Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:53:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA 6 Confirmed by Rockstar & More News

Started by Malcy, February 04, 2022, 09:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

QuoteWith the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. We look forward to sharing more as soon as we are ready, so please stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official details.

Nice to have them finally acknowledge it.

The updated GTAV is due on March 15th.

QuoteWith the GTAV community stronger than ever, Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online will come to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S platforms this coming March 15, bringing the blockbuster open-world experience to players on the latest hardware. We sincerely appreciate the entire community's support over the years as the game now heads into an unprecedented third console generation.

Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S features new graphics modes with up to 4K resolution, up to 60 frames per second, texture and draw distance upgrades, HDR options and ray-tracing, as well as offering the technical advancements of the latest console generation with faster loading times, immersive 3D audio, platform-specific features like advanced haptic feedback, and much more.

PS4 and Xbox One players eager to continue their journey on the newest generation of hardware will be able to transfer both their GTAV Story Mode progress and their current GTA Online characters and progression to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S with a one-time migration at launch.

Does the BIB mean you have to have a Series X/S/PS% near to launch date or else you won't be able to migrate? Seems a bit shit.

They still aren't really saying much other than its a graphical update. I think a lot of people have been hoping for a lot more.

I think Rockstar's glory days are behind them really. Profit over story, content etc now.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Mister Six

Mate of mine at Rockstar says they're moving away from the heavily choreographed missions and locked down systems to a more reactive world with more tools and toys to play around with, similar to Just Cause (not in the sense of grappling hooks and parachutes, just in terms of overall sensibility). Which is good, because R* games are unplayable to me these days because of that design philosophy.

Even RDR2, which everyone enthuses about, lost me when I was told to press X to pick up the pitchfork, press X to pick up the pig poo, press square to deposit pig poo, watch cutscene, press triangle to select dynamite, put dynamite in pig poo, watch cutscene, shoot enemy, MISSION COMPLETE.

So, so, so boring.

Mobius

That sounds great. The missions are so linear and repetitive, easily the worst part of Rockstar games.

I doubt I'll bother with GTA 5 if it's just graphic updates

Noodle Lizard

Sonny_Jim

Company uses announcement of new game that everybody assumed was already in development  to hawk a minor update of a 10yr old game in the hopes more whales will buy more shark cards SHOCKER.

I don't mind the story driven stuff, I much prefered GTA V story mode to online, although I barely played the RDR2 story mode but loved the online one, so go figure.  I guess I have a very low tolerance for griefers and GTAO is full of them.

aunt mildred

Quote from: Malcy on February 04, 2022, 09:52:13 PMNice to have them finally acknowledge it.

The updated GTAV is due on March 15th.

Does the BIB mean you have to have a Series X/S/PS% near to launch date or else you won't be able to migrate? Seems a bit shit.

They still aren't really saying much other than its a graphical update. I think a lot of people have been hoping for a lot more.

I think Rockstar's glory days are behind them really. Profit over story, content etc now.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update

I think it means the first time you launch the updated version on a new console.

R* are usually quite silent about what they're developing until it's nearly done (take note CDPR). I reckon they've been on GTA6 since RDR2 came out (obviously spending time milking GTA and RDR2 online as a priority). I'm guessing next year for GTA6.

JamesTC

Will wait until it is very cheap unless reviews are amazing. All goodwill has evaporated for Rockstar.

Thursday

Not really interested in their online stuff, but I'm completely fed up with the traditional GTA/Red Dead mission design too, so I'm curious to see what they'll do. But I don't think they're stuff appeals to me anymore.

Did any of the issues with the GTA Remastered Trilogy ever get fixed, or are they just pretending it never happened now?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They brought out a couple of perfunctory patches at the start for it that fixed the most glaring issues, but they haven't brought any more out since the end of November. I'm waiting until it's a tenner in about six months.

I'm fully expecting them to hand off the rumoured GTA IV remaster to Grove Street Games, who are the botchlords responsible for the Definitive Editions.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Famous Mortimer

Did the almost uniformly negative publicity affect sales of the definitive edition, I wonder? Like, are Rockstar happy with its performance or not?

