Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Direct tonight at 10pm (UK time) - 09 February 2022

Started by Kelvin, February 09, 2022, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Not really a catch-all thread for Nintendo news anymore, so might as well start a thread in case there's anything to discuss afterwards.

Starts at 10pm.

Kelvin

Magnum Valentino

Kelvin

bgmnts

I just want a whole hour of watching Miyamoto play Pokemon whilst dressed as Mario and humming the Legend of Zelda theme.

Old Nehamkin

Kelvin

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on February 09, 2022, 08:09:23 PM14 new Zeldas and I'll be happy.

Hopefully there'll be one were Link is the playable character rather the eponymous Zelda.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on February 09, 2022, 08:16:56 PMHopefully there'll be one were Link is the playable character rather the eponymous Zelda.

They did it with Metroid.

Kelvin

Gonna be hard to top this 60 seconds from their last Direct

Kelvin

Kelvin

Nothing mind blowing, but lots of solid games. Advance Wars looks decent, Kirby continues to impress, Mario Kart 8 getting 48 (48!!) new courses over 2 years, Wii Sports could be good with friends, and Xenoblades are usually great, even if the last one was a bit rough around the edges.

The third party games seem to be getting worse, graphically, I've noticed. The hardware's desperately in need of a revision.

madhair60

That was the best fucking Direct ever for me. New Mario Strikers! Fucking Klonoa 2 FINALLY. Radical FUCKING Dreamers. Chrono BASTARD Cross. LIVE-A-CUNTING-LIVE. Mario Kart 8 DLC?!?

bgmnts

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2022, 08:04:27 PMI just want a whole hour of watching Miyamoto play Pokemon whilst dressed as Mario and humming the Legend of Zelda theme.

Did we get this?

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

I will still pay for it and play it all though.

Splatoon 3 as well

Thursday

Wow a really good Nintendo Direct. Was not expecting that.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on February 09, 2022, 11:29:05 PMThat was the best fucking Direct ever for me. New Mario Strikers! Fucking Klonoa 2 FINALLY. Radical FUCKING Dreamers. Chrono BASTARD Cross. LIVE-A-CUNTING-LIVE. Mario Kart 8 DLC?!?

That's great to hear, I did think of you when the Kirby game came up, because I know you didn't love the initial reveal. Has it grown on you at all? Its seems packed with ideas, like the best Nintendo games.

Kelvin

48 new courses for Mario Kart is surreal. That's doubling the base game. Why not just make a new Mario Kart at that point, the sales would be higher.

And why didn't they say you'd be getting DLC free when they announced the N64 online pass thing? That's immediately a better deal once you know you can get big DLC packs with it, like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.

buntyman

The new Mario Kart tracks is great news, especially with it being included as part of the online expansion pack. The new Wii Sports is a nice surprise but the sports they've included seems a bit half-arsed. Needs a bit more variety but it seems like there's a possibility of more being added.
Looking forward to giving Earthbound a go on the SNES later today. Not much else of immediate interest to me and I agree that the graphics on some of the trailers looked a bit duff.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on February 10, 2022, 12:31:15 AMThat's great to hear, I did think of you when the Kirby game came up, because I know you didn't love the initial reveal. Has it grown on you at all? Its seems packed with ideas, like the best Nintendo games.

Yeah I forget if I mentioned on here but between the initial Kirby reveal and the new trailer they gave that thing the glow-up to end all glow-ups.

(Fact is it's Kirby, I would have loved it anyway)

Pink Gregory

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2022, 11:36:52 PMJUST DO MARIO KART 9/MARIO KART SWITCH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

MK8 Deluxe in box still sells a ridiculous amount each year, you can see why they wouldn't spend the development money just yet

Seeing as these are remastered old tracka as well it's nice that they're making an ultimate Mario Kart platform before they move on

Pretty sure I'll spend money on the Mario Kart DLC and Switch Sports at least - and may end up therefore needing to buy some additional controllers now one of my kids is potentially old enough to join in.

