Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Tory cronyism

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 03, 2021, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Forcing through a suspension of Mr Patterson's suspension so they can review the rules. Utterly shameless. Just naked cronyism.

Although I do think - does suspension from the House of Commons as a punishment not mean that the MP cannot raise matters on behalf of their constituents for 30 days?

bgmnts

It's democracy though, it's what the people want.

Cuellar

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 03, 2021, 04:51:39 PM
Although I do think - does suspension from the House of Commons as a punishment not mean that the MP cannot raise matters on behalf of their constituents for 30 days?

Serves the constituents right for voting for the sort of person to get suspended.

JaDanketies

It feels like politicians can get away with sleaze at the moment. The guy might even get re-elected. Do you think it would've gone differently had it been a Labour man, should Labour carry on in their direction?

The Tories are in that phase they always go into in government where they think they can get away with anything. The worrying thing this time is that they seem to pretty much be right. Priti Patel broke the ministerial code but got away with just brazening it out.  They want to neuter judicial review in the UK so that they can't be held to account for anything by the courts (not that anything really happened when they were found to have illegally prorogued parliament) and now they're pulling shameless stunts like this. I've seen them as corrupt as this before but never quite as shameless.

peanutbutter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 03, 2021, 08:39:14 PM
The guy might even get re-elected.
Looking at the constituency's history they'd vote for the guy from lostprophets if he was the Tory candidate.

Really should mean he's just extremely disposable and okay to ditch. Keeping him could (probably won't, but could) wind up costing them a couple of swing seats. I guess the concern from all involved if that they show one person can be gotten rid of then they'll all feel like they're next.

Fambo Number Mive

Angela Richardson MP was sacked as a PPS for abstaining. She called it "a matter of principle" but wouldn't the most principled thing to do to be to vote against?

Meanwhile Paterson (it seems he only has one t after all) still has a brass neck:

Quote@SkyNews
·
16m
Former minister Owen Paterson has admitted that he continues to work with the two firms he was found to have lobbied on behalf of and would "absolutely" do the same thing again after he was reprimanded by the Committee on Standards.

Quote@mikeysmith
There are Tory MPs who are *currently under investigation* by the Standards Commissioner voting to undermine the Standards Commissioner.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail runs a front page which blames "MPs" in general rather than the Tory Party. Still spinning for Johnson and his friends.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 03, 2021, 11:06:05 PM
The Tories are in that phase they always go into in government where they think they can get away with anything. The worrying thing this time is that they seem to pretty much be right. Priti Patel broke the ministerial code but got away with just brazening it out.  They want to neuter judicial review in the UK so that they can't be held to account for anything by the courts (not that anything really happened when they were found to have illegally prorogued parliament) and now they're pulling shameless stunts like this. I've seen them as corrupt as this before but never quite as shameless.

It's really concerning how we are more or less a one-party state. A Labour Party led by people who want to destroy it, a media who either parrot what the government say or barely criticise it (the US "liberal" media seemed a lot more critical of Trump than the UK "liberal" media is of Johnson), social media full of Tory bot accounts parroting what the government says, grifters pretending to be critical of the government while parroting what the government says...

And I don't see how this is going to change. I think Johnson has the supporters of the Brexiteers, the hard right and the "non-political" people who like him because he is good at wordplay and has funny hair. I did think he was a one term prime minister, but now I'm not so sure.

Paul Calf

When he leaves, he won't be voted out.  It'll be the usual tactic of quietly stepping aside for someone new a year or two before the next GE.

Zetetic

Starmer's Guardian article has a thoroughly idiotic start: "You know how these Tory MPs have been done for cash-for-access and sexual harassment? Now, imagine that happening at a private company - got that? Well, it was like that but in the English Parliament with those Tory MPs."

No hyperlink, doesn't deserve it.

richjj1978

I used to work in a job that meant I met Paterson every few months for about 5 years.

Personally, i never saw anything that he's accused of, but it's doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He was an odious, self absorbed little git.

jobotic

All this criticism that they are making parliament look bad and shaking people's faith in it are missing the point - that's the fucking plan.

Notice the Daily Mail are angry about this, or pretending to be, but they blame "MPs", not Tories.

Paul Calf

Quote from: richjj1978 on November 04, 2021, 08:43:12 AM
I used to work in a job that meant I met Paterson every few months for about 5 years.

That's a long meeting.

pigamus

At least the Daily Mail are slagging it off. The Sun are ignoring it completely.

