Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue plaques in your area

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2021, 07:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dog

Site of the world's first blue plaque

gilbertharding

Quote from: Flouncer on August 23, 2021, 11:54:35 PM
I saw this one whilst walking through Scarborough last month.

I started complaining to my girlfriend that he was a fascist - he was actually a member of the BUF. Fucking cunt.

"Sitwell had experimental political interests and he was one of the first members of a breakaway group called the "New Party", set up in 1931 by Oswald Mosley, a man who would become famous for his fascist views as the decade wore on."

Don't know enough about it - but the Mosely Memorandum (which led to The New Party) was signed by Nye Bevan among others.

Mind you - William 'Kill All the Vegans' Sitwell is is grandson.

gilbertharding

This one is in Maidstone. Mayor, and regicide. Cool.

gilbertharding

West Malling in Kent has loads of cheap ersatz blue plaques with QR codes I bet three people have ever scanned. Here's one, with a local Member of Parliament (oddly, she isn't actually the MP for the town... that would be Tom Tugendhat)

Dex Sawash

Not blue around my way[nb]I'm one of those colorblinds though so maybe it is blueish[/nb]

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 24, 2021, 12:17:06 AM
I live in one of the two London boroughs without a single blue plaque.

If nothing else, that deserves a blue plaque.

Jasha

Stretching the premise a bit

medium breakfast guy's can't be far off

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 24, 2021, 02:47:48 PM
If nothing else, that deserves a blue plaque.
I would have thought English Heritage would have awarded at least one to Denville Hall : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denville_Hall#Notable_residents

Flouncer

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 24, 2021, 03:57:27 PMThis is probably the biggest one in my town.
ON
31st of December 1966
JIMI HENDRIX
pissed in the public
urinals which once
occupied this
site.

idunnosomename

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 24, 2021, 03:57:27 PM

This is probably the biggest one in my town.
how did that receipt get stuck up there

dead-ced-dead

No one knows, my friend. No one knows.

Mr Banlon

There's a green plaque for George Orwell in Hayes.
A green plaque is for when someone lived/worked at the location, but really fucking hated the place.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 24, 2021, 05:00:53 PM
A green plaque is for when someone lived/worked at the location, but really fucking hated the place.

Or when they didn't brush their teeth.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 24, 2021, 05:00:53 PM

There's a green plaque for George Orwell in Hayes.

I'm not exactly sure where the sanitorium in which Orwell was hospitalised was, but if it's where I think it was, it's now a drive through McDonalds and a branch of Poundstretcher.

mjwilson

Quote from: Alberon on August 23, 2021, 07:54:53 PM
Having a short break in Shropshire so I was wandering around Ludlow today. They have blue plaques up everywhere but it's mostly just ones from the local council explaining local town history. Dunno what the blue plaque society make of that, but more fool them if they haven't trademarked it.

They have one for Newsfield which ran the 8 bit mags in the 80s.

Gurke and Hare

I've just found from the English Heritage site that there's one for Stanley Unwin near me. Unfortunately, it's not the funny talking man, it's Sir Stanley Unwin (1884-1968), publisher. Meh.

El Unicornio, mang

Non-official one at one of my local chippies

jenna appleseed

Remember the bit in the documentary about Jimi getting his offical blue plaque, where they're vaccumning up the dust with a nozzle after the making of the actual plaque or something, and it's kinda deliberately filmed/edited in a 'looks like its snorting coke lol' way?

lauraxsynthesis

Yesterday I visited Deal with my in laws and saw the Charles Hawtrey blue plaque. It doesn't look official but was installed by the Council. Good stuff about the seedy side of Deal in  David Seabrook's mad book All the Devils Are Here.

steve98

RD (Ronnie) Laing, psychoanalyst.

I have a personal connection with Laing: As a child I was required to steal a cooling-off sponge base from a window-sill, in Ardbeg St, Glasgow (A gang initiation dare. I was 10.)

Later I realized it was Laing's boyhood flat I'd nicked it from. By then he was living in London and famous and probably had all the sponge cake he wanted (And a fair few fruit-cakes too!)

(The gang only lasted an afternoon.)

Everybody in Glasgow was in a gang in those days.

Buelligan

Peaky Blinders?  Sorry, I don't get British TV.

Martin Van Buren Stan