Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Big Owl closes?

Started by Thosworth, November 20, 2021, 03:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thosworth

Great Big Owl have an exceptional roster of comedy-leaning podcasts.

https://greatbigowl.com/

I've subscribed to many of them over the years. My wife is a Strictly fan and I watch with one eye, while stroking a device. The last few years have been made immeasurably more entertaining by the laugh-out-loud podcast Curse of Strictly. Last week's ep was notably absent, which led me to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/curseofstrictly/status/1459129343850991616

Seems a massive shame if GBO are closing. They put out consistently great shows.

beanheadmcginty

Are Great Big Owl a production company? They're more of a distribution network aren't they? I know for a fact that they have zero input into the production of Chart Music for example. There's been no other reports I can find of this happening, so maybe the makers of that particular podcast had a production company themselves that they're closing.

RicoMNKN

https://twitter.com/boxdelightspod/status/1461645910748930050

QuoteOur parent company Great Big Owl is closing. But don't worry, there'll be a hiatus  until the new year and then Box of Delights will be back.

Glad Box of Delights is going to continue.  Hopefully others will too.

Thosworth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 20, 2021, 04:00:02 PMAre Great Big Owl a production company? They're more of a distribution network aren't they?

That would make sense I suppose. A lot of the replies refer to Great Big Owl though, but there's no real concrete facts. (Although the post that slipped in above, seconds before this one confirms it)

Magnum Valentino

There's been no Rule of Three since last year either but I've never seen official confirmation that it's finished. Mind you, I'm not on Twitter which I suppose is where you'd hear.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

There's been no official announcement from GBO themselves, but it's only a matter of time by the sound of things.

I hope this doesn't fuck things up for the Chart Music gang.

badaids

Right look, all that matters is that Chart Music is okay? Okay?!

gilbertharding

... Ms Raeside from the Curse of Strictly podcast is married to the Co-founder of Great Big Owl (Framley Examiner man Joel Morris) which might make that particular podcast a different proposition.

Shame though. About half the podcasts I currently enjoy are GBO publications.

McChesney Duntz

I wonder if that means the existing 'casts are going to be scattered to the land of wind and ghosts, or still available for all to hear...? I may have to get cracking downloading Rule of Three episodes just to be on the safe side...

mr. logic

What does this mean for Brian and Roger?

Enzo

How will I live without Tracy Ann Oberman's 'Trolled' podcast?

typeforty

That explains The The One Show Show's recent announcement that they'll be going full Patreon in the new year...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I really can't stress this selfish point enough: Chart Music must prevail.

Which it probably will, in some form or another. But that podcast has been an absolute godsend during the last few awful years. A comforting lifeline.

Comrade Shaky must be worth a bob or two, maybe Al can ask him to provide a new platform for the show.

Quote from: mr. logic on November 20, 2021, 07:06:50 PMWhat does this mean for Brian and Roger?
The accompanying blurb on the latest lot of Brian & Roger podcasts says "Brian & Roger is now part of the AUDDY family" which are another podcast publisher.  Mind you, it also still says "produced by Marc Haynes and Joel Morris for Great Big Owl" so who knows what the fuck's going on?

beanheadmcginty

Just had a word with Al and he says don't worry, there's a new thing being set up and he'll be moving over to that. CM fans feel free to breathe a sigh of relief.

famethrowa

Doesn't seem it would change much for CM, they were going before GBO came along and can still keep collecting that sweet patreon dollar down their g-strings. I guess what GBO does is puts up the episodes with ads on the various platforms, splits the ad revenue, and hopefully gets you on the podcast pop charts.

(Just a thought, maybe time to start Great Big Al?)

KennyMonster

Quote from: Enzo on November 20, 2021, 08:37:38 PMHow will I live without Tracy Ann Oberman's 'Trolled' podcast?

I'm a fan of a lot of GBO pods

Plenty Questionz
The Fear
Rule of Three
Box of Delights
Chart Music

but I didn't know about that one you've mentioned.
I sounds Baddiel-level awful, is it?.

maybe GBO going isn't so bad.

Gurke and Hare

What do/did they actually do? I listen to a couple of podcasts that are "a member of the Great Big Owl family" and they doesn't seem to be anything different going on that isn't happening with any other podcast that's three people talking over Zoom. Is it all the post-production stuff?

famethrowa

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 22, 2021, 05:40:09 PMWhat do/did they actually do? I listen to a couple of podcasts that are "a member of the Great Big Owl family" and they doesn't seem to be anything different going on that isn't happening with any other podcast that's three people talking over Zoom. Is it all the post-production stuff?

Pretty sure they just put ads on and host you on all the podcasting sites and charts, that's about it. It's for getting your stuff "out there" and hopefully monetising it a bit.

DrGreggles

Yeah, they're just a hosting platform with a decent reach, so good for boosting the listenership.

paruses

So would they make money (or break even) by taking some money from the podcasters? Am just thinking I can't think of any commercial products or services that are advertised in the "ad breaks" - it's all other GBO podcasts.

I tend to tune out in the non-podcast bits but seem to think they were advertising a podcast festival. Assume that would be knocked on the head now.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: paruses on November 22, 2021, 11:47:18 PMI tend to tune out in the non-podcast bits but seem to think they were advertising a podcast festival. Assume that would be knocked on the head now.
I recall some of their podcasts having live tapings at the London Podcast Festival, I don't think GBO had their own festival though.

paruses

Quote from: Vroomo on November 23, 2021, 08:47:40 AMI recall some of their podcasts having live tapings at the London Podcast Festival, I don't think GBO had their own festival though.

Yea that does sound more like it. I just remember the schtick being to book 16 tickets ... or just 1.

Thosworth

Quote from: Vroomo on November 23, 2021, 08:47:40 AMI recall some of their podcasts having live tapings at the London Podcast Festival, I don't think GBO had their own festival though.

Yes - I went to the The The One Show Show show. Was disappointed in how modest the audience was, considering it's one of my absolute favourite podcasts.

bobloblaw

If I recall, GBO were being shafted by Regus locking them into a long-term contract on their office/studio despite it being unusable during lockdown. Not sure of the fallout from this but as a small company, paying for space they can't use won't have helped the business.

paruses

That's pretty shit of Regus but not a surprise. Apart from the fact that their ad inserts were quite jarring more often than not - unavoidable I suppose given the model - I like(d) their stable, as we in the business say*.

Is Wolf and Owl one of theirs? Might be the word Owl in the title and the fact that one of their stings is a bit like a hoot that's confused me. Really enjoy that one for a bantz podcast (in the nicest sense).

*I am not in the business**
**I miss footnotes more than I thought I would

Pranet

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 23, 2021, 11:15:56 AMIf I recall, GBO were being shafted by Regus locking them into a long-term contract on their office/studio despite it being unusable during lockdown. Not sure of the fallout from this but as a small company, paying for space they can't use won't have helped the business.

I remembered one of the Rule Of Three people complaining about GBO being screwed over office costs and that must have been it.

cincoveces05

Wrestle Me has just gone Patreon only in the last few weeks. I thought it was just because they had come to a natural end, but maybe not.

cincoveces05

Quote from: Thosworth on November 23, 2021, 10:36:19 AMYes - I went to the The The One Show Show show. Was disappointed in how modest the audience was, considering it's one of my absolute favourite podcasts.

Mine too, even though i've never seen an episode of The One Show.  I just think Marc Haynes is one of the funniest people ever.

bobloblaw

Sad to see Box of Delights host (and Mrs Joel Morris) Julia Raeside confirm the news in a discussion on Twitter.
BoD will continue after 'a short hiatus', she assures us