Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Metro

Started by bgmnts, October 13, 2021, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Fucking ace series innit?

I bought Exodus on sale and I must admit I dont even remember completing it when it was on Gamepass so it must have been a bit disappointing but the the first two games are absolute masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. Sort of hidden gems too as you very rarely hear them talked about in terms of top quality games.

Anyone else a fan? Anyone beaten both on the Spartan difficulty (it's the most rewarding highest difficulty i've played).

Also, are the books any good? Probably should read them at this point.

Pink Gregory

Aww man, fuckin love Metro 2033 and Last Light, genuinely probably the best FPSes I've played for years, and I've played the new Wolfensteins in the same period.

Do I remember correctly that, as a largely linear shooter coming out around the time that yer Far Crys were gaining popularity was something that didn't do it any favours critically?

bgmnts

Quite possibly. I remember back in the 00s reading game magazines, the word 'linear' was an overwhelming negative. So it's likely open world shooters (I really like Far Cry 2 though) did maybe overshadow it.

Have you played the games in Russian? It's fucking scary at times won't lie.

Pink Gregory

Absolutely, Russian with English subtitles is the only way; I doubt any other language captures Khan's cheery 'Artyom!'

bgmnts

Oh by the way if anyone here is on xbox and has gold or gamepass, they are offering all 3 Metro's with all DLC for 20 quud, which is an absolute fucking steal and I would highly recommend snapping that up.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: bgmnts on October 13, 2021, 11:03:05 AM
Have you played the games in Russian? It's fucking scary at times won't lie.

Only problem with that is you miss out all the dialogue in the Metro stations during the in-between levels (the subtitles don't play for the incidental talking, which is where most of the lore exposition gets done). Unless you're fluent in Russian.
Awful English dialogue for the kids in the game I seem to remember though. They just got some American kids to do a vaguely Russian accent.

I've only read the first novel, and I'm afraid it isn't very good. I'm not sure if it was just translation issues, but it was boring as fuck, with lots of stream of consciousness babble going on.

evilcommiedictator

Great fun, the choice of ammo never affected me on the middle difficulty, did it on the harder ones?
Fuck the open world shitgibbons, there's no Far Cry story or Assassins Creed story that's decent, and there's no fucking towers to climb or map to check either.

I'm just going to burn some spider webs with my bullet lighter, brb

The Crumb

Great series, I love how physical and immersive everything feels. I really liked Exodus too, the semi open world stuff was done well and the last level was a brilliant gritty, desperate slog.
A shame the monster boss fights are always a bit rubbish.

AngryGazelle

Bought Exodus on PS5 and just couldn't get on with it. The audio is buggy, the ai is shite, and I just found a lack of polish overall.

Shame really as I had high hopes for it but I just wasn't having fun.

Ignatius_S

Recently picked up the first two games on the Switch - wanted to play the first again and try the second.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 13, 2021, 10:59:40 AM
Aww man, fuckin love Metro 2033 and Last Light, genuinely probably the best FPSes I've played for years, and I've played the new Wolfensteins in the same period.

Do I remember correctly that, as a largely linear shooter coming out around the time that yer Far Crys were gaining popularity was something that didn't do it any favours critically?

I think some of the technical issues were a much bigger issue for it critically (although it was well received).

In terms of other games, would say the Stalker series were the main ones that it was being compared to. There was a lot of anticipation for Metro 2033 being a spiritual successor, which created disappointment as it wasn't open-world.  Generally, it was viewed more as a survival horror rather than a FPS shooter and don't recall reviewers making comparisons to titles like Far Cry.