Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How in step with the GUFFAW thread are you?

Started by Catalogue of ills, January 14, 2022, 04:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on January 16, 2022, 05:53:40 PMI've found some stuff absolutely hilarious, but then a day later when I see it in the guffaw thread I think "why did I bother posting that". Mood must have an impact on what's funny. All very cryptic.

You should post an erratum next time this happens.

Ferris

Last time I was in the guffaw thread there was argy bargy about purloined memes and it got a bit tasty.

I'm staying out until the heat dies down.

TrenterPercenter

Hiya Barry mate, bring back tags please, cheers

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on January 16, 2022, 06:02:51 PMLast time I was in the guffaw thread there was argy bargy about purloined memes and it got a bit tasty.

I'm staying out until the heat dies down.

I seem to recall it was you who stole the memes. And that I found your post funny until I realised it was pinched. If I didn't at the time then I'm just letting you know that I've revoked my guffaws. I don't hold it against you, but I'm only capable of so many guffaws so I want to make sure they go to the worthiest recipients - it's exactly the same as I told those charities when I found out about Savile and asked for my donations back.

pigamus

Quote from: Ferris on January 16, 2022, 05:53:40 PMI've found some stuff absolutely hilarious, but then a day later when I see it in the guffaw thread I think "why did I bother posting that". Mood must have an impact on what's funny. All very cryptic.

Sometimes you never know why. I once heard Mark Gatiss describe Paul McCartney as looking like "a middle-aged postwoman", and I was gone for about fifteen minutes. Couldn't tell you why.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: pigamus on January 16, 2022, 05:31:39 PMI don't think I've ever read it and thought, well that's shit, why the fuck have you posted that. I mean if it didn't make me laugh I can see why it made the other person laugh.

Neither have I, I'm not judgemental about other people's sense of humour. It's almost the reverse, where I almost think my own sense of humour is somehow deficient if I'm not getting the joke. Which is ridiculous of course, there is no objectively good joke. I think the comments about your mood affecting what you find funny are accurate, and there's also the element of being caught off guard. I think maybe that's why the Guffaw thread often doesn't work for me, because I'm too ready for something that, in theory, I'm meant to find very funny.

The Mollusk

It's often about mood and how the preceding posts have panned out. Some of the biggest laughs I have on here are in threads where there's about four pages of serious chat and then one highly inappropriate and overtly crass comment which will send me over the edge. When that stuff is plucked out of its surrounding context and isolated in the Guffaw thread other people probably don't get the same energy from it, and as Ferris noted sometimes you yourself can look back and wonder what you ever saw in the post you quoted that was so funny.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

well now that I've been mentioned in it twice, I love it

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 16, 2022, 11:42:25 AMPerhaps we should have threads to acknowledge posts that have made us feel humble of how our knowledge of the universe is so lacking, or posts that have left us crying tears of bitter rage.. or what about posts that make us fearful of what the future holds for human kind?

Just say your talking about the Otex thread if that's what you mean