Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:04:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster Series 13

Started by MigraineBoy, August 25, 2021, 10:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Meanwhile, back in Series 13 - did I hear the continuity announcer warn us that Episode 3 was filmed BEFORE the war started?

Because... Ardal O'Hanlon re-enacted the end of the Second World War?

Fucking hell. I understand the point of trigger warnings, I really do. But come on. I spent the first 10 minutes wondering what could possibly be the matter.

Timotheit4

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 29, 2022, 04:28:21 PMMeanwhile, back in Series 13 - did I hear the continuity announcer warn us that Episode 3 was filmed BEFORE the war started?

Because... Ardal O'Hanlon re-enacted the end of the Second World War?

Fucking hell. I understand the point of trigger warnings, I really do. But come on. I spent the first 10 minutes wondering what could possibly be the matter.

Pretty sure it was because of Bridget's reenactment of Laika, since it was a Soviet experiment.

Stupid, but I guess it makes sense why they felt the need to make that clear, never know who'll react to those things.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Timotheit4 on April 29, 2022, 04:36:12 PMPretty sure it was because of Bridget's reenactment of Laika, since it was a Soviet experiment.

Stupid, but I guess it makes sense why they felt the need to make that clear, never know who'll react to those things.

Blimey. I'm not sure now...

As you say, stupid.

g0m

i'd assume it was specifically because ardal was recreating the battle of stalingrad

jobotic

Yes it must have been but I must admit that last night I thought "because of Laika? Ffs".

Captain Z

Probably just to be absolutely sure no one saw it as glorifying Russian achievements in the current climate.

greencalx

We're not able to watch as it goes out so are spared the nonsense of continuity announcements and adverts. Another fun episode, and nice to see Bridget come out on top - great to have another contestant more in the Mike Wozniak vein. I'd be happy with any of them winning in the end, except maybe Chris who's a bit weaker in terms of entertainment value than the other four, who are all great.

frajer

Lovely to see the genuine surprise on Christie's face when she won the ep.

Yeah I think Ramsey is probably the weakest (of a strong bunch) as he is pretty competent at most tasks, which never makes for huge laughs. That said I laughed hard at him calling Alex "Captain Dickhead".

Pie Pie Eater

Dunno if it's just because I'm a moody bastard at the moment (probably, given no-one else seems to think this) but I'm really not enjoying either Ardal O'Hanlon or Judi Love. I don't find O'Hanlon's nitpicking charming and Love has absolutely nothing to offer at all, not funny, not good at the tasks, nor approaching them in an interesting way. And I thought Chris Ramsey was going to be bad but actually he's been quite fun. Anyway, have at me for this incredibly curmudgeonly post.

Norton Canes

The Ramsey humblemask did slip when he told Alex to stick his duck up his arse.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 02, 2022, 08:42:06 AMThe Ramsey humblemask did slip when he told Alex to stick his duck up his arse.

This sort of criticism comes up in every series and it always baffles me. He was doing a bit! None of them - with the possible exception of Iain Stirling, who either genuinely did get angry a lot, or is such an unlikeable person excellent actor that when he's doing comic anger it comes across as geniune - are being serious!

Virgo76

Lou Sanders is now hosting a new Taskmaster podcast which is running alongside the Ed Gamble one. She appeared on the Gamble one this week. She kept saying Ardal's name wrong and seemed not to know the Laika dog thing was based on a real event.
She acts like she's stupid but clearly isn't.
Anyone tried using the new Taskmaster app yet?

BeardFaceMan

Actually surprised at how little Ramsey is annoying me, I think getting rid of that twatty hair has gone a long way towards that. Not that fussed on Judi Love but there are no annoying contestants for me this series, which is nice, theres usually at least one person I'm not a fan of.

The original Taskmaster podcast is bad enough. I've got no idea why there's a new official one featuring members of the public.

boinks

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on May 02, 2022, 08:32:44 AMDunno if it's just because I'm a moody bastard at the moment (probably, given no-one else seems to think this) but I'm really not enjoying either Ardal O'Hanlon or Judi Love. I don't find O'Hanlon's nitpicking charming and Love has absolutely nothing to offer at all, not funny, not good at the tasks, nor approaching them in an interesting way.

