Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sweep

Started by beanheadmcginty, September 25, 2021, 03:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on August 19, 2022, 01:11:14 AMHis pre-beard knashers are fucking terrifying.

He's like all the Bee Gees

Replies From View

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 18, 2022, 08:36:12 PMUnashamedly bumping the thread as Sweep on This Is Your Life has been brought to my attention. 

Matthew seemed to have Bee Gee teeth in those days.  It was all the rage, I suppose.

I'm not used to seeing Sweep with a moustache.  At that resolution it looks like a very deep frown.

Replies From View

Quote from: McDead on August 19, 2022, 10:56:11 AMHe's like all the Bee Gees

Great minds; hadn't read this when I posted.

Replies From View

Soo is an absolute abomination.  There's no excuse for her.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2022, 08:43:37 PMSoo is an absolute abomination.  There's no excuse for her.

Acab includes Soo

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Replies From View on August 19, 2022, 08:43:37 PMSoo is an absolute abomination.  There's no excuse for her.

Yeah, but I bet that you're the type who thinks that Zippy did nothing wrong.

Replies From View

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 19, 2022, 10:14:16 PMYeah, but I bet that you're the type who thinks that Zippy did nothing wrong.

ooooop somebody's a bit grumpy about someone dissing his girlfriend

The Bumlord

I can imagine Soo is a cold and clinical lover.

Replies From View

And that's in addition to pandas usually being very tricky to mate with

Pink Gregory

All reporting Sooty to the Marionettenpolizei for revolutionary tendencies

Sonny_Jim

Also I think you are being unnecessarily harsh on Soo.  She tries her best.

idunnosomename

The line about the dirty socks was funny

Kankurette

Soo is probably shit in bed. Sweep should be Sooty's gay lover instead.

One of the first live events I went to was a Sooty Show event in Brighton and my mum had to take me out because I had a huge meltdown. I don't even know why, it wasn't like Sweep decapitated Matthew with a chainsaw or anything.

Glebe

Said it before and I'll say it again, absolute fucking banger of a theme tune:

McDead

Hated this show as a kid, craving as I did an incessant supply of American/Japanese animation and episodes of Knightmare. Turns out I was a callow fool, and this show is excellent. Much better than, eg. Galaxy Rangers.

Kankurette

They have legs?! I thought they were legless on account of Matthew's hand shoved up their bums.

shiftwork2

Puppet confusion with Mah Nà Mah Nà

Butch can't seem to make up his mind:

Music to my ears

What a talent this boy's got

Cor what a load of rubbish

Replies From View

I was correct when I said it nearly a year ago.  Things have not changed.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 10:31:52 PMShe sounds like an air hostess on helium, and her solitary function in the world of Sooty and Sweep is to seek out creativity and anything fun whatsoever and needlessly crush them.

Anyone who likes her has co-dependency issues.

Replies From View

It must have been shared in this thread already, but I can't immediately find it so I am going to share it again.

The best piece of television in all of history.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Kankurette on August 20, 2022, 05:43:12 PMThey have legs?! I thought they were legless on account of Matthew's hand shoved up their bums.

Slightly less distressingly, there was an effort to show the puppets as corporeal wholes starting with the armchairs here with CaB favourite Bernard Bresslaw spoofing Max Bygrave's You Need Hands.  I'm not smart enough to work out how this special effect was done.

Replies From View

I'm more concerned about how they managed to render Bernard Bresslaw in black and white, presumably to denote that he is Soo's son.

Armed Traffic Warden

Every time (and it's a lot) Soo shit talks Sweep, my kids say 'fuck off Soo'. They're great kids and I love them very much.

The only possible reason for her constant Sweep hostility is that she is trying to piss him off so much that he rage fucks her; which she so obviously desperately desires. My kids agree. They're great kids and I love them very much.

elliszeroed

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 25, 2021, 09:43:50 AMThe sequence (immortalised in The Sooty Show opening titles) with Sweep on his bone motorcycle.

Bonercycle.

When did they start showing the puppets feet? Weird that.

Quote from: Glebe on August 20, 2022, 05:31:13 PMSaid it before and I'll say it again, absolute fucking banger of a theme tune:

The closing theme is genuinely great. A sort of lullaby with a funky bassline.

Replies From View

Reminds me of this Spike Milligan song.

Replies From View

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 21, 2022, 08:51:55 AMBonercycle.

When did they start showing the puppets feet? Weird that.

I don't think it ever became the standard.  It would only have worked for seated arrangements anyway.  Like the bald Sweep I suspect they were a one-off gimmick.

I still can't be doing with Sweep's
moustache.  I just see it as a frown and even when I reconcile it as a moustache in my mind, it jars with his anarchic, joyous energy.

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 21, 2022, 08:51:55 AMWhen did they start showing the puppets feet? Weird that.

They did sometimes do it, usually tended to be on location, as per the various examples in the opening sequence, from at least the early 80s onwards.

Replies From View

Imagine Sooty, Sweep, Soo and Scampi walking around the pavement, with legs. at their actual height.  Ridiculous.

You should just show them from the torso up, bobbing around at a decent height even though it wouldn't make sense with whatever length their legs would be.  Sometimes one illusion is more beneficial than another kind of surface realism.

Spudgun

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 21, 2022, 09:31:50 AMThe closing theme is genuinely great.

It is! It's actually a song about Soo: