Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Captain Z on June 01, 2022, 11:42:04 PMOh yes, there were some great touches. The carpet around the bath! I hated it but I loved it.
oh yes the bathroom was incredible. biggest laugh

gib

not convinced the bathroom tiles were plausible, also it was well grim

neveragain

What an edition that was. True horror.

Well, I could go on and on but suffice it to say I thought it was a very strong series. Excellent writing, acting and production across the board. Four of the episodes I thought were absolutely brilliant and the other two were still pretty damn good (with just a few minor tweaks I would have made if I were Adam Tandy.)

I'm very pleased they've got another 12 confirmed.

Johnny Yesno

For me, that was the strongest episode of the series. The animations and the sets were excellent. That bathroom wallpaper - yikes!

Did anyone manage to spot the h- Actually, never mind.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Best episode of the series for me too.

Spoiler alert
It's testament to their skill as writers that they managed to produce an episode about child abuse which didn't lapse into "Ooh, aren't we being edgy and dark?" bad taste.

The germ of the Wise Owl idea from the LoG book is funny in a horrible way, but it's interesting that 20 years on they managed to flesh that out into something with far more depth and sensitivity. The ending of the episode was genuinely moving.

I agree about the art direction, the whole thing was suffused with a dank air of oppressive gloom. And the Wise Owl PiFs were authentically rendered, I couldn't fault them at all. Excellent performances from Shearsmith and Ron Cook, too.

Very impressive, all of it.
[close]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on June 01, 2022, 10:40:13 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Interesting. I don't have that book.

Good to see you're still lurking and occasionally posting, RtR.

Tony Tony Tony

Love the attention to detail that goes into any Inside No9 but especially this series ending ep. Was it just me or was the bathroom wallpaper reminiscent of an actual avocado reflecting the whole horrendous colour scheme?

I will miss the podcasts which I turn to straight after the episodes air and provide a nice companion to the show. For this last one there is mention of the inspiration for the writing in the form of the 70s Public Information Films. I well recall the Charley Says ones which obviously influenced the animated segenents but they specifically mentioned Apaches which at twenty five or so mins long is a show in itself. https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-apaches-1977-online

Stigdu

Apaches is excellent. It's also available as an extra on Arrow Films' release of The Long Good Friday (same director).

big egg

Best episode of the series for me, also enjoyed the Ronnie Pickering easter egg

M-CORP

I watched episode 1 on transmission but just got round to binge watching the rest of the series tonight. I think on the whole it was very good, with Merrily and Wise Owl being the strongest. They definitely know how to start and end a series.

selectivememory

Great series closer. The only one that didn't work for me was the time travel episode, otherwise another excellent series in the books. Looking foward to the next one.

Glebe

Missed last week's episode (no iPlayer here in Ireland neither), but that was really good. Proper dark and unsettling but oddly moving with it. Nice that they went with a sober, serious (and strangely positive, all things considered) ending rather than having Ronnie
Spoiler alert
kill and literally stuff the dad or summit.
[close]

Quote from: big egg on June 02, 2022, 09:25:11 PMBest episode of the series for me, also enjoyed the Ronnie Pickering easter egg

Missed that! Was he one of the people that  dad mentioned being at the convention thing he was at or whatever?

Tony Tony Tony

Reckon it's a reference to Reece's character being called Ronnie and his father making mention of returning from a nostalgia weekend at Pickering toy museum. Put the two together and you get Ronnie "don't you know who I am" Pickering. I'm sure Big Eggo will confirm or otherwise.

You might think that's a bit of a stretch but they rarely throw these scripts together so I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate.

During the podcast they mention there really is a museum in Pickering (Yorkshire) where they recently held a 70s retrospective.

Virgo76

Brilliant episode. The best in a slightly disappointing series.
I hope Ray Brooks and others didn't mind being referenced in this context?
I assumed the whole thing was set in the 1970s until he used his mobile.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 03, 2022, 09:50:58 AMReckon it's a reference to Reece's character being called Ronnie and his father making mention of returning from a nostalgia weekend at Pickering toy museum. Put the two together and you get Ronnie "don't you know who I am" Pickering. I'm sure Big Eggo will confirm or otherwise.

You might think that's a bit of a stretch but they rarely throw these scripts together so I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate.

During the podcast they mention there really is a museum in Pickering (Yorkshire) where they recently held a 70s retrospective.
Why would they put that in though - what's the relevance of an obscure viral road rage incident to the context of the story?

Tony Tony Tony

No relevance really, though as I mentioned upthread Reece and Steve have said on the podcast, and probably elsewhere, they have no issues with viewers taking away from their writing whatever they wish.

If that means seeing an obscure reference to a viral video then so be it. If it was put in deliberately then fair play to the guys. I suppose little in jokes relieve the tedium that can be experienced in the task of writing. If it wasn't deliberate then still fair play, we made our own gag.

