Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Matrix films (or how/why did the Wachowskis muck up the sequels so badly?)

Started by Blinder Data, August 09, 2021, 05:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Trailer just needs a familiar voice at the end saying "Mr. Anderson... did you miss me?"

Butchers Blind

Thought that looked all rather dull. Just another rote action film.

frajer

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2021, 11:04:41 AM
Trailer just needs a familiar voice at the end saying "Mr. Anderson... did you miss me?"

I would genuinely like this! On many levels I know this trailer looks quite shit, but I also know I will watch and probably enjoy this film.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 10, 2021, 10:31:57 AM
1. Flying car doing a loop
2. All dogs running around with 'Who Let The Dogs Out' playing
3. Hand slammed in car door
4. Montage of farm machinery
5. Nude woman
6. "Uhh... did that just happen?!"
7. Hippo
8. Guy reads 'Alice in Wonderland' and goes "this shit's crazy, I'll have what this guy's having, drugs"
9. Glasses that clip on your nose
10. Grover driving a car

You have put

3 in the correct places

1:24 mins left

Replies From View

MR ANDERSON WELCOME BACK

and then a shot of Agent Smith with a horse's arse bizarrely close to his face

dissolute ocelot

I assume the point of the trailer is to reference everything in the original movies, and offer a bit of a tease, rather than to show that the new Matrix is actually a good film with interesting things which are worth watching. So well done guys.

And yes there were Alice in Wonderland refs in the original Matrix, but since then we've sat through 6 Resident Evil movies steeped in Alice shit, 2 terrible Disney Alice sequel/reimaginings, American McGee's Alice, several Lewis Carroll biopics, and about a million films in which someone's gone "We're thru the looking glass here dudes", so maybe find some new cultural references.

Replies From View

That's your fault for watching all those shit things

Next time, only watch The Matrix

mikeyg27

My main takeaway from the trailer is that it should've been called Back To The Matrix.

idunnosomename

Neo has to avoid his previous self above the lobby scene while trying to retrieve the sports almanac

Bad Ambassador

Neo's son finds him in the Matrix after being sucked into a game of Space Paranoids. End credits over Limp Bizkit cover of Pat Benatar.

Ferris

Right just saw the trailer, looks like exactly the type of mad action explosion pop-philosophy shit I'd expect. Will definitely watch this.

bakabaka

As long as it ends with the reveal that the digitising of the entire world was done by Enzo, I'll be happy.

elliszeroed

I remember  a lot of similar films being released around that time:

The Thirteenth Floor - a scientist makes a version of 1920s LA, and is then killed, and his protoge has to go into the system to find out who killed him. Starring Gretchen Mol! The same story was also made into a German TV series - World On A Wire.

Existenz - Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh are on the run through games within games as she is hunted by "realists". Directed by David Cronenberg!

Dark City - I think the mystery of this is actually revealed near the start (ala Predator), but a great film with Rufus Sewel as an amnesiac who may or may not be a murderer in a city with a dark secret.  Have you ever been to Shell Bay? Starring Jennifer Connely.

I'm a huge fan of this genre, and a teenager at the time, so this was happiness.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 10, 2021, 03:34:12 PM
Neo's sondaughter finds him in the Matrix after being sucked into a game of Space Paranoids. End credits over Limp Bizkit cover of Pat Benatar.

olliebean

Quote from: elliszeroed on September 10, 2021, 05:59:47 PMDark City - I think the mystery of this is actually revealed near the start (ala Predator), but a great film with Rufus Sewel as an amnesiac who may or may not be a murderer in a city with a dark secret.  Have you ever been to Shell Bay? Starring Jennifer Connely.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Alex Proyas has a Dark City TV series in development.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: elliszeroed on September 10, 2021, 05:59:47 PM
I remember  a lot of similar films being released around that time:

The Thirteenth Floor - a scientist makes a version of 1920s LA, and is then killed, and his protoge has to go into the system to find out who killed him. Starring Gretchen Mol! The same story was also made into a German TV series - World On A Wire.

Existenz - Jude Law and Jennifer Jason Leigh are on the run through games within games as she is hunted by "realists". Directed by David Cronenberg!

Dark City - I think the mystery of this is actually revealed near the start (ala Predator), but a great film with Rufus Sewel as an amnesiac who may or may not be a murderer in a city with a dark secret.  Have you ever been to Shell Bay? Starring Jennifer Connely.

I'm a huge fan of this genre, and a teenager at the time, so this was happiness.
I recently watched The Truman Show and thought that had a similar theme going on. Maybe it was a 90's thing, a gnawing sense that the relative peace and stability of the decade was all false, or something like that.

I don't think I've ever heard Dark City mentioned without some reference to The Matrix.

Magnum Valentino

The mystery in Dark City is only revealed at the start of the theatrical release, the director's cut removes the voiceover and you only find out the craic near the end.

Mr Trumpet

Dark City and the original Matrix used some of the same sets - I think particularly the big derelict building with the black and white floor that Morpheus uses as a base.

Replies From View

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 10, 2021, 07:05:32 PM
The mystery in Dark City is only revealed at the start of the theatrical release, the director's cut removes the voiceover and you only find out the craic near the end.

Rip-off of Blade Runner

mikeyg27

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 10, 2021, 06:29:09 PM
I recently watched The Truman Show and thought that had a similar theme going on. Maybe it was a 90's thing, a gnawing sense that the relative peace and stability of the decade was all false, or something like that.

For one of the modules of my degree I had to read an essay about these two films (The Truman Show and The Matrix) and this exact premise. Shame I can't remember who it was by.

Custard

The Thirteenth Floor is indeed a fine film. I hope we all get to walk around a digitally recreated 1920s one day

I liked Dark City, but can't remember much about it. Time to rewatch both, I think!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 10, 2021, 08:00:04 PM
The Thirteenth Floor is indeed a fine film. I hope we all get to walk around a digitally recreated 1920s one day
Good lord no. Too much clarinet music.

Replies From View

mothman

Big fan of both The Thirteenth Floor and Dark City, Sky Movies seemed to have them on a lot around about 2000/01. Another contender: Cube. ExistenZ I saw in the cinema but don't think I've ever bothered to rewatch, I'd class it as the weakest of the bunch.

chveik

there's a good badiou article about matrix/cube/existenz

i don't care about matrix that much but it was nice when blockbusters could produce some interesting film criticism

Blinder Data

not seen either but Gattaca and Equilibrium should probably be added to the list

Goldentony

I think we need to name this particular subgenre something like New Labour Dystopia