Fambo Number Mive

Indeed, the Sun are trying to distract everyone with a front page all about an alleged feud on Countdown. I suppose them not going with the Labour data leak shows how the Establishment want Starmer as Labour leader.

poodlefaker

The Jockey Club does seem to have an influence in a lot of this - Paterson, Jenrick, Hancock, Dido Harding.  We should be rounding up the jockeys.

Butchers Blind

Paul Calf

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 04, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
The Jockey Club does seem to have an influence in a lot of this - Paterson, Jenrick, Hancock, Dido Harding.  We should be rounding up the jockeys.

I think we should avoid picking on the little guy.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 04, 2021, 07:47:55 AM
Meanwhile the Daily Mail runs a front page which blames "MPs" in general rather than the Tory Party. Still spinning for Johnson and his friends.

When the original expenses scandal happened, all newspapers (not just the Telegraph who got the secret data) focused more on wrongdoings by Labour MPs, and it was mainly Labour MPs who went to jail. Research shows that women MPs are also more likely to be condemned for this kind of thing than men. (LSE study).

Norton Canes

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 04, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
The Jockey Club does seem to have an influence in a lot of this - Paterson, Jenrick, Hancock, Dido Harding.  We should be rounding up the jockeys

Remove the whip (or was that the joke, sorry)

Anyway what a fucking shock, this 'furious backlash' has prompted them to rethink their plans.

king_tubby

Fambo Number Mive

Every time I read "Paterson" I keep thinking of Kevin and Perry.

Alberon

The opinion of most of the papers this morning is that Paterson shat the bed with an overly combative round of media interviews last night.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm sure Labour won't win the by-election, especially after this GDPR issue will have alienated many of their supporters. The Tories know they have a client opposition.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 04, 2021, 02:48:06 PM
I'm sure Labour won't win the by-election, especially after this GDPR issue will have alienated many of their supporters. The Tories know they have a client opposition.

I don't think the GDPR issue will affect Labour's chance sin the slightest. Those who remain in Starmer's party won't be upset by some data leak and those who have already left would possibly not be voting Labour anyway.

Paterson's made a statement.

QuoteI have today, after consultation with my family, and with much sadness decided to resign as the MP for North Shropshire.

The last two years have been an indescribable nightmare for my family and me.

My integrity, which I hold very dear, has been repeatedly and publicly questioned.

I maintain that I am totally innocent of what I have been accused of and I acted at all times in the interests of public health and safety.

I, my family and those closest to me know the same. I am unable to clear my name under the current system.

Far, far worse than having my honesty questioned was, of course, the suicide of my beloved and wonderful wife, Rose.

She was everything to my children and me. We miss her everyday and the world will always be grey, sad and ultimately meaningless without her.

The last few days have been intolerable for us.

Worst of all was seeing people, including MPs, publicly mock and deride Rose's death and belittle our pain. My children have therefore asked me to leave politics altogether, for my sake as well as theirs.

I agree with them. I do not want my wife's memory and reputation to become a political football.

Above all, I always put my family first.

This is a painful decision but I believe the right one.

I have loved being the MP for North Shropshire and have considered it a privilege to have been elected to serve my constituents for 24 years.

I would like to thank my staff who have worked for me so loyally over many years. I also want to thank those who have stood by me so staunchly.

I wish them all the best in that difficult but vital job of being a member of parliament.

I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics.

I intend to devote myself to public service in whatever ways I can, but especially in the world of suicide prevention.

At this incredibly difficult time for my family, we ask that the media respects our privacy and lets us grieve my beloved Rose, the best person I ever met.

Ah, fuck off. Fucking corrupt self-pitying baby.

Oh, of course, he did nothing wrong, but the online trolls were too much to bear.

jobotic

QuoteWorst of all was seeing people, including MPs, publicly mock and deride Rose's death and belittle our pain. My children have therefore asked me to leave politics altogether, for my sake as well as theirs

MPs mocked his wife's suicide? Publicly? That's disgusting. He'll have to name them, right? They should be chucked out.

Unless he's....lying.

Alberon

His wife committed suicide last year on his birthday which he partly blames on the long drawn out disciplinary process.

Also appears the Tories didn't bother to tell him about the U-Turn.

QuoteNo10 didn't tell Owen Paterson it was performing U-turn

He was in supermarket when he found out he was no longer off the hook in call from BBC journalist, @bbclaurak
tells #wato

jobotic

I know his wife committed suicide (because of the investigation into his corruption, not because of his corruption, obvs).

What I'm questioning is that MPs publicly mocked her for it.