Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skyrim Next-Gen Remaster (Nov 2021)

Started by Chedney Honks, August 20, 2021, 06:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I really loved Skyrim, still do, and I will get the second next-gen Remaster when it comes to the PS5 in November. I still put the most hours into the PS3 version which gradually collapsed in on itself as my save file expanded. I played a fair bit of the previous gen Remaster, but mostly tinkering with mods, and I expect to do the same again in a few months time.

It's still one of my favourite game worlds, with far more character and 'soul' somehow than almost any other modern open world game. I think the music is probably a big part of that, and no doubt memories of my initial wonder, but it's a place I feel absorbed in, unlike the overwhelming majority of games like AC or Ghost or all the other stuff. Only BotW is on the same level as a world with such a strong sense of place (albeit it's also very influenced by Skyrim). I would say RDR2 is also right up there but its verisimilitude means that the effect is different, it's one of recognition rather than a binding with imagination.

Hope it's seventy quid just to exasperate people who won't even play it.

Inspector Norse

Agree with most of that. I played a while the remastered X1 version a year or two back, like you with some mods, and while you do notice the flaws or dated elements - forgettable story, bland NPCs, repetitive dungeons, you're pretty much over-levelled for everything by the time you're 25% of the way through - I think that the game's strength, its wondrously designed world, has never been bettered. I still remember my first time journeying uphill through the Rift or along the river through the Reach.

Not played BotW because not got a Switch but yeah RDR2 is the one other gameworld that springs to mind where I can just wander around exploring for ages enjoying the sense of discovery and wonder. It's probably the thing I appreciate or want most in a game and Skyrim was definitely a big reason. Something like Witcher 3 is arguably a better game because of the story and characters, but it doesn't have the same endlessly inviting and absorbing world.

Not sure I'll bung loads of cash on a game I've already completely exhausted just to see prettier graphics but if I wind up getting an XBox SeX and it's on Game Pass then I'll definitely sink some nostalgic time into it.

bgmnts

I still prefer Oblivion because Skyrim was so repetitive in it's dungeons and mission designs but I do love how it's still going just on the modding community alone. A very passionate and creative fanbase.

Chollis

Make a new game you shits!

prob gonna play this though. still never finished Skyrim, despite enjoying it every time I played it.

Ferris

Yes lads will deffo get this.

Edit: if you own the special edition version released in 2016 (I do), then you can download/upgrade to this version for free. Nice one.

Cerys

Even if it's the Special Ed for the Xbox One that you own?

Regarding the PS5, I will soon be in a position to buy one, as well as the FF7 remake (yay).  Unfortunately the only reason I'll be able to buy these is because of my new job, which means that I won't have time to play anything (phooey).

Ferris

Hmm good question, mine is on PS4 and I flatly refuse to upgrade any time soon so I suppose I will find out...

GoblinAhFuckScary

doubt i'll ever get myself any new consoles (last one was the 360), but i'd be well keen for trying this again with the knowledge you can mod the fucking horrible giant spiders into t-posing bears or something

Cerys

Mister Six

On the one hand, I put about 200 hours into Skyrim (back when I somehow had that kind of free time) and loved it to bits. On the other, I suspect that my memories of the game will be strong enough that the sense of exploration - which was my favourite part of the experience - will be somewhat diminished.

Does anyone know how expansive the modded stuff is? Is it just lots of mini games and costumes and stuff, or might it be new maps?

I never played the official DLC - does that expand the map a bit?

Ferris

There's a new island that is fairly massive (with new creatures, materials, characters/stories etc), and 2 new quest lines on the main map. I managed to glitch one of the quest lines so it wouldn't trigger the start of the first mission and I've never bothered to go back and restart it so that ones a mystery to me.

Cerys

Quote from: Mister Six on August 21, 2021, 03:04:46 PM
On the one hand, I put about 200 hours into Skyrim (back when I somehow had that kind of free time) and loved it to bits. On the other, I suspect that my memories of the game will be strong enough that the sense of exploration - which was my favourite part of the experience - will be somewhat diminished.

I've played over 1000 hours, and I'm still finding new things.  Hope this helps, gibber twitch drool.

Ferris

Quote from: Cerys on August 21, 2021, 02:28:54 PM
'Sokay - I checked.  Yes, you can get it free cross-platform -

Missed this - great news!

MORE SKYRIM!!

Mister Six

Quote from: Cerys on August 21, 2021, 03:44:24 PM
I've played over 1000 hours, and I'm still finding new things.  Hope this helps, gibber twitch drool.

Every time I see one of your Skyrim challenge threads I'm impressed and slightly intimidated. Glad you're putting your energies into that and not world domination, because honestly I reckon you could fold the whole house of cards in a month if you put your mind to it.

Cerys

I couldn't possibly comment.  The most recent runthrough, though, was named Fisto and used no weapons.  Punching Alduin to death was wonderfully satisfying.

Poobum

All these remastered Skyrims and just one Morrowind remaster would have me giddy. Slap Vivec's face in full HD. Getting lost in the ash wastes getting pestered by cliff racers until I fall into the Foyada Mamaea. A full blown Tamriel Rebuilt like affair would be a dream. At this point I can't get past how dull all the characters in Skyrim are, and how so many questlines thin gruel and repetitive. This is after playing it to death to be fair though, it is a great game, many satisfying playthroughs, and loved revisiting Solstheim.

Cerys

Quote from: Poobum on August 21, 2021, 04:48:03 PM
All these remastered Skyrims and just one Morrowind remaster would have me giddy. Slap Vivec's face in full HD. Getting lost in the ash wastes getting pestered by cliff racers until I fall into the Foyada Mamaea. A full blown Tamriel Rebuilt like affair would be a dream.

The very idea makes me feel warm in a special secret girl place.

Zetetic

At this point I can't get past how dull all the characters in Skyrim are, and how so many questlines thin gruel and repetitive.
Usual plug for the Interesting NPCs mod, which fixes the former in pleasingly diverse way. No luck with the latter, I'm afraid.

QuoteAll these remastered Skyrims and just one Morrowind remaster would have me giddy.
Development of Skywind does seem to be continuing to creep onward...

Poobum

Did have a playthrough with that installed and a couple of companion mods, very interesting taking them everywhere and seeing how they respond. The Bruma and Falskaar mods were good fun as well.

Mr Trumpet

Always nice to see Tamriel Rebuilt namechecked on unexpected forums. Such a neat project to have been involved with.

king_tubby

Good afternoon. I recently got this, played through all the main stuff and am now starting again. What are the essential/recommended mods and how would I go about getting them?

Thank you.

Ferris

Couldn't understand how to download the anniversary version, so tried booting up the regular version and it has 16.5gb of "updates" to install.

Could it be this easy? Is this it?

Rev+

All these remastered Skyrims and just one Morrowind remaster would have me giddy.

Morrowind is still the best of the big three, no doubt about it.  Whack some proper stealth mechanics in there and it wouldn't need that much more of an overhaul.

A full decade since Skyrim was released, then.  I'd say it makes me feel old, but it doesn't.  It just makes me feel like the games industry has become so bloated it has no option other than to give up.  There will never be another Elder Scrolls or GTA simply because they might not hit theoretical sales targets.  Best not to bother.

Cerys

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 17, 2021, 01:57:45 AM
Couldn't understand how to download the anniversary version, so tried booting up the regular version and it has 16.5gb of "updates" to install.

Could it be this easy? Is this it?

But - but I have things to do!  Must ... stay ... strong.

Ferris

I have to pay ~17 quid for the "full" anniversary edition; I just got 18gb of fishing and shit.

What the fuck. I can't pay money for a millionth version of skyrim.

...can I?

Ferris

Cerys

bgmnts

I think I'm one of the very few who found the same repetitive dungeon crawling of Skyrim a bit boring and Oblivion is my favourite.

I love the levelling system though.

Cuellar

No I'm with you I think. Now I've played through it once I just spend my time messing about above ground, found the endless cycle of barrows and caves dull in the extreme.