Glebe

Had to Google for her name but I recognise Georgie Glen from a couple of things including the agony aunt on Mid Morning Matters.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 03, 2022, 09:50:58 AMReckon it's a reference to Reece's character being called Ronnie and his father making mention of returning from a nostalgia weekend at Pickering toy museum. Put the two together and you get Ronnie "don't you know who I am" Pickering. I'm sure Big Eggo will confirm or otherwise.

The plot thickens!

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 03, 2022, 11:55:53 AMBrilliant episode. The best in a slightly disappointing series.
I hope Ray Brooks and others didn't mind being referenced in this context?
I assumed the whole thing was set in the 1970s until he used his mobile.

The smartphone did look jarring with the whole retro look, which kind of emphasised how Ronnie was sort of stuck in the past.

neveragain

I love Georgie Glen! She's great in Mid Morning Matters, The Thick Of It, Love Soup, The Armando Iannucci Shows and the list goes on, usually as very stuck-up poshos so her Northern mum in 'Wise Owl' was a nice change.

Also, they misspelled her name in the credits (as Georgie Glenn). Which is pretty unforgivable for a professional television production.

zomgmouse

shades of Possum this last one

Quote from: neveragain on June 03, 2022, 10:07:43 PMI love Georgie Glen! She's great in Mid Morning Matters, The Thick Of It, Love Soup, The Armando Iannucci Shows and the list goes on, usually as very stuck-up poshos so her Northern mum in 'Wise Owl' was a nice change.

Also, they misspelled her name in the credits (as Georgie Glenn). Which is pretty unforgivable for a professional television production.

I enjoyed her as the uptight boss in Damned. Agree that it was nice to see a softer contrast.

trabuch

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 02, 2022, 05:15:28 PMLove the attention to detail that goes into any Inside No9 but especially this series ending ep. Was it just me or was the bathroom wallpaper reminiscent of an actual avocado reflecting the whole horrendous colour scheme?

I will miss the podcasts which I turn to straight after the episodes air and provide a nice companion to the show. For this last one there is mention of the inspiration for the writing in the form of the 70s Public Information Films. I well recall the Charley Says ones which obviously influenced the animated segenents but they specifically mentioned Apaches which at twenty five or so mins long is a show in itself. https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-apaches-1977-online

Apaches is incredible - proper horror feel to it. The kite on a pilon thing was live action in the original public information film I think. The animation is Charlie says, Mike can swim like a fish (unlike Dave) and the Viz like Northern couple who behave in an ignorant manner whilst on holiday a few times. I bloody love those public information films.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Best of the series, that. I also liked how Reece's character looked like a depressed version of the feller who plays the drums in The Lovely Eggs. Best lines: " Bloody Frankenrabbit!"  And " He said 'balls'!"

Icehaven

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 03, 2022, 11:55:53 AMI assumed the whole thing was set in the 1970s until he used his mobile.

Yep me too, I assume that was deliberate (unless there's something else that gives it away sooner but I don't think there is?), and was very well done.
Spoiler alert
Also when the child's letter is posted and he puts it in the drawer with others they're clearly recent which leads you to assume they're from current fans so the Wise Owl PIFs must be contemporary, but then we learn otherwise and that the letters are actually from the adult Ronnie.
[close]

Andy147

Quote from: trabuch on June 03, 2022, 11:34:11 PMApaches is incredible - proper horror feel to it. The kite on a pilon thing was live action in the original public information film I think. The animation is Charlie says, Mike can swim like a fish (unlike Dave) and the Viz like Northern couple who behave in an ignorant manner whilst on holiday a few times. I bloody love those public information films.

Play Safe includes a live-action kite on a pylon sequence, and also has Brian Wilde as a cartoon "Wise Owl" (but not in the same style as the Inside No 9 animations).

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 03, 2022, 11:55:53 AMI hope Ray Brooks and others didn't mind being referenced in this context?

I shouldn't think so. It's not as if he, or Nigel Plaskitt, or whichever Bungle actor it was, was being accused of being a nonce as well.

Johnny Yesno

I see Inside Inside No. 9 has opened the door to other 'Insides', the first of which (as far as I am aware) is Inside The Outlaws. Why do good ideas always get flogged to death, these days? What makes Inside Inside No. 9 stand out is the clever title and the fact that viewers of Inside No. 9 give a flying fuck about how it is made and the fine details of the sometimes convoluted plots.

Icehaven

Maybe it's only going to be done with programmes where they can play on the word inside. So we can look forward to "Inside Not Going Out", "Inside The Outer Limits", Inside Bo Burnham: Inside" and so on. You get the picture.

petril

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Icehaven on June 05, 2022, 05:19:31 PMMaybe it's only going to be done with programmes where they can play on the word inside. So we can look forward to "Inside Not Going Out", "Inside The Outer Limits", Inside Bo Burnham: Inside" and so on. You get the picture.

Oh, duh! Silly me.

In that case, I'm dying to know how they come up with the surprising real-life stories and investigations from my region in England in Inside Out.

idunnosomename

A little podcast could be appended to After Life called After After Life where Ricky Gervais remembers each moment in the episode and laughs loudly at it