Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Sopranos prequel - The Many Saints Of Newark

Started by Custard, June 29, 2021, 05:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Looks great! Still wish it was a series instead of a movie, but oh well.

My main worry was that it wouldn't feel like the Sopranos but that definitely has the vibe.

Custard

Agree on it successfully capturing the vibe. That was a real worry for me too, but they seem to have captured it!

Michael Gandolfini really does comes across like a younger version of his old man/Tony, which is good news too

I also got goosebumps at Tony's voiceover and the theme hitting at the end

Oh man, can't wait

Cuellar

Oh that actually IS James Gandolfini's son! I was thinking they've really cast that well because he does look like a young Tony.

Custard

I wonder if they'll show Tony's young crew taking down Feech's card game? That'd mean young Ralphie too. Oof!

Deliciousbass

ooof, felt like a marvel trailer with the big sounds and the nods to him who and whoever! No idea whether this will  be any good.

Totally disagree about it capturing the vibe of the Sopranos. For me Sopranos was about blindsighting you with the gangster culture / violence as a way to sneak in the truly dark side of human nature - like how Livia's cynicism and nastiness infects Janice and Tony even as they both find her repulsive, or how fundamentally greedy each character is.

The film could be good but I get no sense from the trailer.

bgmnts

Yeah I have a feeling this is going to be a bit gash. Star Wars levels of "oh look its that character!" and that's it.

chveik

yeah hard to to see the conceptual/aesthetic connection. i guess we should be happy if it's a competent mob film

Rev+

The trailer does make it look more like an actual prequel.  Everything that had cropped up before gave the impression that it'd be a story with younger Sopranos characters in the periphery - young Tony cropping up for maybe a scene or two, that kind of thing.  Maybe it still is for the most part, and the trailer's just leaning very heavily on some of the footage, given that it tells us jack shit about what the actual story involves.  Should be at least decent on that evidence, though.

Deliciousbass

Quote from: Rev+ on June 30, 2021, 02:03:21 AM
The trailer does make it look more like an actual prequel.  Everything that had cropped up before gave the impression that it'd be a story with younger Sopranos characters in the periphery - young Tony cropping up for maybe a scene or two, that kind of thing.  Maybe it still is for the most part, and the trailer's just leaning very heavily on some of the footage, given that it tells us jack shit about what the actual story involves.  Should be at least decent on that evidence, though.

Yeah I'd heard that it was a period piece about Uncle June and Johnny, with young Tony as a background detail. Having watched the trailer again it honestly looks like shiiite fanservice. I'm excited that David Chase is involved and am hoping that the trailer is down to studio interference.

Edie Falco playing Livia??? Get to absolute fuck

Mobius

Quote from: Deliciousbass on June 30, 2021, 02:22:16 AM
Edie Falco playing Livia??? Get to absolute fuck

That's Vera Farmiga.

She does look and sound like Carmella but I presume that's intentional - Tony marrying his mother and all that.

13 schoolyards

To be fair, it is a trailer for a movie where the big marketing hook is "It's a Soprano's prequel!" - there's a decent chance they've played up that angle big time and the actual film will largely focus elsewhere

colacentral

I think it looks good in spite of the trailer. It's obviously not going to be Guy Ritchie's The Sopranos as the trailer makes out.

Custard

Yeah, apparently the film is largely focused on Chris' dad, Dickie Moltisanti, who also acts as a mentor to young Tony. Which of course is a parallel to Tony's eventual relationship with Chris in the show. Tony's story is definitely in there, but he's not the main focus. For example, in the 1967 portion of the film Tony is only 8 years old and is played by another actor. The film is expected to cover several years. Moltisanti is Italian for Many Saints

A bloke on Reddit who claims to have seen an early version of the film says the actual film is very much in the vein of the show, and this trailer is more whizz bang and Tony-focused to obviously put more casual bums on seats. The next trailer will probably widen the net, so to speak

That said, I do think it's a great trailer, which shows just enough to excite without giving away very much of the plot at all. As another person on Reddit pointed out, the trailers for the actual show were always made to look far more action packed and gangster generic than they ever ended up being. And I do think it looks very tonally right with the show. It's just massively quickly edited and again, a bit whizz bang

And again, this is David Chase writing it. I have absolute faith in the man, and there's no way he'd let his masterpiece be tainted by a duff two hour gangster flick. I'd bet my house on this being brilliant

I wonder if they'll show what actually happened to Chris' dad? In a way I hope it's left ambiguous like in the show, but something about the scene with Chris killing the retired cop never sat right

Again, can't wait!

colacentral

My prediction is it will be one of Tony, his father or Junior that kills him.

jobotic

The dreadful flashback bits in the Sopranos felt like they were from a cheap gangster TV Movie. The only parts of the show that I didn't like (although the trip to Italy was a bit iffy).

If this isn't like that I'm happy, and I don't think it will be.

Custard

Really? Some of the flashbacks were great, I thought. I found the stuff with Tony's upbringing and the dynamic between his parents fascinating myself, and explained a lot about Tony's mindset

I do agree also that I'd have preferred this to be a series, rather than a 2.5 hour (that's the rumour) film, as there's so much to explore, but I guess it would feel like a bit of a retread of the series, just in different time periods

Total goosebumps at the trailer, though. Not felt that in a long long time. The mixture of Tony's voice, the familiar surroundings not seen for so long, the theme kicking in at the end. Oh man

Makes me want to rewatch the show, for the 900th time!

Ornlu

'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation.

Thankfully that don't mean oogatz to me. Very excited for this.

Custard

You look like a Puerto Rican whoo-er! Drink your milkshake, you're not taking that in my car

Most quotable drama series evorrrr

Custard

Phil's brother, whatever happened there...

WHATEVER HAPPENED THERE?!

Makes me crack up just typing it

Phil Leotardo foreverz

chveik

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 30, 2021, 09:57:48 AM
Really? Some of the flashbacks were great, I thought. I found the stuff with Tony's upbringing and the dynamic between his parents fascinating myself, and explained a lot about Tony's mindset

the therapy sessions made the flashbacks unnecessary though

colacentral

I too thought the flash backs were pretty bad, mainly down to the casting. Bernthal looks like far more convincing casting for what I'd imagine Tony's father to be like than the bloke they got in the series.

They also never really added much of significance. Like chveik said, the therapy scenes are already telling you about his childhood. I think it would have been more effective to have never seen Tony's childhood or his father in the series.

An tSaoi

Maybe it would have been better if the flashback scenes were at odds with Tony's therapy recollections, like he's remembering it through the naïve eyes of a child, while the audience can plainly see how bad it really was.

Chollis

An tSaoi

colacentral

Quote from: Chollis on June 30, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Junior was well cast in the flashbacks

He looked sort of like the old Junior but I don't buy him as being a tough gangster, he looks like a dweeb.

the science eel

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 30, 2021, 08:30:44 AM
Yeah, apparently the film is largely focused on Chris' dad, Dickie Moltisanti, who also acts as a mentor to young Tony. Which of course is a parallel to Tony's eventual relationship with Chris in the show. Tony's story is definitely in there, but he's not the main focus. For example, in the 1967 portion of the film Tony is only 8 years old and is played by another actor. The film is expected to cover several years. Moltisanti is Italian for Many Saints

A bloke on Reddit who claims to have seen an early version of the film says the actual film is very much in the vein of the show, and this trailer is more whizz bang and Tony-focused to obviously put more casual bums on seats. The next trailer will probably widen the net, so to speak

That said, I do think it's a great trailer, which shows just enough to excite without giving away very much of the plot at all. As another person on Reddit pointed out, the trailers for the actual show were always made to look far more action packed and gangster generic than they ever ended up being. And I do think it looks very tonally right with the show. It's just massively quickly edited and again, a bit whizz bang

And again, this is David Chase writing it. I have absolute faith in the man, and there's no way he'd let his masterpiece be tainted by a duff two hour gangster flick. I'd bet my house on this being brilliant

I wonder if they'll show what actually happened to Chris' dad? In a way I hope it's left ambiguous like in the show, but something about the scene with Chris killing the retired cop never sat right

Again, can't wait!

Spot on. Yes.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 30, 2021, 08:30:44 AM
I wouldn't have unwavering faith in a 75 year old Chase who hasn't written anything in over a decade. Not Fade Away seemed to be shelved for a year or two after it finished production only to be released quietly and bomb with (extremely generous) lukewarm reviews. That was nearly 10 years ago, I'd imagine it crippled his chances of getting anything made other than a new TV series or a Sopranos related project.
I reckon this'll be serviceable and not shit on the series or anything, but nothing at all memorable.

Quote from: Chollis on June 30, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Junior was well cast in the flashbacks
Should've done a Better Call Saul and cast Dominic Chianese