Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January 2022

Started by Ferris, January 01, 2022, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

British Knights tastes of feet

because they are shoes

The premier Gaelic Barron Knights tribute band.

pancreas

I am being punished with this by Gecko for various misdemeanours.

Ferris

Just think how completely hammered you can get in February, guilt-free.

pancreas

Nah, I think I'll just hide a bottle of armagnac in my filing cabinet.

Ferris

Another victim of my impending wave of mid-January smugness.

RIP.

Blue Jam

Quote from: pancreas on January 02, 2022, 07:45:20 PMNah, I think I'll just hide a bottle of armagnac in my filing cabinet.

...with a couple of drowned ortolan in it?

Cold Meat Platter

Glebe

I'm having a Bailey's now. Fuck much else to do to be fair.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 02, 2022, 10:59:28 PM...with a couple of drowned ortolan in it?

A Cheeky Chick Tom

Twit 2

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 02, 2022, 02:22:18 PMwho cares if it's not followed to the letter.

Am I the only one doing Hedonism January?

shoulders

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 01, 2022, 08:06:33 PM"Please keep coming to the pub and drinking soft drinks, on which we have a 1000% mark-up".

Wow, are goods more expensive in pubs? Just reeling here from that news.

poo

sprocket

Quote from: Glebe on January 02, 2022, 05:27:47 PMDISCLAIMER: THE IRISH KNIGHTS IS MADE UP BULLSHIT AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF THEM ANYWHERE IN IRISH MYTHOLOGY OR FOLKLORE. SHOP SMART - SHOP ASDA!

Ferris

A week in - who's still hanging tough with me?

Neighbours just gave me a couple of beers for shovelling their driveway (Canadian winter) and I'm completely not arsed about drinking them. Stuck them on the top of the fridge, see ya in 24 days free beers mate.

Crenners

Thought I had AWS, no joke, spoke to some charity service stop drinking guy, he said there's a lot going round, take an LFT. I conquer the demon drenk.

pancreas

Ferris

shiftwork2

Hopefully anyone who's been doing dry January repeatedly has wised up.  Fine to do one or two and have the 'I feel SO much better due to not drinking poison' and make the permanent changes, but to hammer this every year is addiction behaviour.

Ferris

I could give up dry January any time I wanted.

shoulders

I say this every year but it's easier doing your New Year Resolutions and other misc. arbitrary length of time fads in the spring and summer when there's more light, better weather and more things going on that distract.

This is winter. We're supposed to be huddled inside eating and drinking.

But then for some people it's all about the suffering. Did I do good Daddy? No? But Father, please. Twenty more laps around the pyre, surely not? The hail, it doth lash my skin so.

Put on a jumper and sit down! Fucking drink some booze you pathetic self-flagellating cunts. You are actually going to aren't you? Just because someone is shouting at you! Fucking worm. Invertebrate length of dog shit!

non capisco

Yeah, go for a pint if you want one, you bunch of John Harvey Kelloggses. Unless you've been told your internal organs are packing in or something I don't know why you'd deny yourself something you usually like in January of all months. "Midwinter's famously a bit bleak, isn't it? Not enough for me, I need to make it bleaker. I'm the best at not enjoying myself, everyone knows that."

Ferris

Well that makes sense in theory but the thing is I won't do it in spring or summer.

In fact I don't really want to do it in more amenable months - January is shit anyway; back to work, party's over, no more pressies or fun plus I usually cane it in December so it's a good place to stop, and Dry January being a "thing" that people have heard of means it's less weird when I go to the pub and drink tonic water. Do that in May and people think you're a tragic booze-head who's hitting rock bottom, but they'll never suspect a thing this time of year.

Plus if I'm going to be hunkered down in the middle of omicron FUCKDOWN working remotely then yeah not a bad month to be teetotal, compared to July when it's warm and nice and everyone is going mad in the sun.

I'll be there, lampshade on my head, dancing in the street, loving it.

Ferris

I also live for BLEAK so that helps.

The Crumb

Yeah, being drunk at home with the drear of January unfolding outside would just be a different sort of depressing. Going dry for January is also a good compromise to keep eating like a mad lord through winter without feeling too horrible afterwards.

Meanwhile summer lends itself naturally to getting on a salad kick, but those are thirsty months.

the Fallen

I'm going the pub. Hopefully it is nice and empty

It usually is when I hold court

Icehaven

Just been in a pub, seemed much busier than December when everyone was trying to avoid getting Covid for Christmas. No one cares now, less likely to kill you and a week off work, woo hoo.

Genuine question to dry Januariers, do you bother with alcohol-free wine or spirits and if so why? Even if you particularly like the taste doesn't it feel a bit toothless and pointless, or do you still get a bit of a psychosomatic buzz? And aren't they a bit expensive considering they're soft drinks so won't be taxed like booze?

the Fallen

The tables are taken by a birthday party but nobody sitting so down drink goes and glass collector she warned me so it's Co op beer again in front of the sousaphone

Ferris

I usually go for tonic water or non alcoholic beer, just to drink something that isn't water. Coke zero also does the business - I've started back on my weights and running so trying to (somewhat lazily) watch calories.

Can't wait to chuck it all away in February.

the Fallen

I just pound water obsessively

When I haven't just walked home from the pub with a box of San Miguel on my shoulder, refusing to move for a cyclist I ordered to go into the road (he just went around me)