Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I've always wondered if a single child ever actually hid behind a sofa when watching Dr Who. Has anyone ever worked out the first use of that phrase in relation to the show? Like an article or TV segment that first coined it?

Replies From View

H-O-W-L

This makes me miss the days when I was able to crawl under my bed. I had a killer bed that was also a folding sofa (it was the bottom of a bunk bed) so I could crawl under the underside of the bed and then reach a triangular chasm, a private little cave. Miss it tbh.

Oh and... some bollocks about a box I guess.

Norton Canes

The steep rake of our settee (we never called it a sofa) meant it made a little triangular chasm against the wall, too. Dusty as fuck in there though. Never hid behind it for Doctor Who, I was also a through the door crack watcher.

pigamus

Yeah to be fair I think they mean as in, hide behind one end of it so you can't see the telly

JamesTC

I hid behind the couch the first time I saw Cat reverse shit in Red Dwarf.
Spoiler alert
28 years old I was.
[close]

Alberon

I used to hide behind the armchair as I couldn't get behind the sofa, but apart from that I was a sterotypical kid watching the show. My dad wanted to turn it off, but I'd never let him.

notjosh

I used to hide behind the sofa during Blind Date cos I liked to play along.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Looks like the next series will be largely devoted to
Spoiler alert
the Doctor finding out more about this Timeless Child bollocks
[close]

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-13-the-doctor-searches-for-answers-in-her-past

Spoiler alert
A pathetically optimistic part of me hoped that Chibnall might've clocked the negative reaction to his grand fanwank vision and quietly drawn a veil over it. But no, he's seeing his teenage fantasy through to the bitter end. Fucking hell.
[close]

No idea why I've spoilered that really, as the link title gives it away. And I doubt anyone cares anyway.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 18, 2021, 05:18:25 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

fucking great

daf

I'm still slightly boggled by the fact it's just six episodes - yes, Covid and all that, but Eastenders, and Coronation Street have each managed crank out over a hundred in the past plague year!

. . . on the other hand, thank god it's only six!

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 18, 2021, 05:18:25 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-series-13-the-doctor-searches-for-answers-in-her-past

Spoiler alert
A pathetically optimistic part of me hoped that Chibnall might've clocked the negative reaction to his grand fanwank vision and quietly drawn a veil over it. But no, he's seeing his teenage fantasy through to the bitter end. Fucking hell.
[close]

No idea why I've spoilered that really, as the link title gives it away. And I doubt anyone cares anyway.

Surely this isn't that surprising. The last series set up "Doctor Ruth", and The Division hunting her. it seemed inevitable that those storylines would be "explored" before the end of Chibnall's run. There's also the potential mystery of the little girl found at the portal (who allegedly became The Doctor) - something which might just be left as a pointless mystery, but could also be a setup for some other big reveal. 

FredNurke

Quote from: Kelvin on August 17, 2021, 06:43:43 PM
I've always wondered if a single child ever actually hid behind a sofa when watching Dr Who. Has anyone ever worked out the first use of that phrase in relation to the show? Like an article or TV segment that first coined it?

The last I looked, it went back to about 1973, but didn't start getting really common till the early 1980s.

Deanjam

Can't wait to find out the big revelations that I'll just put in the ignore file with The Doctor being half human, cyber-Brigadier, and everything about Rose.

Quote from: Kelvin on August 18, 2021, 06:31:52 PM
Surely this isn't that surprising. The last series set up "Doctor Ruth", and The Division hunting her. it seemed inevitable that those storylines would be "explored" before the end of Chibnall's run. There's also the potential mystery of the little girl found at the portal (who allegedly became The Doctor) - something which might just be left as a pointless mystery, but could also be a setup for some other big reveal.

It's not suprising, no. Just silly wishful thinking on my part. But the problem with this arc - apart from its inherent shitness - is that the public at large clearly couldn't care less about it. Six episodes of continuity fanwank isn't going to be a ratings-grabber.

I suppose that doesn't really matter in the sense that we'll soon have a new Doctor, which will hopefully allow the show to reset itself and become something that people care about again. The Chibnall era/shift has been such a non-event.

Not that Doctor Who should tailor itself towards being an EVENT at all times, but you know what I mean. It would be nice if The Public were genuinely quite enthused by it again. Because otherwise what's the point? It is by its very nature a populist show. Quality fun for all the family etc.

Mister Six

If there isn't some kind of retcon to undo the Timeless Child bollocks, then the baby Doctor found at the portal will be created by present-day Doctor somehow and tossed through the wormhole, leading to The Doctor creating herself, in a way that Chibnall thinks is very clever, but was already done years ago in a 20-minute episode of a middling series of Red Dwarf.

Alberon

It's no surprise he's carrying on with the Timeless Wank but he really is going to leave the series as a smoking hole in the ground for the next showrunner.

Quote from: Alberon on August 18, 2021, 07:10:05 PM
It's no surprise he's carrying on with the Timeless Wank but he really is going to leave the series as a smoking hole in the ground for the next showrunner.

14th Doctor Suranne Jones wakes up on the floor of the TARDIS console room: "Oof, what a terrible dream. Madness. Anyway, where was I?"

That's one way of dealing with it, I suppose. Utterly crap, I know, but any writer worth their salt won't want to touch this bin-fire with a bargepole.