Crenners

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 05, 2022, 04:42:37 PMDid the almost uniformly negative publicity affect sales of the definitive edition, I wonder? Like, are Rockstar happy with its performance or not?

Take Two said that the release 'worked very well' for the company, which means whatever you imagine it to mean.

The reality is that the Remastered Trilogy dropped out of the Top 40 in the first week of January.

GTAV is still in the UK Top 10 and is #1 in Australia in Feb 2022. Mental.

Thursday

I'm convinced it's Rockstar buying them at this point, it must have sold 5 times the Earth's population.

Consignia

I believe GTA 5 should be available for free for everyone. They make an obscene amount of money of GTA Online, and 5 is a gateway drug for that. They don't need to make money off the base game any more.

Ferris

So they're making like... one game per decade at this point? That's ridiculous. Same for elder scrolls - it's been 10+ years, rather than selling the same game over and over why not release a new one?

I suppose that requires people to stop buying the same game over and over.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Consignia on February 05, 2022, 10:16:15 PMI believe GTA 5 should be available for free for everyone. They make an obscene amount of money of GTA Online, and 5 is a gateway drug for that. They don't need to make money off the base game any more.

It was free on Epic a while back, and is currently $24 AUD at the moment

Thursday

Quote from: Ferris on February 05, 2022, 10:52:45 PMSo they're making like... one game per decade at this point? That's ridiculous. Same for elder scrolls - it's been 10+ years, rather than selling the same game over and over why not release a new one?

I suppose that requires people to stop buying the same game over and over.

Well they've made Red Dead 2 as well, although there's studios all over, so I dunno.

Bethesda (the dev studio) have done multiple things, although again, I'm sure there's multiple studios or teams that could work on multiple things, so I'm not really sure.

It's not like there all just turning up to their desks thinking "haha we can just do nothing because we're still making money!" though is it?

But yeah it does annoy me that both just entirely missed a generation when it came to releasing an entirely new mainline game in their biggest series.

But I guess, maybe they felt wasn't any point rushing to make another prettier iteration for the sake of it, and the scope of GTA 6 and Elder Scrolls 6 will have to be huge and they'll feel pressure to actually doing something to truly set them apart.

Ferris

All true, and I suppose it's not the lackadaisical attitude that rankles, it's that they actively lean into this shit.

How much effort is rockstar putting into new projects vs releasing new skins for GTA Online that cost real-world currency? Skyrim is a running joke in terms of the number of versions of the game they've released (and the number of platforms), plus they made a load of shitty mobile tie-ins, ultimate versions and started their own elder scrolls online, presumably to get a piece of that GTAO pie.

They're not small shops - rockstar have dev teams and offices all over the world. I think they fall back on "we don't wanna rush it" too much when really there's just no incentive to do anything beyond milk the fuck out of existing IPs.

I understand wanting to avoid a CyberPunk 2077 situation, but 11 years on there's no release date for the next elder scrolls game and it could be 15+ years in between titles. That's crazy - the companies are setting their own schedules (it's not economic conditions or lack of resources or whatever) so what's the holdup? I'd argue it's their incentive to divert production resources and make $$$ the easy way.

H-O-W-L

Everyone in this thread seems to be forgetting that literally all the masterminds and writers behind GTA and its success have left Rockstar since GTAV released, with the last of them leaving in '20 (the Housers), totally sealing the deal that any future GTA will be a completely souless corpowhore game alá yer Watch_Dogs (MORE LIKE DOG_SHIT!) and the like. Not that GTAV wasn't a corpowhore game (it was), but still.

That's the biggest reason it's taking a decade for the game to be made, and why I'll be surprised if we see anything about it at all before 2024.

RDR2 was the swan song of old Rockstar and the reason it's such a deep and rich game, atmospherically and design wise, is because the Housers knew they were fucking off from the company very shortly after its completion, hence why it's so jam-packed.