First money I'll have spent on Nintendo in an absolute age so I guess the Direct did its job.

brat-sampson

Never played Live a Live or Chrono Cross, so those are both exciting. Easily down for a new Xenoblade Chronicles. Triangle Strategy with a chonky free demo, etc. Considering the lack of Mario/Link in that, it was a pretty damn fine showing.

Deciding to port the Wii version of Force Unleashed because of the motion controls is pure trolling.

Over the moon at a new Mario Strikers and the new Mario Kart tracks. Still not subbing to the rip-off expansion though. Give it a few weeks after launch and CDKeys will have the DLC for ~£16.

colacentral

Kirby looks great, like a B-tier Mario Odyssey, based on how it looks like they're using the power ups.

I was saying fuck off to the screen at the reveal of the Mario Kart tracks, until they said six waves. Okay, fair enough then.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 10, 2022, 07:27:58 AMDeciding to port the Wii version of Force Unleashed because of the motion controls is pure trolling.

Over the moon at a new Mario Strikers and the new Mario Kart tracks. Still not subbing to the rip-off expansion though. Give it a few weeks after launch and CDKeys will have the DLC for ~£16.

The Wii and PS2 version of The Force Unleashed had a different developer than the 360/PS3 game. The former had different level design (which I think worked better) and had several more levels. The Wii version also had a dual mode, which was good and a lot of reviewers flagged as being a definite plus.

The motion controls worked brilliantly - the gesture system for force powers was fun, intuitive and players were rewarded for being good at using. As the game progressed, although you could grind your way through (as I did), knowing how to string combos together well made life a lot easier.

The 360 and PS3 version had much nicer graphics and an impressive rag doll physics (which was heavily hyped) together with cutscenes, but I found less satisfying to play. It was quite buggy (I remember trying it at at Game; my character jumped onto a large rock, sunk into it with the top half showing and although I could move within the rock, couldn't get out of it). The PC version was based on that and again, had bug issues. As I say, I preferred the Wii's level design.

The Wii version wasn't perfect (e.g. fixed camera) but was a lot of fun and rated it a lot. At the time, there's was a lot of opinion that it was the best version and to a degree, that's around now. Certainly, I knew quite a few people who found it a lot more enjoyable the other one.

Re: CD Keys - for a lot of Nintendo stuff, there isn't the kind of savings to be had now but we'll see with MK.

Fair fucks then, it just seemed like the cheapest solution to port a Wii game and talk about motion controls. I shall defer to your better judgement.

re: CDKeys, they've got the Animal Crossing DLC for about £6 off the RRP, so I think they are a safe bet for the Mario Kart one too.

oustropique

Thrilled about Switch Sports, Mario Kart 8 DLC, Klonoa (also on PC and other consoles, I believe), and Mario Strikers. Probably the most excited I've ever been after a Nintendo Direct.

I suspect we'll get a Mario Kart 9 on the next system, but this is pretty great in the meantime. In effect, 8 Deluxe is this generation's Mario Kart game because Nintendo's rationale is that hardly anyone played it on the Wii U. That's partially clear from the sales figures for 8D - 43 million and still selling? Why not release paid DLC until then? It's less effort for them and going to print money, even when it's priced less than a new full title.

I wish the Booster Pass wasn't being done in waves. They're also updating Switch Sports post-launch with Golf, which was in the original Wii title. I'd feel better about getting a complete package.

Having said that, putting the Booster Pass into the Online Expansion Pak is great value and has sold me on the latter, at least until the Booster Pass releases in full. I've been itching to get back into playing MK8D online, so it works out.

Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection and MLB: The Show look like they run terribly. I'm always astonished when footage as awful as that makes it in. The Switch absolutely needs a hardware refresh.

Kelvin

Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection was bizarre, that game is generations old. The Switch should easily run it, I have to assume the problem isn't just the aging Switch tech, but lazy publishers like Ubisoft not taking the time and effort to do a proper port. Compare it to No-Man's Sky's trailer that was running miles better and actually looked quite impressive overall.