Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on September 15, 2022, 03:47:51 PMFederer officially retiring after Laver cup. Not a surprise to see him go, but I'll miss watching him. Such a beautiful game.

Yeah, was inevitable, but end of an era for sure.

I couldn't care less about Laver Cup in ordinary circumstances, but I'll try and watch his last matches at least. Would be cool to see him play doubles with Murray.

shoulders

Hopefully he'll turn up to Masters, etc.

The one thing I remember most vividly from the 90s to 00s tennis is Federer would hit winners from positions every other play would hit defensive shots.

Hewitt did OK for a short while as his game and mentality was so aggressive he psyched the opponents out but it was flat and one dimensional and Federer was already thinking on his returns 'how can this become an aggressive shot?' even though his opponent watching it lure him into trouble wasn't even in their wildest dreams imagining it would come back over the net with more threat.

His bravery to continue taking the risky option makes him standout.

Difficult to call vs Nadal. Nadal possibly the strongest mentally of any elite tennis player.

Vs. Djokovic, Djokovic had the all round game but weird inexplicable drop offs. Djokovic a better overall player.

Federer great to watch. The kind of end of level boss on a computer game. Beautiful, aggressive, carried himself as a champion.

Nadal's moonballing and Djokovic's weird flakeyness seems to dull their achievements for me.

Deanjam

Quote from: shoulders on September 17, 2022, 06:31:26 PMFederer great to watch. The kind of end of level boss on a computer game. Beautiful, aggressive, carried himself as a champion.

This sums it up nicely. There's more to being a great player than just winning, for me.

rjd2

Nadal and Djokovic achievement wise will probably surpass him when its all said and done but their was never much enjoyment to be taken from either of their games. Their mental fortitude and longevity is remarkable but I could never imagine sitting down and watching either on youtube in ten years for any sort of time.

It would have been fascinating to see what Roger would have done if they had not slowed the courts down which also impacted him negatively but aided to the other 2 immensely.

Still though, what a career!

FredNurke

I firmly believe tennis would be a more exciting game if they'd banned double-handed shots and (perhaps more importantly) set a maximum racket head area. It says something about the brilliance of Federer's game that neither would have affected him at all. Easily my favourite player to watch: classy, seemingly effortless, and able to hit winners that seemed actually impossible until he produced them. I don't expect to see another player like him.

selectivememory

Getting a bit emotional seeing all the pictures today of the Big Four hanging out and practising together. Roger's last match in his career is tomorrow night, alongside Rafa in the doubles. There's something quite sweet about the way he's gathered all the biggest rivals in his career to be with him at the end of it all. Shame Roddick and Stan can't be there, but otherwise, it's really rather lovely to see.

selectivememory

Christ, this Laver Cup court is like treacle. Don't think I can sit through however many hours it's going to take Murray and De Minaur to play out their match on it. Will check back in for the Fedal doubles later.

Mr_Simnock

Still think it reflects very well on Murray that despite his achievements don't match the other 3 he still achieved world number 1 and won as many tournaments as he did in their era. It's a shame his problems with spine, hips and feet held him back a bit.

selectivememory

It's been nice seeing him get equal billing with the other three this week. Deserves that kind of respect. He's had an amazing career considering the era he was playing in and his various injury troubles.

Anyway, bit of a turgid match that one. Murray could have won if the court was faster. ADM a nightmare opponent in those conditions. Almost impossible to hit winners past.

Kind of cool seeing Djokovic coaching Murray out there. Still consider Laver Cup a glorified exhibition, but it is fun I guess.

Anyway, time for Roger.

Deanjam

Federer goes out with a defeat, but they came close to winning, did well considering Federer's fitness level. Emotional ceremony too.

selectivememory

Rafa openly weeping after the match and during the ceremony was very sweet. Does seem to be some genuine warmth and affection between them.

selectivememory

Ostrava final was one of the best matches of the year. And Swiatek has finally lost in a big match! It's good to see Krejcikova back to her best. Very watchable game and seems like a really nice person. Honestly think she'd still be top 2/3 if she hadn't injured herself earlier in the year.

rjd2

She pulled the long toilet break trick in the French Open Final did Barbara so not as sold as her as others are.

Pretty dire year on the singles tour for her but that's two events won back to back so fair dues.

Novak qualified for Turin which is pleasing, it would have been absurd if he was not their.

Deanjam

Don't they still do the guaranteed place for anyone who wins a major, but doesn't finish top 8?

selectivememory

Yeah, slam winners have to finish top 20 to claim the place, and he's done enough now to guarantee that much, though he could still make the top 8 quite easily.

Although I don't think the WTA does it. So Rybakina is probably going to miss out, as she's nowhere near the top 8 in the race with no points for her Wimbledon title. Which is kind of unfortunate, though she really hasn't played particularly well this year outside of that Wimbledon run.

selectivememory

Oh, Simona... This is a bummer if true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/63347377

QuoteTwo-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for a banned substance.

The Romanian former world number one tested positive for roxadustat at the US Open in August.

Roxadustat increases the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells through the endogenous production of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO).

Halep, 31, said it came as the "biggest shock of her life".

"Today begins the hardest match of my life: a fight for the truth," she wrote on Twitter

selectivememory

WTA finals are underway. Watching Swiatek-Garcia, which is a great match-up. Caro one of the few at the moment who can really make it competitive with Iga. Good stuff. [edit: well, it was competitive when I posted this, even if Iga won pretty comfortably in the end]

Also nice to see Felix on a bit of streak and qualifying for Turin. Want to see him do well in the majors next year. Feels like he's getting really close to the top level now.

selectivememory

Guess we're going to have to get used to Holger Rune being a top player now. Massive brat, but that was an insane run he's had this week to win the Paris Masters. Saved match points against Wawrinka in the first round, then beat five top 10 players back-to-back, culminating with Novak in the final.

Shame that Alcaraz has gotten injured ahead of Turin. Still an amazing breakout year for him though.

FredNurke

No one breaks out of Alcaraz.

selectivememory

Pretty incredible win for the GB girls tonight against Spain. Needed to win all three rubbers to qualify from their group for the semis of the BJK Cup, and they've done it, including a Harriet Dart victory over Badosa. Even more impressive considering Raducanu is out injured.

They play Australia on Saturday morning for a place in the final (should be on BBC iPlayer). They're still underdogs, but that's a winnable tie for them.

selectivememory

Another great win for Dart, this time against Tomljanovic to level the tie. They'll play a deciding doubles match for a place in the final.