Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:19:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games or game series that really ought to be remade/revamped/revived

Started by Mister Six, October 27, 2021, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Bollocks to the never-ending versions of bloody Skyrim, which games or series could really do with a 4k spit and polish, a complete ground-up remake, or a modern revival?

Or is there a game with a great plot/ideas/gameplay that was just lacking something and could be improved in a new version?

Personally, I'd love to see Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem brought back from the grave. A properly unsettling Lovecraft-inspired survival horror/action game with a madness gauge (which would lead to hallucinations - some very meta - if it dropped too low) and a really great, unique-for-games storyline, it's kind of been forgotten, being consigned to the GameCube, and being just a bit too old and simple-looking for an easy hi-def remaster.

So bring it back! Same story, same mechanics, but more immersive environments, perhaps a little bigger in size (although it was about the right length anyway I think), maybe some lore books knocking around (nothing that would completely drain the central mystery) and with a bit more personality for your otherwise cypher-like modern-day heroine and I think you'd be on to a winner.

Mister Six

Not just talking 3D games here. Want a modern Dizzy revival? State your case!

Pink Gregory

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I said it in the recent N64 thread, but it bears repeating: Body Harvest. Giant bugs! Time travel! Vehicles! Shooting! Puzzles! I'm sure Rockstar could bash it together out of using bits of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption.

Another one that came up in a recent thread: Condemned. It doesn't need a remake, but I'd like to see a spiritual sequel that fixes some of the clunkier gameplay from the original and tones down the supernatural stuff in favour of more Seven/Silence of the Lambs style atmosphere.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on October 27, 2021, 08:44:09 PM
Not just talking 3D games here. Want a modern Dizzy revival? State your case!

I just want a proper Dizzy collection, with modern QOL features.

The Evercade Oliver Twins cart came close. Ish.

The Crumb

Red Faction. Guerrilla, not the mediocre fps ones or its shitty sequel. Surely a couple of gens on we could get some wild destruction.

Burnout. picking up from 3, not the less good sequels. Arcade racing in general has died a death.

Wipeout.

Quote from: The Crumb on October 27, 2021, 10:51:36 PM
Red Faction. Guerrilla, not the mediocre fps ones or its shitty sequel. Surely a couple of gens on we could get some wild destruction.

Burnout. picking up from 3, not the less good sequels. Arcade racing in general has died a death.

Wipeout.
There was that Wipeout Omega Collection a few years ago. I never really got that series though.

I second the other two nominations. Game devs are always talking up their fancy physics engines. A new Red Faction would be the perfect application for one.

Quote from: The Crumb on October 27, 2021, 10:51:36 PMRed Faction. Guerrilla

That was another game I could only play in short bursts, it was pretty one note and mindless, but the combat was loads of fun and smashing up all those buildings was just a riot.

I remember people on console arguing with me about the combat, saying it was dogshit, so I'm assuming there must have been some dodgy controls or auto aiming or something on the pad, but yeah, great fun.

Mister Six

Was Guerilla the one with the two-player competition to smash up as much stuff as possible? That one was great.

madhair60

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 27, 2021, 11:08:13 PM
I remember people on console arguing with me about the combat, saying it was dogshit, so I'm assuming there must have been some dodgy controls or auto aiming or something on the pad
The shooting was adequate, as I recall - bog standard cover based stuff - but it's not like it was the big draw of the game anyway. Machine gunning some bastards seems a bit dull when you can drive a lorry through their wall, lob mines all over the place, collapse the roof on everyone, before making your escape in a stolen tank, laughing all the while. A new version with modern mega physics and buildings that don't all look like a climbing frame covered in plasterboard, would be fantastic.

The Crumb

Quote from: Mister Six on October 27, 2021, 11:56:40 PM
Was Guerilla the one with the two-player competition to smash up as much stuff as possible? That one was great.

Yup, great bit of fun that. Also was random enough that someone new to the game could pull off an upset.

Lemming

Funnily enough my first thought on seeing the thread was the original Red Faction! Great setting and concept hampered by general shiteness in the combat and, sometimes, level design. The game has a lot of similarities with the original Far Cry, both in the fact that the stories and characters are virtually the exact same in both games and in the gameplay ideas, like crap vehicle segments.

Makes me wonder if a Red Faction remake might benefit from a Far Cry-esque approach, encouraging a little bit more stealth and moving from cover to cover, rather than the actual Red Faction 1 which encourages you to run forward wildly firing in the hopes that one of your shots manages to hit a guard's ridiculously small headshot hitbox.

samadriel

I'd love to see Mimimi Games remake the Commandos series. Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics make each character far more unique, whereas in Commandos 2 you can clear the levels the same way with most of the cast -- everyone has the cigarette packet, most of the cast can tie up knocked out baddies... I reckon cut out about half the cast and make a Commandos game in the style of Desperados 3. Meanwhile, fuck the "HD remaster" that came out recently -- the fan-made updates are way better.

beanheadmcginty

Some sort of Carmageddon/Burnout mash up with really detailed gore and crashing.

