Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum loading issues?

Started by Glebe, January 06, 2022, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Anyone else getting stuck a lot with pages loading here at the moment? I don't mean to be a Moaning Michael but I'm getting this a lot and that '502 Bad Gateway' too. Again I don't want to cause a fuss but it's a fucking disgrace and I'm putting my foot down!

jobotic

Yes same here. I nearly tipped the whole forum over and stormed out of the internet.

Zetetic

Probably my fuck-up TBH, when the forum was upgraded to new version of PHP. Suspect some settings didn't copy over.

olliebean

Haven't seen 502, but yeah, the pages often take a long time to load (actually a long time to start loading - it seems to come it at a decent speed once it's started but there's often a long pause first).

I'm never eating here again.

shiftwork2

No it's just Glebe.  Hold tight lads it seems to be working.

Glebe

Quote from: Zetetic on January 06, 2022, 04:15:30 PMProbably my fuck-up TBH, when the forum was upgraded to new version of PHP. Suspect some settings didn't copy over.

Your work is much appreciated Zettie but FOR FUCK'S SAKE FIX THIS DAMN YOU!

Zetetic

It might be a little bit better now?

The Ombudsman

Yeah, same for me. Slowness, down completely and then very bad gateways.

jobotic

Quote from: Zetetic on January 06, 2022, 04:43:24 PMIt might be a little bit better now?

Much better. I'll just pick this chair up and get you a new coffee and we'll say no more about it.

Ferris

Yeah it's been slow for me as well.

I put my foot through my phone and sent Barry admin the bill!

Endicott

Quote from: Zetetic on January 06, 2022, 04:43:24 PMIt might be a little bit better now?

I'd noticed it too, and while it's early days it does seem better. Snappy, even.

Glebe

Yeah does seem to be okay now thanks!

The Guppy

Right now while I'm typing this another tab is stuck loading, but any second now it'll–ah there we go.

Feels like ~1 in 10 clicks results in a slow load. Takes around 30 seconds before the page starts loading. The rest of the time everything is snappy and gorgeous.

earl_sleek

Yes, same for me, except "All Unread Topics" always takes much longer to load now.

mothman

Bad gateway! Naughty, evil, wicked gateway!

Was really bad earlier, around seven or eight. But then it hangs pretty regularly, often every fourth or fifth action I do on here, whether it's clicking page links, refreshing, or posting.

shoulders

Quote from: The Guppy on January 06, 2022, 05:38:40 PMRight now while I'm typing this another tab is stuck loading, but any second now it'll–ah there we go.

Feels like ~1 in 10 clicks results in a slow load. Takes around 30 seconds before the page starts loading. The rest of the time everything is snappy and gorgeous.

Same

olliebean

This got better for a while after Zetetic did whatever Zetetic did, but it seems to be as bad as it was before now, if not a little worse.

Buelligan

Yep.  BAD GATEWAY and Loading like a motherfucker. 

Zetetic

I currently reckon there are two broad problems:
- Some forum features are massively demanding, relative to the resources of the server, and possibly need to be disabled, just as the built-in search is. This likely includes "All Unread Topics" to be honest.
- I believe the forum is running on a VPS - and some of the spikes might be down to the activity of other VPS sharing the same hardware.

I might just be making excuses - I am really very ignorant of SMF, MySQL, PHP...

(It might also be that there's bunch of basic SQL maintenance that would help at this point, but I've absolutely no idea how long that would require taking the forum down for and haven't brought it up with Barry.)

Ferris

Seems to be working fine for me so maybe it's everyone else pressing the wrong buttons with their giant ham-hands?

TheGingerAlien

I figured some Glinnettes had been going balls to the wall with DDOS cos of how we're supposedly responsible for all his woes.  Either that or Barry had limited my access cos of all the Mr. Chips shite.

Buelligan

Being clear, I seem to have issues for an hour or two, then all's fine for days on end.  Then back again.  There is minimal bandwidth here at the best of times so I put it down to the new format requiring more and me still having (at times) almost bugger-all.

Edit: just as an example, when I posted this, it took, probably, just under a minute to load onto the page.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Zetetic on January 20, 2022, 11:16:52 AMI currently reckon there are two broad problems:
- Some forum features are massively demanding, relative to the resources of the server, and possibly need to be disabled, just as the built-in search is. This likely includes "All Unread Topics" to be honest.
- I believe the forum is running on a VPS - and some of the spikes might be down to the activity of other VPS sharing the same hardware.

I might just be making excuses - I am really very ignorant of SMF, MySQL, PHP...

(It might also be that there's bunch of basic SQL maintenance that would help at this point, but I've absolutely no idea how long that would require taking the forum down for and haven't brought it up with Barry.)
Would removing the info centre from the bottom of the main page help? I imagine most people never even scroll down to it and the ones that do could access it via a direct link that displays just it.

Zetetic

I don't think Recent posts imposes much load.

The slow bit is that SMF maintains records of which posts are unread by which members. (Edit: Or maybe it is read??) You can see how this rapidly produces huge numbers of records. You can decide to clean out these read-records for inactive members (and maybe very old topics), which reduces the keeps the number of these records a bit more sensible - but it's still quite painful.

Buelligan

Is it not possible to clean it out/delete it for everyone.  Then restart it as an option people need to actively choose?

Is this a good place to post a bug?

When you're composing a message and get the "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post" message more than once, any new replies after the first instance aren't displayed.

For example, I go to post something, Ferris posts a reply and I get the message to review and I can see Ferris' post. If I try to post again and Glebe posts something in the meantime, it'll tell me there is a reply, but Ferris' post will still be the last one displayed in the thread. I can only see Glebe's if I exit the reply page and reload the thread.

Ferris

The forum showing more Ferris (and frankly, less Glebe) is a feature not a bug.

Glebe

Quote from: Ferris on January 20, 2022, 12:45:32 PMThe forum showing more Ferris (and frankly, less Glebe) is a feature not a bug.

I think the forum itself has become sentient and is deliberately removing my  posts.

Ferris

Quote from: Glebe on January 20, 2022, 02:53:58 PMI think the forum itself has become sentient and is deliberately removing my  posts.

A sentient CaB is a terrifying thought. Have to take the servers round the back of the shed with a 12 bore for its own sake.

I have a theory that the forum went sentient and killed Neil years ago. Barry Admin isn't the account he uses to post, it's the forum itself. "Oh, I appear to have fallen over and hurt my leg really badly." How likely is that, even? Most humans fall over and their legs are absolutely fine afterwards. A bit of grazing, cuts and bruises at worst. No, I reckon it was just the forum pretending to be Neil, fishing for sympathy donations so it could buy a new graphics card. For wanking purposes.