Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22: pre-seasons in the abyss

Started by sevendaughters, June 08, 2021, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 28, 2021, 11:18:58 AM

perspective, yesterday
This is exactly why I haven't missed football. I hate our fans sometimes, I really do. There's also banners outside Goodison calling Rafa a fat kopite cunt. It just makes me want to detach myself from it all. I love the game itself but I hate how it brings out the worst side of some people.

Lankyguy, Everton take forever to do fucking anything. Koeman being a case in point, although part of that was because he was on holiday at the time.
Quote from: Ted-Maul on June 28, 2021, 10:09:31 AM
But there MUST be another manager out there who can do what the club needs whilst not being so closely associated with our most hated rivals. Even saying his name conjures images of Liverpool being successful and their fans still love him... It's too much to take, another humiliation for our fanbase to endure.

This is Moshiri's version of joining the European Super League... he wasn't invited to that little shitshow but is adamant on doing something massive against the fans wishes.

As kankurette suggests, its probably not all fans who feel like this, but I'm having a strong visceral reaction against this appointment. It's silly, it's just a game I know, but still...

Like isn't it enough that the fans don't want it to happen? Don't they count for anything anymore?
And if Rafa turns out to be a success? Or would you rather we got some useless old British fart like Pulis or Hughes?

The cranks don't speak for me or other blues I know. I don't care if that means we're not real fans, I'm quite happy to just become a full-time Wednesdayite if not thinking Rafa is the WORST THING EVER means I'm not a Real Evertonian. I mean, Steve Bruce managed the pigs but I didn't feel the need to leave a threatening banner outside his house.

Spoiler alert
Also, this reminds me of when I was plotting to kill Roberto Martinez. It's close to home.
[close]

chveik

given they know how thick football fans can be, why didn't they just find someone that hasn't managed their biggest rival?

Kankurette

In fairness, who'd WANT to manage Everton? We're not a big draw. We're not glamourous like Liverpool or Man United or, hell, even Spurs. Oh big deal, so the salary will be good but like this bunch of twats will win anything. Also the entire squad are made of twigs.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: chveik on June 28, 2021, 12:45:48 PM
given they know how thick football fans can be, why didn't they just find someone that hasn't managed their biggest rival?

Cos Rafa is a better manager than anyone else interested?

lankyguy95

Quote from: chveik on June 28, 2021, 12:45:48 PM
Probably true. My guess though is they interviewed him and he just came across very impressively. Whatever people's opinions of him, he's well known for being a pretty outstanding coach - even players who haven't got on with him or found him 'cold' will admit that he's a very good on the training pitch and in his tactical preparation for games. It wouldn't surprise me if he stood out so well in talks that they decided to press ahead regardless.

Chollis

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 28, 2021, 11:18:58 AM

perspective, yesterday

Quote@AHunterGuardian
Merseyside Police confirm they are investigating a threatening banner that they believe was directed towards Rafael Benitez but left outside the wrong house in Caldy.

Captain Z

Why do they think it was aimed at Rafa? It was clearly aimed at Dont Sign.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Captain Z on June 28, 2021, 02:20:57 PM
Why do they think it was aimed at Rafa? It was clearly aimed at Dont Sign.

Maybe it was aimed at one of Rafa's neighbours, Don Tsign.

Bernice

Kankurette

This is a thing that happened. Still can't quite get over seeing Rafa with an Everton scarf.

DrGreggles

Good luck to him.

Apart from during the matches, obviously.

dr beat

Yes as a Red I wish him good luck, except for the derbies.

This may have a lot to do with Rafa being very settled in the area.  He's often been seen out and about round the Wirral.  My family once ended up sitting next to him in the Toby Carvery in West Kirby.  I was told by someone who knows the area said eatery is very much where he does business (honestly not joking).  Apparently it was here where the deal to bring back Robbie Fowler to Anfield in 2006 was struck.

JamesTC

I hope he either fails completely, gets a nice payoff and leaves The Ev in the relegation zone. Or he is successful enough to be poached by a big club.

Kankurette

Why do you care? You've got Klopp and he's a genius. I'm assuming you're a kopite because only kopites call us 'the Ev'.

chveik

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ted-Maul on June 28, 2021, 10:09:31 AM
But there MUST be another manager out there who can do what the club needs whilst not being so closely associated with our most hated rivals. Even saying his name conjures images of Liverpool being successful and their fans still love him... It's too much to take, another humiliation for our fanbase to endure.

This is Moshiri's version of joining the European Super League... he wasn't invited to that little shitshow but is adamant on doing something massive against the fans wishes.

As kankurette suggests, its probably not all fans who feel like this, but I'm having a strong visceral reaction against this appointment. It's silly, it's just a game I know, but still...

Like isn't it enough that the fans don't want it to happen? Don't they count for anything anymore?

You won't be saying that when he takes you into the Europa Conference next year

Kankurette

Every manager deserves a chance.

I'm glad I'm not on social media much these days though. I've had enough bad encounters with Liverpool fans online. Twitter will be hell.

BlodwynPig

sevendaughters

Kankurette

I'm surprised it took United this long, they've been batting their eyelashes at him for ages.

DrGreggles

Nuno confirmed at Spurs.
Must be nice for him to know he was their first choice.

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 28, 2021, 11:05:00 AM
He said "small" because he was still learning English and meant "teams lower down the league", which Everton were.
Although Everton fans still using that as a stick to beat him with 15 years later suggests he may have been right...

Lets have it right---

"Benítez first referred to Moyes' club as being smaller in his pre-match briefing last week, then repeated it in television, radio and other interviews in the wake of Saturday's infuriating stalemate. He is canny enough to realise the weight his words carry and, when put in that context, his comments appeared nothing but inflammatory, even if the spark of debate was appreciated after the mishmash served up on the pitch."

He`s a fat toxic mess who shouldn`t be anywhere near Everton---I hope the Max & Paddy-headed twat is run out of town and he has to sell his beloved Wirral home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nah he's just a fat dull but competent timeserver who nearly every Everton fan will have got used to managing them after about 3 games.

king_tubby

Captain Z

And there will be some money to buy Portuguese players with our new stadium sponsorship deal. Yes, welcome to the Nandos Arena!

phes

king_tubby

Quote from: Captain Z on June 30, 2021, 09:17:53 PM
And there will be some money to buy Portuguese players with our new stadium sponsorship deal. Yes, welcome to the Nandos Arena!

Nandos is South African. HOW MANY TIMES?????

chveik

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 30, 2021, 08:50:06 PM
Nuno confirmed at Spurs.
Must be nice for him to know he was their first choice.

BEARD