Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What non-new films have you seen? (2022 edition)

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 01, 2022, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 31, 2022, 05:55:38 PMAwww, I really like Death Race 2000.

Put me down as a fan of Death Race 2000, but I can see it losing people in the middle. Really needs more point scoring action to liven it up. Still, many enjoyable bits throughout.

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

Not bad, kinda half way point between Pulp Fiction and Knives Out. Does go on a fair bit, at 140 mins, but I can't put my finger on anything to trim. Just make it a bit snappier? Still, all the cast do a great job, and the story keeps you engaged. 8/10

elliszeroed

Just watched Knives Out. Loved it. I think i would have enjoyed it more at the cinema, where there would be no distractions (apart from guy eating chicken wings, guy needing to pee, someone with a cough, and couple snogging in the back). Good film, but not one I think I'll watch again. Once you know the solution, there's nowt to make you want to watch it again. Unlike The Long Goodbye which I watch at least twice a year.

Dex Sawash

Colon Blimp on HBOMAX was fine on the roku on tv so just a mobile problem. Not in mindset to pay attention though, turned it off.

Saw Knives Out last night, it was fine.

Sebastian Cobb

Torso - Grim sleazy slasher Giallo.

Reform School Girls - camp punky spin on the women in prison genre, imagine Scum but in a women's prison and it was directed by John Waters (it isn't really, just feels like it) and you won't be far off. Scholocky as hell but good.

Mobius

Watched that Nicholas Cage one, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Thought it'd be funnier tbh. Bit mediocre really.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mobius on January 01, 2023, 05:43:42 AMWatched that Nicholas Cage one, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Thought it'd be funnier tbh. Bit mediocre really.
Yeah, I didn't really think it was anything special. Just Nic Cage being Nic Cage in a mediocre film. I've seen plenty of his films, but wouldn't describe myself as an obsessive Cage fan, so maybe I'm not the target audience. Certainly not as good as Mandy or Pig or Colors Out Of Space, for instance.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 24, 2022, 03:11:14 PMAnyway, the "star", such as she is, looked vaguely familiar, but not enough to bother looking up til the next day. Turns out it's Jennifer Holland, aka Harcourt off of "The Suicide Squad" and "Peacemaker". Good on her for making it out of this world.

If I was cynical I would say being married to James Gunn wouldn't hurt in that respect but she is very good in Peacemaker so I won't be

sevendaughters

enjoyed the Powell and Pressburger chat back there. I'd say my favourite is probably Matter of Life and Death for its unabashed romanticism and power, but a shout to things like Gone to Earth and The Canterbury Tales as 'lesser' works that really deliver something.

watched absolutely shitloads over Chrizzer

News From Home - footage of early 70s New York plays as Chantal Akerman narrates from letters written by her increasingly manipulative mother, demanding more letters and attention, being unable to be pleased for her new life in New York. Destablising and downbeat piece, but that's Akerman for ya. Really well done.

My Old School - new film but not big enough to warrant its own thread, documentary about the guy who tried to pass himself off as a 16 year old at age 32. I think it captures something bigger about the social aspect of school, complicates some of the morality of it, but remains frustratingly at arms length on its subject. Not bad though.

The Apartment - another masterwork from Billy Wilder with Jack Lemmon eating 3 Weetabix and going to work for this acting performance. The scattered mentions of suicide and the general an-cap sentiment; this is my kind of shit.

Cleo From 5 to 7 - currently #14 on the SAS all time list and possibly a little overrated in that regard - I love Varda but don't think this is better than Le Bonheur or The Gleaners, though I love the narrative conceit of 2 hours in someone's life and it not necessarily all being 'important'.

Artie Fufkin

RRR - 2022

Absolutely amazingly bonkers Bollywood action film.
Brilliant stuff.
Comes in at a little over 3 hours, but it just flew by.
Cannot recommend highly enough.
Camp as Christmas.

Dr Rock

The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodovar 2011)

Going through some Almodovar movies and came across... this. It's nothing much like any of his other movies, it's a body horror/Dr Frankenstein story with at least one very unexpected development.

Antonio Banderas is a suave top surgeon working on synthetic skin to help burn victims etc. He's also got a woman imprisoned in his house, who he's experimenting on in some way. Who is she? Well, you'll find out. Along the way madness leads to flashbacks of madness, and I can confidently say you'll not have seen many movies like this. 10/10

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 16, 2023, 12:07:04 PMThe Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodovar 2011)

Going through some Almodovar movies and came across... this. It's nothing much like any of his other movies, it's a body horror/Dr Frankenstein story with at least one very unexpected development.