Catalogue of ills

The first Tomb Raider. Yeah yeah, obvious choice, mainstream etc, but it really was a great game and the newer ones that look amazing are too combat oriented and not puzzle oriented enough for me. Maybe chuck in a few more save points since I can't just pull a load of sickies to complete it these days.

Quote from: Lemming on October 28, 2021, 11:09:30 AM
Funnily enough my first thought on seeing the thread was the original Red Faction! Great setting and concept hampered by general shiteness in the combat and, sometimes, level design. The game has a lot of similarities with the original Far Cry, both in the fact that the stories and characters are virtually the exact same in both games and in the gameplay ideas, like crap vehicle segments.

Makes me wonder if a Red Faction remake might benefit from a Far Cry-esque approach, encouraging a little bit more stealth and moving from cover to cover, rather than the actual Red Faction 1 which encourages you to run forward wildly firing in the hopes that one of your shots manages to hit a guard's ridiculously small headshot hitbox.
In a game about blowing shit up, I guess subtlety wasn't a priority (although it did have those undercover stealth bits). As with Guerilla, I remember the shooting being perfectly decent.

If I were to make a criticism (based on my almost twenty year old memories of the game) it's that the "Geo Mod" thing was little more than a gimmick when it should have been the core of the game. The times it was critical to your progress were so rare that they might as well have been scripted events. Maybe you could have some mining gadget that tells you the properties of your surroundings and how many explosives you'd need to affect it, letting you get more tactical about things - e.g. blasting through a wall to take a shortcut, at the cost of using up a load of your explosives; or you get blocked by a squad of goons and, instead of shooting you way out, you blow up a seam of loose earth mars and bury them in a landslide. I think the original only had one example of that kind of thing near the start, when you can blow up the bridge that a tank is crossing. After that, it was pretty much Half-Life on Mars.

Gah! I really really want a new game in the series now.

Magnum Valentino

Ristar deserved a sequel. Cutting about headbutting cunts to the best soundtrack ever, yeah give him a second series you shit!

Poobum

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on October 28, 2021, 01:45:02 PM
The first Tomb Raider. Yeah yeah, obvious choice, mainstream etc, but it really was a great game and the newer ones that look amazing are too combat oriented and not puzzle oriented enough for me. Maybe chuck in a few more save points since I can't just pull a load of sickies to complete it these days.

There is Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is good despite one almost game breaking mechanic. The developer commentary is quite good as well. Though another remake using the mechanics of the newer games coupled with the world of the first would be brilliant. Would absolutely love a Tomb Raider 2 Anniversary, the fan made one that's released half a level looks great.

H-O-W-L

Gonna be my usual pretentious bore cunt self but I can't really think of much beyond maybe Metal Gear 1/2, which have aged horrendously, even for MSX games.

The Crumb

It would be amazing if the AKI gang could reunite to make a wrestling game on modern tech. And while they're at it, a good sequel to Def Jam: FFNY (ignoring the shite sequel we got).

Zetetic

I'd really like to see Tropico (2001) tackled by someone who took the setting and the mechanics a little bit more seriously - rather than what we've had in the knock-offs from 3 onwards.

Even better if it managed to jam something in a bit like Hidden Agenda (1988) or Suzerain (2020).

Pink Gregory

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 28, 2021, 03:49:08 PM
Gonna be my usual pretentious bore cunt self but I can't really think of much beyond maybe Metal Gear 1/2, which have aged horrendously, even for MSX games.

Make Ghost Babel in 3D

boki

Quote from: The Crumb on October 28, 2021, 04:19:38 PM
It would be amazing if the AKI gang could reunite to make a wrestling game on modern tech.
It looks as though the forthcoming AEW game is likely to be somewhat close to that.

elliszeroed

Uridium.

Old C64/ Amiga game. You pilot a tiny manta space ship that has to take down a huge enemy ship/ hulk. Could be a great 3D game. Basically a bunch of boss fights, you have to get in close, dodging their attacks and fighters, take out the hulks defenses to allow for back-up, take out radar, shields, etc.

evilcommiedictator

Do a proper Dungeon Keeper remake, not the average "War for the Overworld" which hits the right notes but has no soul

Clownbaby

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on October 28, 2021, 01:45:02 PM

Agree. The new ones have all the personality sucked out of them, because for some reason the developers of the new games wanted to erase everything that made the Tomb Raiders what they were. I've always wanted to play the oldest ones properly, but the controls, I can't get away with them

My obvious choice is Silent Hill, all it does is get dangled in front of us and snatched away again. Who even knows at this point

Pink Gregory

How has there never been an HD collection of Ape Escape.  I think the first one was quite heavily promoted due being something like the first game to fully use the dual analogue sticks, and then I barely heard anything about Ape Escape 2, and anything further completely went under the radar.