Any of the non-Houser folks (Andy Hay, Christian Cantamessa, James Worrall etc) whom drove the subplots and B-Projects like Manhunt haven't been involved since RDR1, which is why GTAV is such a visible tonal shift in comparison.

Rockstar as it once was has been dead for just about a decade now, and the Housers leaving was the last heap of dirt on the grave. I've nae interest in a further GTA, not a lick of it. I don't think there's anywhere for the series to go anyway. Its best days are long behind it.

Thursday

Good points, but as I say I'd grown really tired of what the Houser's would produce, so I'm probably more interested to see what'll happen next now. I'm not saying it'll be better or even that it'll be driven by a new creative drive, but I'm intrigued to see how it'll go.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Thursday on February 06, 2022, 12:24:42 PMGood points, but as I say I'd grown really tired of what the Houser's would produce, so I'm probably more interested to see what'll happen next now. I'm not saying it'll be better or even that it'll be driven by a new creative drive, but I'm intrigued to see how it'll go.

Same here, the writing on the Online DLC has been noticeably less tiresomely edgy since the various senior staff exits.

On the other hand the direction of Online in that time suggests more celebrity guest appearances integrated into the game regardless of whether the celebrity can act or not.

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on February 06, 2022, 12:24:42 PMGood points, but as I say I'd grown really tired of what the Houser's would produce, so I'm probably more interested to see what'll happen next now. I'm not saying it'll be better or even that it'll be driven by a new creative drive, but I'm intrigued to see how it'll go.

Aye, I found GTA IV, RDR1 and GTA V tiresome, unfunny and dull for the most part. The occasional spot of good writing (the stuff with Bonnie, her dad and the marshal in RDR1) would be drowned by pretty much everything else (all the stuff in Mexico, the wearingly nihilistic side missions, fucking Irish). The missions have become ever more choreographed and micromanaged, so that they feel like not-very-quick QTEs or like tutorials for a game that never actually arrives. The mechanics are basic and repetitive. And meanwhile, thousands of man hours are pumped into building vast, detailed but empty maps and minigames that are dull and unrewarding. Or adding in shite like shaving and washing your clothes, or watching the ridiculously detailed skinning animation every time you fell a boar, that only distracts from the game itself.

I'm currently getting into the Yakuza games, and even though they're dissimilar to GTA in their core gameplay (being on-foot brawlers rather than driving/shooter games), they get everything else that GTA does absolutely right. I'd much rather play a game where the core mechanics are complex and rewarding, where the city is small but packed with detail and incident, where the serious stuff is well-written and the silly stuff genuinely funny, where the main characters are endearing and the villains compelling, than yet another edgy, boring old load of Houser-era Rockstar wank.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

With regards to GTA 6, it's going to be in Vice City isn't it, but in a modern setting. I'm not really sure how appealing that is. The big draw of Vice City was the 80's, with the music and the Scarface references and everything else. If they were being really brave they'd set it in the 70's, which is a period they've never covered (imagine the soundtrack!)

I read an interview with a Rockstar goon once where they said that they'd never set a GTA game in the past again because they wouldn't be able to integrate the mobile phone into the mission or online structure, but they managed it with RDR 2, didn't they? Just have you receiving your missions from a payphone, or have a marker on the map show up, same as it was in the "classic" games.

If it's set in the 70s, you could use CB radio. I've thought they should set one in that sort of era since San Andreas.

Mister Six

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 06, 2022, 05:44:25 PMWith regards to GTA 6, it's going to be in Vice City isn't it, but in a modern setting. I'm not really sure how appealing that is. The big draw of Vice City was the 80's, with the music and the Scarface references and everything else. If they were being really brave they'd set it in the 70's, which is a period they've never covered (imagine the soundtrack!)

Mafia 3 cornered that, I suppose.

It seems so perfect for GTA though, with all the history and pop culture to riff on: Music films, Vietnam, Watergate, Convoy (the song and the film). I've not seen Mafia 3 though. Maybe that did it all.