Antonio Banderas is a suave top surgeon working on synthetic skin to help burn victims etc. He's also got a woman imprisoned in his house, who he's experimenting on in some way. Who is she? Well, you'll find out. Along the way madness leads to flashbacks of madness, and I can confidently say you'll not have seen many movies like this. 10/10

Sounds good. Which year did you watch it in?

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Just watched the Phantom Thread (2017). Liked it a lot, especially for the "tone" of the film. Weirdly, I didn't even realise Paul Thomas Anderson had directed it until the end credits, which sort of validates both my enjoyment of the film (untainted by expectations of genius), and PTA himself (the film spoke for itself).

phantom_power

Quote from: Easy_To_Assemble on February 28, 2023, 01:04:23 AMJust watched the Phantom Thread (2017). Liked it a lot, especially for the "tone" of the film. Weirdly, I didn't even realise Paul Thomas Anderson had directed it until the end credits, which sort of validates both my enjoyment of the film (untainted by expectations of genius), and PTA himself (the film spoke for itself).

I didn't expect it to be so funny

PlanktonSideburns

Love how it feels like it's going to be dead pretentious, but it's actually just a film about a massive twat and his wife

phantom_power

It's Till Death Us Do Part directed by Fellini

PlanktonSideburns

God, he REALLY is a twat in it though isn't he, fair play to him

When you find out what his wife's upto, even though its MENTAL, your like, yea fair enough love, mad approach to the situation but I totally see where your coming from, I probably wouldn't do THAT per say, but something of a similar magnitude certainly

PlanktonSideburns

Love it when Buxton asked him what he wishes he had directed, with out missing a beat he says that bit in ace ventura 2 where Jim carey falls out of a rino

phantom_power

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 28, 2023, 08:27:21 PMGod, he REALLY is a twat in it though isn't he, fair play to him

When you find out what his wife's upto, even though its MENTAL, your like, yea fair enough love, mad approach to the situation but I totally see where your coming from, I probably wouldn't do THAT per say, but something of a similar magnitude certainly

He is such a twat he knows what she is doing and lets her

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: phantom_power on February 28, 2023, 09:03:54 PMHe is such a twat he knows what she is doing and lets her

Likes her more for it

Oooh your such a fucking TWAT, I love you so much

Mental

Laughing just thinking about it

PlanktonSideburns

Should have been called

The Twat and his Wife

Leave the wife's twatosity a mystery obvs

George White

State of Wonder (1984)
This film was featured at the Official Selection at the 1984 Berlinale, but  doesn't seem to have got any kind of public release (at least in US or England) bar a few screenings in Kerry. Director Martin Donovan ended up having a career, with Apartment Zero (1988), Mad at the Moon (1992) and writing Death Becomes Her (1992), but this film vanished to the point when I first happened upon its imdb, I wasn't sure if it was real or not. And having watched it, I still am not quite sure.
It may be one of the most bizarre films ever made in Ireland. I thought I'd never see it, then randomly found it on Youtube, uploaded by costar Michael Halphie (semi-familiar as a renta-Arab in UK TV in the 80s).
Technically a British production but made by an Argentinian director  with an international cast (including Annie Chaplin, one of Charlie's daughters) in Kerry, with a mix of professionals and local amateurs (who are all dubbed), it's hard to explain what it is. It's about a simple-minded youth in a war zone. 
Reminded me of Taxi Mauve (1977) and Light Years (1981)) in terms of a foreign eye on the Western Irish countryside,  and Mondo Candido (1976) with scenes of a blond innocent wandering through a strange idea of Ireland's Troubles. Here, it's shot in Kerry locations with Land Rovers full of soldiers parading through fields, but everything seems to suggest it is a South American banana republic, with Spanish names, but also medieval style peasants, and yet  everyone has British accents.   With its post-synced dubbing, there's a children's TV drama vibe,  It doesn't dress the locations. There are still Catholic churches and phone boxes with Telefon, but  it is not Ireland. It is nowhere.   The church has posters of John Lennon alongside God.  There is a Diana-esque Princess and a sub-Modern Romance samba music number in a church hall.   Lead Nigel Court (who only did a few Italian films later on) is a bit Lance Kerwin-ish, and forgettable enough, but he somehow works.
The climax on a beach is striking, with these almost post-apocalyptic warriors wandering about trying to overthrow the occupying soldiers.
In all, a tragic, beautiful film that hardly anyone saw, and thus I feel lucky to have seen, a few days after being reminded of it, and wondering if I would ever see it.

The most familiar faces are David and Anthony Meyer, alias Mischka and Grischka from Octopussy, playing opposite roles as outlaw leader and dictator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs77MlClmj8

Mister Six