07:20:10 PM
Beat the Cloudburst tank (at least it saves when you hit the coolants four times). Currently struggling with the last Riddler race, the last lap of which is absolute fucking murder.

That race made me give up the game in frustration after I wasted an entire afternoon crashing and burning, all the while being mocked by ol' Eddie Nygma. Was getting actual tunnel vision. Came back to it weeks later and fluked the win after just a few tries.

Glebe

Looking it up online, saw a suggestion to try doing it in first-person camera mode, so will try that.

Hobo

1st person worked for me, the vertical hairpin inertia flick was a controller destroying moment.