Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most advanced country

Started by Crenners, November 28, 2021, 10:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crenners

Who is the closest to what you would say is heading 'in the right direction' for the human civilisation?

I don't mean technologically necessarily (but it might be), nor do I necessarily mean 'same politics as me', I mean which country in your opinion is the best current model for the future of human civilisation?

I've been looking into moving to Taiwan. Feel like they could be top ten. Finland also looks decent in some ways, despite the impenetrable language. Singapore would be good in many ways but they chop your head off for spitting. Probably why it's so chilled. Canada maybe up there, never met a bad one.

It's a complex question.

imitationleather

Shame they're probably gonna be totally destroyed within this decade though, eh? 🤣

Crenners

Shame for you maybe. Nucular winter is my favourite season. Scarf and gloves, get the fire on and have a mince pie.

imitationleather

Ten-pager about how the answer is all parts of the UK except England incoming.

beanheadmcginty

Bhutan all the way. Only country to measure success by Gross National Happiness rather than wealth, massively into conservation of the environment and they play some sort of mad sport where they launch arrows at each other's villages.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 28, 2021, 10:29:46 AMBhutan all the way. Only country to measure success by Gross National Happiness rather than wealth, massively into conservation of the environment and they play some sort of mad sport where they launch arrows at each other's villages.

Only decriminalised homosexuality in 2020

the science eel

Noodle Lizard

Taiwan (along with most South East Asian countries I know of) has very strict abortion laws and a death penalty, so I don't know if I could consider it too advanced in that regard at least.

For my money, the Netherlands tend to be a bit ahead of everyone else (at least as far as social issues go) and consistently rank highly on all the good things (quality of life, education, healthcare etc.) They were also the first country to legalise same-sex marriage. I'm sure they've got their issues, but they appear to be a pragmatic nation with a consistently decent head on their shoulders.

I'm always surprised when Singapore comes up in these sort of conversations.  Unimaginable inequality exists there.  About 10% of the population lives on $5 per day or less in place where the average worker earns $70k pa.

Like London in the late '80s, only with added mosquitos.

It's usually your Scandinavian countries + the old commonwealth (Aus, Can, NZ) which top these lists.

Though when I hear 'advanced' I instinctively think of Japan.

Goldentony

cant be nethrlands, nobody looks where the fuck theyre going in the street

PlanktonSideburns

There's a milk vending machine in Aberystwyth, and the 2p machines at the arcade launch the coins rather than drop them. I could go out for a walk by the sea, get a deep fried donut, milkshake, and play the Jurassic park shooter game for under a tenner if I wanted to

Beat that

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Goldentony on November 28, 2021, 10:58:46 AMcant be nethrlands, nobody looks where the fuck theyre going in the street

Don't need to, they got a system. They were all shaking their heads as you bowled about in your yfronts, cursing over your shoulder drinking strong bow

Icehaven

Northern European countries, i.e. Iceland/Norway/Sweden/Finland are supposed to be alright in terms of equality, quality of life, progressive politics etc. Not perfect of course and apparently booze is pricey in Norway but still sounds like a better place to live than most of the rest of the world. If you don't mind it being cold and dark a lot of the time though.

Crenners

Would anyone still say America?

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 28, 2021, 10:35:13 AMOnly decriminalised homosexuality in 2020

But for absolute clarity, they are now full down for debauched bumming frenzy?

shoulders

Quote from: Crenners on November 28, 2021, 11:15:12 AMWould anyone still say America?

MERICANS and perhaps some of the duller pigshit ignorant thicko cuck British

BlodwynPig

Once you've reached adulthood, Vatican City, great ice cream parlour around the corner.

tourism

Hex Triplet

Quote from: Crenners on November 28, 2021, 11:15:12 AMWould anyone still say America?

USA will be rusting on the ocean floor like a big whale carcass picked clean by hagfish within the next century.

Crenners

Looking forward to the Wild West 2 and then the Westerns movie revival.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on November 28, 2021, 10:53:22 AMThough when I hear 'advanced' I instinctively think of Japan.

And me, although I imagine any country that still has the death penalty ought to be discounted.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 28, 2021, 10:29:46 AMBhutan all the way. Only country to measure success by Gross National Happiness rather than wealth, massively into conservation of the environment and they play some sort of mad sport where they launch arrows at each other's villages.

Agree, Bhutan is an amazing country and the only sane voice in a mad world.

Crenners

Where is it exactly? Sounds foreign.

imitationleather

Bhutan has solved the problems other countries face by only letting you go there if you're stinking rich.

badaids

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 28, 2021, 10:45:31 AMTaiwan (along with most South East Asian countries I know of) has very strict abortion laws and a death penalty, so I don't know if I could consider it too advanced in that regard at least.

For my money, the Netherlands tend to be a bit ahead of everyone else (at least as far as social issues go) and consistently rank highly on all the good things (quality of life, education, healthcare etc.) They were also the first country to legalise same-sex marriage. I'm sure they've got their issues, but they appear to be a pragmatic nation with a consistently decent head on their shoulders.

I love The Netherlands but the Dutch are often very difficult and outspoken (though they would call it being honest and helpful), then there is the Zwarte Piet issue, and finally the fact that's it's acceptable to throw massive fireworks around the street for 24 hours at new year - it's like Helmand province mixed with The Purge. But yes, I'd live there in a flash, great place and people.

Not as good as Norway though.  The prices are insane, but then so are the salaries.

badaids

Isn't Costa Rica meant to be an amazing place. Incredible natural environment, ecological focus and the only country in the world with no Armed Forces.