I actually get quite annoyed when I think of how Moffat tied up the Master storyline with such finesse, only for Chinballs to come along and undo all that work just two years later. He's thick, isn't he? A dramatist who doesn't understand the fundaments of drama. A baffling man.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on August 17, 2021, 08:40:26 PM
Yeah to be fair I think they mean as in, hide behind one end of it so you can't see the telly

Pointless waste of a programme.  And it's supposed to be a selling point!

Thomas

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 18, 2021, 07:27:41 PM
I actually get quite annoyed when I think of how Moffat tied up the Master storyline with such finesse, only for Chinballs to come along and undo all that work just two years later.

'Two years' makes it feel like a slightly more reasonable distance; remember that in practice it was only twelve episodes.

RTD waited longer than that before bringing Dalek Caan back (and when he did, he made sure to remember little things like story and trajectory and drama). Moffat managed to keep the Master offscreen for Matt Smith's entire run, presumably taking into account recent storylines and appearances. And then he explicitly acknowledged RTD's version of the Master by bringing Simm back for a wonderful interplay with Missy, and a glorious, moving swansong.

I suppose Chibnall always had this fan-fiction idea involving the Master, and didn't really care whether or not it slotted comfortably into the creative arrangements left for him. It does feel like Chibnall never actually watched anything after series 4. He hastily reset Gallfrey's destruction, with minimal emotive storytelling, so that he had a nice setting for his clumsy rehash of the dilemma from The Parting of the Ways (already recapitulated and resolved in The Day of the Doctor).

Gallifrey Falls No More (For a Bit)

Quote from: Thomas on August 18, 2021, 08:42:13 PM
'Two years' makes it feel like a slightly more reasonable distance; remember that in practice it was only twelve episodes.

It was, yes. Chinnyballs didn't waste any time at all in pissing all over Moffat's carefully plotted machinations.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 18, 2021, 07:27:41 PM
He's thick, isn't he? A dramatist who doesn't understand the fundaments of drama. A baffling man.

Not as baffling as the fact that he's made a multi-decade career out of his anti-talent.

I think I've only seen his work on Who and Torchwood, both of which have - of course - veered from flatly mediocre to astonishingly incompetent.

So what's his non-sci-fi stuff like? Broadchurch and that nurses thing. Are they full of characters doing stuff just because Chibnall's realised that he needs a thing to occur on page 23, or does his brain just switch off whenever an alien is involved?

purlieu

I enjoyed his episodes of Life on Mars a lot, they felt quite different to the usual ones but had some really good tension from memory. Totally different to his Who work.

Quote from: FredNurke on August 18, 2021, 06:40:06 PM
The last I looked, it went back to about 1973, but didn't start getting really common till the early 1980s.

"It's OK, they can't go up stairs"

"oh."

I think 7 year old me was decidedly unimpressed.

Blinder Data

destroying Gallifrey again. the Master teaming up with the Cybermen again.

I was about to say "get some new ideas, Chibbers" but undoubtedly that would just encourage him to delve deeper into the Timeless Child bollocks. I fully expect the next showrunner to never mention it again, especially if it's someone who isn't bothered about developing lore (e.g. Sally Wainwright).

Quote from: Mister Six on August 18, 2021, 06:59:46 PM
If there isn't some kind of retcon to undo the Timeless Child bollocks, then the baby Doctor found at the portal will be created by present-day Doctor somehow and tossed through the wormhole, leading to The Doctor creating herself, in a way that Chibnall thinks is very clever, but was already done years ago in a 20-minute episode of a middling series of Red Dwarf.

Heinlein wrote "...All You Zombies..." in 1958.

(The 2014 film adaptation Predestination, starring Ethan Hawke and Shiv off Succession, is a bit labored - expanding an eight-page story to 100 minutes on a budget of fifty bucks and a handful of caramello koalas - but far more stylish, visually creative and (obv) better acted than The Timeless Child.)

olliebean

If Chibnall really wanted to fuck the next showrunner, he could have Jodie find her way to the universe that the Timeless Child came from, only to find it completely uninhabited, die and regenerate into the Timeless Child, and get sucked back into our universe through the portal that the Timeless Child came out of in the first place.

mjwilson

On Twitter, Chibnall is being mocked over this piece of corporate guff from DWM:
QuoteDoctor Who is one of the most valued global brands and recognisable pieces of intellectual property, at a time when those things are more imporatnt and valuable than ever.

Just in case you wanted to join in.

Nothing very revelatory in the piece: he isn't involved in the decision on the new showrunner because of internal changes whereby the show is produced through BBC Studios not the BBC Drama Department, it's more expensive to make TV these days, Cardiff is an incredibly busy for place for TV production these days.

Quote from: olliebean on August 19, 2021, 04:32:55 PM
If Chibnall really wanted to fuck the next showrunner, he could have Jodie find her way to the universe that the Timeless Child came from, only to find it completely uninhabited, die and regenerate into the Timeless Child, and get sucked back into our universe through the portal that the Timeless Child came out of in the first place.

The awful thing is, I can imagine him actually doing that.

Quote from: mjwilson on August 19, 2021, 05:20:37 PM
On Twitter, Chibnall is being mocked over this piece of corporate guff from DWM

Yet another inspiring example of The Passion of the Chris. Molten creativity flows through that man's veins.