Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elementary, anyone?

Started by paruses, October 24, 2021, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Thread title is meant to be a bit like "Elementary, my dear Watson" just FYI.

This seems to have drifted between free and the opposite of free on Prime forever. I've remembered that Prime Video exists again and here it is. I've jumped into S3. I think I motored through a load of seasons over the years but never remember where I got to. Am sure there's an arc but it doesn't seem to matter.

I really like this. I think Miller is great and pretty funny. Lucy Liu is an object of my desire anyway but also plays really well off Miller.  I like how she's not a sidekick and has an equal share of pretty much every episode. I would go so far as to say she is the stronger character in it although I haven't watched for ages.

I think it's much better than Sherlock (although I hardly saw any of that - I just didn't like it) and doesn't have the weird broad appeal but also cult status of that show.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has an opinion. Sure there have been a few threads on this but I hardly ever see it talked about (not just here). Someone mentioned it on the #Random work Slack channel and I was excited. Just watching the one about AI. Am at the point in the series where the British protege has turned up (the one with a name like Timothy Olyphant but not that). I think Omar from The Wire (RIP) is a few series on as a protege.

Neomod

Enjoyable fluff as I recall.

paruses

I don't think that's unreasonable.

I have a feeling there is a bit more to it but I can't remember. It fails somehow on not being fluff. I will be back after half a dozen episodes to either respond in all caps or just agree.

Fambo Number Mive

I have watched a few episodes of this, a couple of episodes were really interesting but I found a lot of them were just Holmes solving a rather dull crime. Maybe that's something that's just standard for most crime dramas. It's not a bad show and an interesting take on the character. Liu as Watson is the best thing about the show.

paruses

That's a really good point and something I'd not been able to place - the dull crimes and villains make for a lot of background episodes and then something that grabs you (me) to make you (me) invest more in it. I like it but it is insanely forgettable.

elliszeroed

The end of the first season (final three episodes I believe), with Vinnie Jones and others were brilliant. The show never reached that high again.

Catalogue Trousers

Definitely a better take on the Holmes stuff than Sherlock. Hbomberguy isn't right about everything, but he was spot-on when he praised Elementary as a solidly-made and at times inspired show and dismissed Sherlock as an over-written, over-produced, over-pissed pile of shit.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on October 24, 2021, 12:09:27 PM
Sherlock as an over-written, over-produced, over-pissed pile of shit.

First two series' openers and finales are fun, third is a step down, fourth is wank with an ending on par with shit like Rise of Skywalker. Don't see anything more to it than that. Certainly no need to make a youtube video longer than any episode of Sherlock whining about it, but I guess bomberguy identified an audience. I don't like him at all, to be fair. I used to but then he made that really wank video about some webcomic and it got all meta and a poster farted him out or something. Complete waste of time. He also seems smug without having any talent to back it up. Maybe he makes some points, but I can't help but feel his video was just a pile-on Steven Moffat which the internet was mad about doing at that time. Jekyll is also really fun and mad.

So no, I've never seen Elementary.

paruses

Quote from: elliszeroed on October 24, 2021, 10:34:27 AM
The end of the first season (final three episodes I believe), with Vinnie Jones and others were brilliant. The show never reached that high again.

I've watched 17 episodes now. Admittedly I fell asleep in some but I couldn't off hand tell you one plot from another. It always almost seems to be exciting then they take their foot off the gas (accelerator). It's really quite a frustrating show.

I might jump forward a series or two and do some random sampling.

Good call on the Vinnie Jones eps. I did enjoy those. I'll go back to S1 I think for some comfort.

Natnar

Been making my way through this and i'm up to mid-way season 5 and it's pretty good. Like others have said the first couple of seasons are the best although later seasons are still quite enjoyable. By season 5 it does come a bit generic but there is still the odd bit of Sherlock lore that creeps in every now and then.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I watched the first three and a bit seasons and it's decent enough for what it is, even if it leans very heavily on SHERLOCK DOES DRUGS HE DOES DRUGS JUST LIKE IN THE BOOKS DID YOU KNOW IN THE BOOKS HE DOES DRUGS? I'm also amused that it made Holmes/Watson canon, except it's the other Holmes.

Ferris

Great little show - doesn't piss about, or get too clever, or outstay its welcome plus Miller and Liu are a safe pair of hands.

Comes on, does the story and ties everything up at the end, and that's yer lot. Watched it when our son was tiny and our brains were fucked and it was perfect.

Seen every episode twice and couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Marvellous.

phantom_power

My favourite bits are when Miller starts channelling Rik Mayall