I'm enjoying Ardal and Judi but finding Sophie a bit boring. We're all different aren't we!

Virgo76

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 02, 2022, 05:16:49 PMThe original Taskmaster podcast is bad enough. I've got no idea why there's a new official one featuring members of the public.
The original one's fine. Unless you hate Ed Gamble. I don't have a problem with him.

olliebean

My probably-soon-to-be-girlfriend just dropped into conversation the other day that she knows Alex Horne. So that's a thing.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 02, 2022, 05:16:49 PMThe original Taskmaster podcast is bad enough.

It's got that thing I keep experiencing over and over again with podcasts where the opening 10 minutes where they're just shooting the shit are the best bit and then as soon as they get into the structure of it (in this case recapping task by task) it's dull as fuck. Just give entertaining people a subject and let them talk FFS

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: olliebean on May 02, 2022, 10:38:58 PMMy probably-soon-to-be-girlfriend just dropped into conversation the other day that she knows Alex Horne. So that's a thing.

So when is the wedding?

olliebean

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 05, 2022, 06:52:52 AMIt's got that thing I keep experiencing over and over again with podcasts where the opening 10 minutes where they're just shooting the shit are the best bit and then as soon as they get into the structure of it (in this case recapping task by task) it's dull as fuck. Just give entertaining people a subject and let them talk FFS

Honestly, with most podcasts I'm the opposite. The stuff at the beginning where people I have no personal connection with are just droning on about what's been happing in their lives since last time is, with rare exceptions, boring as shit to me. Just get on with talking about the subject of the podcast.

Twilkes

Jack of Ghent could bear no content,
His wife could bear no preamble,
So together they skipped the podcast entirely,
Because neither could stand Ed Gamble.
(trad...)

Ja'moke

That was a great episode. Ardal is proving to be excellent value.

amateur

Brilliant episode, Chris being codified as an
Spoiler alert
excitable mutt
[close]
really gives his performance charm that other similar competitive dads haven't had.

The bit where
Spoiler alert
Greg told Alex to "get his fucking hands off me" feels like a bit they could have done a long time ago, but the execution was spot on.
[close]
Wonderful stuff, a privatised Channel 4 could never.

Ja'moke

I was expecting Ardal to have figured out a trick with the shoes when they left him until last. But no, he employed some baffling 'funeral shoes' strategy... and it was much funnier than if he'd just figured out a cheat.

neveragain

Ardal is just great, I love every minute of him on this. I was also obsessed with the stand-up special of his Channel 4 used to show. Great bit about a GP chasing and tickling him.

Edit: Here it is - https://youtu.be/7zXx13w7RJ4

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: olliebean on May 02, 2022, 10:38:58 PMMy probably-soon-to-be-girlfriend just dropped into conversation the other day that she knows Alex Horne. So that's a thing.

Looking forward to seeing you on taskmaster. Make sure you have a good read through any Avalon contract that gets shoved your way

Ardal's absolutely great. I didn't have particularly high hopes for him - I thought he might be another Baddiel or Alan Davies - but I think he's unlike any other contestant they've had on.

The bunting task was a bit weak but this group of contestants means they can get away with it. Especially as Greg is obviously having a lot of fun with them all.

Utter Shit

Really enjoying this series. Increasingly I think the chemistry is so much more important to a good series than their individual qualities as comedians. Glad to see Chris Ramsey coming across so well, I've always liked him - I don't particularly think he's a great comic, but this sort of show where it's as much about charm as wit, and interacting well with people, is perfect for him.

Really liking Alex widening out his character a bit - not sure whether it's deliberate on his part, the editors leaving more in or what. But it adds a nice extra angle seeing him go outside the straight man responses.

Virgo76

Agreed. A truly great series currently.

selectivememory

I feel like Chris Ramsey would be a bit bland in isolation, but in this lineup his earnest enthusiasm and competence contrasts nicely with the cynicism and weirdness of the other contestants. Feels like a really good balance they've got in this series.

Ardal is still a delight though. Quickly becoming one of my favourite contestants ever.