Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:08:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games or game series that really ought to be remade/revamped/revived

Started by Mister Six, October 27, 2021, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

"Legend" is very good, I think (and is only 99p on Steam, or at least was a few days ago. Nice mix of the good things about Tomb Raider.

AngryGazelle

I think the Max Payne series is as good as any to revamp or remaster. I've only ever played 3, and I loved it. Would be great to see the trilogy remade, the first two in particular look very dated.

They could use the PS5 haptic controller to play around with the slo-mo stuff too - harder presses slow time more, for example.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 12, 2021, 02:17:51 PM
How has there never been an HD collection of Ape Escape.  I think the first one was quite heavily promoted due being something like the first game to fully use the dual analogue sticks, and then I barely heard anything about Ape Escape 2, and anything further completely went under the radar.

+1 for this.  Due a reboot.  Naming the Ape Escape monkeys would be a top 5 dream job for me.  Nearly up there with selecting new ridiculous JML products.

Mister Six

Quote from: AngryGazelle on November 12, 2021, 03:23:26 PM
I think the Max Payne series is as good as any to revamp or remaster. I've only ever played 3, and I loved it. Would be great to see the trilogy remade, the first two in particular look very dated.

They could use the PS5 haptic controller to play around with the slo-mo stuff too - harder presses slow time more, for example.

Honestly, the first two are still great fun, dated or no. Just get 'em on PC, they'll run on any half-decent modern laptop.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The first one is definitely dated looking, but in a charmingly nostalgic sort of way. The character faces all being static photos feels like a very specific late '90s-early '00s look.

beanheadmcginty

The Last Ninja 2 but in an open world city. Kind of like the Arkham games but you're a ninja and it's the 80s New York and it's got a banging soundtrack.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Mister Six on November 12, 2021, 09:27:06 PM
Honestly, the first two are still great fun, dated or no. Just get 'em on PC, they'll run on any half-decent modern laptop.

Yes the 'gunplay' is great still, great pulpy comic book story, doesn't take itself too seriously, great time.
Great.

Spiteface

Bushido Blade.

I liked that it was different to the Tekkens, Virtua Fighters and Dead or Alives of the day. One-hit kills, injuries that affect the characters' movements, and freedom to go anywhere with the fight.

No one else has really attempted it since the first two games on PS1. Imagine it now, refined gameplay and visuals like Ghost of Tsushima (a game I couldn't get on with, but it looked absolutely gorgeous).

I think there is some recent game that is along the same lines. Hellish Quart, apparently.

https://youtu.be/TEwOmdnX50s

Glebe

Harpo Speaks

Dino Crisis in the style of the recent Resi remakes. Or just a new Dino Crisis generally.

surreal

I'd love a remaster of the Crusader: No Regret and No Remorse games tbh, big favourite of mine when they first came out .  You can get them for pennies on GoG but a proper cleaning up and updating of the control system would be cool

beanheadmcginty

Interstate 76. Hopefully this time they'd be able to make a game good enough to compliment the fucking incredible soundtrack.

Cerys

Quote from: Glebe on November 13, 2021, 02:58:32 PM
I'd like to see the Soul Reaver games remastered.

Oh yes.  But keep the music exactly as it is.  Shivers.

Glebe

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 12, 2021, 09:46:29 AM
My obvious choice is Silent Hill, all it does is get dangled in front of us and snatched away again. Who even knows at this point
I'm ambivalent. The first two are high in my all time favourites list, but I think they were almost too good at what they did for any worthwhile follow up. I'd only want it back if they can come up with some new take on it. We don't need another spin on the formula of the second game.

If you haven't already played it, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice has a lot in common with Silent Hill. The setting and gameplay are different, but its approach to horror feels similar.

Glebe

Arkham Origins, come on. I'm not paying €18 for an old Xbox 360 copy in CEX.

Fr.Bigley

Rampage. Ultra HD monster smashing up shit.

I can see it already.

beanheadmcginty

Another series, like Red Faction, that would would benefit from these whizzy physics engines they have these days.

Norton Canes

Lords of Midnight re-tooled for Steam as a virtual board game

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on November 14, 2021, 03:58:47 PM
Arkham Origins, come on. I'm not paying €18 for an old Xbox 360 copy in CEX.

Is weird innit? They have the Arkham trilogy all games with dlc for sale for like 20 quid every few months. Couldnt hurt to just chuck Origins on with it.

boki

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on November 15, 2021, 03:48:32 PM
Is weird innit? They have the Arkham trilogy all games with dlc for sale for like 20 quid every few months. Couldnt hurt to just chuck Origins on with it.

Origins was coded by a different team to the other Arkham games, and that seems to be the reason it never gets updated, although I don't know if it's professional snobbery, some issue with lack of access to the code, a worry that it would be too time-consuming for the staff to familiarise themselves with someone else's work, or something else entirely. Shame, because I would love to play it, but since I have a PS4, even a second-hand shop dive wouldn't help.

The news that there is a new film of The Running Man in the works reminded me that I'd love a new version of Smash TV. The original was perfect pick up and play arcade action. You'd need to be careful not to dilute the streamlined simplicity that made it so addictive, but I think there is scope for adding some new features here and there: a points multiplier for unbroken/stylish killstreaks, greater mobility and more variety of character classes, powerups, arenas etc.

It's an obvious candidate for online multiplayer. Come to think of it, I'm surprised there wasn't a new version made to cash in on Left 4 Dead, since the basic setup is so similar.

I don't know if it would be better to go first person, over the shoulder, or stick with the bird's eye view. As long as it remained fast, frantic fun, I think it could be great. You might even say it would be a smash.

abobo

Outrun

Airborne Ranger an old c64 game

And some mad PC fps called Soldier of Fortune

samadriel

ACTION FIGHTER. Start as a motorbike, turn into a car, turn into a jet. On the orders of President!