Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA 6 Confirmed by Rockstar & More News

Started by Malcy, February 04, 2022, 09:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mister Six on February 08, 2022, 10:03:40 PMThere's the "would it be fun?" factor though. The RDR2 map is fun because you're traipsing around hunting wildlife and tracking down bandits or whatever. GTA is primarily focused around driving, and even off-roading will only amuse for so long.

Again, GTA is a victim of its limited tools. Vast wildernesses work in Just Cause because the ludicrous grappling hook/parachute combo makes traversal a breeze, and the "fighting a dictator" scenario gives you plenty of reasons for helicopters, jets etc to be flying (or lying) around the place. In GTA, you're only going to be able to steal flying vehicles at specific locations (of which there aren't many), and there's no fast or fun way outside of that to quickly move cross-country.

True, and there's also the fact that flying in GTA games is absolute shit.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 08, 2022, 07:54:05 PMI don't know - if you look at the US now, it's only the coasts and the lakes that are heavily populated, the rest is still very big and open with only the odd city and a lot of wilderness.
Assuming next-gen tech allows it, they could scale up the RDR2 map, make St Denis and Annesburg big cities, maybe one new one north or west of the mountains or in the desert, then places like Valentine and Blackwater would be small motel-and-gas high-school-football towns.

Good point, you've sold it to me instantly. And RDR2 did have an incredible ability to make a couple of minutes of wilderness between towns feel like a proper distance through gradual changes in the landscape. Even something as 'obvious' as the snow gradually disappearing as you come down a mountain is done in such a subtle way that you barely notice it changing.

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 09, 2022, 09:18:24 AMGood point, you've sold it to me instantly. And RDR2 did have an incredible ability to make a couple of minutes of wilderness between towns feel like a proper distance through gradual changes in the landscape. Even something as 'obvious' as the snow gradually disappearing as you come down a mountain is done in such a subtle way that you barely notice it changing.

This was a real strength of the game. The sense of place in the various locations and the game's ability to change between as you run about it's really impressive, even if you're looking for it.

Natnar

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 07, 2022, 02:46:22 AMMafia 3 was set in the late 60's though.

I played Legion recently and it was sadly wank for a number of reasons, but one of them is that London doesn't translate well to an open world game. It's too built up, and without a countryside area to get out to (I dunno, Hertfordshire or something in that case) it all gets rather samey. Just a load of grey buildings and narrow streets. GTA 4 had the same problem being set in New York.

It'll be interesting to see what Rockstar do next, because they do seem to be at a genuine stumbling block, and really need to shake things up.

I really enjoyed Watch Dog Legion. I liked wandering around London for hours on end. Yes it had it's flaws but i thought it was a good game.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think a trick Legion missed was having a little info pop up like you get in Assassin's Creed games that tells you a bit of history about the monument/location/building you'd just discovered. Not living in fancy London, I only know all the main touristy attractions, and I wasn't going to be arsed to Google everytime I found a location, so I missed that educational side of the games. (I'm pretty sure Watchdogs 1/2 had something like that, so I'm not sure why it was dropped).

Oh, and all the main characters in the game (the mission givers like the police woman and Hamish, the hacker or whatever) seemed to be voiced by Canadians doing a bad accent, which unfortunately seems to be a thing with Ubisoft.

Utter Shit

I bought Legion purely on the selling point if being able to wander around London, but it just felt so lacking in character and depth. Yeah, you could drive down Oxford Street or whatever and that was good fun for a few minutes, but you couldn't interact with it in any meaningful way and, beyond the look, it didn't really feel like one location was different from the next.

mobias

From what I can gather the map will end up being the whole of the USA, from East coast to West. But it won't be like that at launch. It'll start off being one or two cities and slowly build up via episodic DLC into one huge map. The map of RDR2 was the big experiment into making one map area (which was actually relatively small) seem like it was much larger by trying to seamlessly incorporate many different areas of the US.

Rockstar now apparently have crazy AI tech at hand to help make their maps, but particularly all the building interiors. I did hear something about potentially every single building in all the cities being fully enterable and designed. Again RDR2 was the test bench for this. Some of the interiors in RDR were not built by hand.

I guess its probably similar to the Matrix game demo you can get on the PS5 which was built by AI.

GTAVI will be a very interesting game to see, in terms of its tone and direction. It'll be quite a departure from the other games I think. Obviously a lot of it will be geared towards GTA Online but from I can gather the direction will change there. The over the top-ness of some of the current GTA Online world is being ditched in favour of a more realistic approach.

Don't hold your breath for it though. I recon it'll be later in 2024 before we get to play it.

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on March 01, 2022, 08:40:18 PMThe over the top-ness of some of the current GTA Online world is being ditched in favour of a more realistic approach.

So more obsessive futtering about in pursuit of absurd detail and unnecessary scale, while reducing the opportunities for fun by pushing for more "realism".

Hooray, it's GTA IV all over again!

Fucking Rockstar, man.

Zetetic

The pitch: Daggerfall (1996), but with worse writing and worse gunplay.

Zetetic

Ferris

As it happens, I've started replaying Vice City cos it was free on PlayStation Now, and I've really enjoyed it (for the silly game it is). It has a feel, like "yeah, this is a grand theft auto game". I'm surprised how strongly I get that sense memory of mid '00s gaming.

Compared to the squashy nothingness of the modern offerings. Still diverting enough games, but I don't get the same sense of... authorship? Design? I don't know.

Malcy

The next gen GTAV & Online are half price on Xbox I noticed a while ago. Not sure about PS5 but would assume so.

Still no footage but here's a rundown of the details.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/t93xjg/leaked_new_feature_set_chart/

Buying the Online version gets you $4m and a property, a business and a weapon.

H-O-W-L

When they made GTAV's shooting a diluted Max Payne 3 with equivalent lethality and general chorey design I knew it was all over really. I love Max Payne but MP3 was ruined by checkpointitis and cutsceneuenza and GTAV was even worse.

colacentral

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 07, 2022, 01:49:28 PMIf they're taking anything from RDR2 I hope it's the ability to enter the majority of buildings. More difficult to implement in a metropolis than a game like RDR2 where there are far fewer buildings, but imagine having the ability to enter any house you want and cause aggro for the owners.

In a nutshell, why the RDR games are far superior to GTA. That and the fact that the slower travel by horse makes the world feel bigger, and the lawlessness makes more sense in that context.

Malcy

GTA Online now has a monthly subscription service for next gen that gives you shite amounts of cash and cars and whatever. Money grabbing arseholes. The next title will probably have a pay per mission tariff.

BeardFaceMan

Its weird, I have such good memories of Online from when it first launched, there were a group of us here from the CaB clan who played together regularly, we were about to go to war with Limmy's clan when I stopped playing, it was a lot of fun. But even back then you could see how easy it was to be cunty to people and it's like Rockstar saw that aspect and then designed the whole game around it from then on. Along with a mountain of microtransactions, natch. I darent even fire it up these days, such a shame to see what it's become.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Malcy on March 27, 2022, 05:48:20 PMGTA Online now has a monthly subscription service for next gen that gives you shite amounts of cash and cars and whatever. Money grabbing arseholes. The next title will probably have a pay per mission tariff.

The early access to the HSW Deveste Eight is the initial alarm bell, particularly if like all the HSW vehicles, it is significantly faster than anything else in its class.

That's p. much the only thing in there designed to tempt long time GTA Online players, everything else is content catch-up and pointless aesthetics.