Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Winter 2021-22

Started by Mr_Simnock, November 28, 2021, 11:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

It's snowing outside at the moment around my way and it's been very cold this last week, seems like winter has finally arrived. Pendle Hill is covered and I went up yesterday to have a look but my god the wind was hellish, could hardly stand up. I know the east side of the UK has had a lot of snow, another CaBers surrounded by the wight stuff? I need to get my parents stocked up on fire wood too, Dad's ill so he isn't leaving the house as much and needs to just sit quietly next to the stove fire all day. Glad I am now working from home, feel for anyone having to try and travel to work in the cold and snow each day.

mothman

Had to drive my wife to an archery competition this morning, out the door by 7am. Going round to the east of Cheltenham, was amazed to find the hills dusted with snow. Then ran an errand that took me round the top of the town before heading back to the M5, and it was bright sunlight and not a trace of snow anywhere else.

Trying to remember if I've ever seen snow in this country in November (in the parts of the country I'm usually in, of course) but drawing a blank.

wooders1978

My little dog had a delightful time frolicking about trying to catch the snow in her mouth - very uplifting - took her out this morning for a chilly but sunny stroll over the hills - absolutely love this time of year

This is what we woke up to yesterday morning in Wolverhampton. It started thawing by mid-morning but the remaining snow/slush has frozen solid now, making pavements pretty treacherous.

shoulders

Quotewight stuff?

Channel 5 spiritual medium phone-in

greencalx

We ordered a sledge around the time of the last lot of snow, and inevitably it arrived after it had all melted. So my son was insistent that we give it a go this morning, even though I thought there probably wasn't quite enough for it to be worthwhile. He got a few good slides in down the local hillside so that's good.

I was a bit surprised by the snow this morning: the storm had been well trailed, and it was quite breezy on Friday night, and had assumed that whatever snow there would be would come with that. Looks like it'll probably be gone in the next couple of hours.

Sebastian Cobb

Was really cold Friday night, I think the winds were forcing air through the seals of my lounge windows, which then caused the warm air to be pushed out the room towards the back of my flat.

Blue Jam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-59446663

QuoteDozens of customers at Britain's highest pub have spent a second night trapped by heavy snowfall brought by Storm Arwen.

Sounds like Heaven...

QuoteGuests became stranded at the Tan Hill Inn, in the Yorkshire Dales, on Friday night after going to watch an Oasis tribute band.

...ah.

shoulders

By now they've probably moved on to having to learn Blur songs.

beanheadmcginty

I reckon there are some people who at the very first sign of snow make a beeline for one of those remote hilltop pubs in the hope that they get trapped in there for days. I know I would if I lived anywhere nearby.

Blue Jam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 28, 2021, 03:23:13 PMI reckon there are some people who at the very first sign of snow make a beeline for one of those remote hilltop pubs in the hope that they get trapped in there for days. I know I would if I lived anywhere nearby.

So would I, sounds wonderful:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/26/experience-snowed-inside-a-pub-for-nine-days

mothman

QuoteFor the next nine days we worked by day, looking after our guests, and by night we ate and drank like kings, feasting on all the finest food from the specials menu – steaks, pies, roasts – washed down with an ale or five. After all, if we didn't eat the food, it would go off, as would much of the ale. We stoked the fires until they roared louder than the wind outside and had a party every night. We drank, laughed, watched movies and played Monopoly before staggering drunk up to bed in whichever guestroom took our fancy.

Sign me up. Next CaB meet should definitely be this.

Sebastian Cobb

Had a power cut earlier, which was good as it disrupted a boring training call, god knows why I decided to rejoin tethered to my phone really.