Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Becoming one of those people that drink herbal infusions

Started by itsfredtitmus, March 25, 2022, 12:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

It's tough, isn't it, being one of those people? First you start pretending to your friends you only drink green tea because you've gone off PG tips and it isn't inherent smugness, and of course you're prone to spots because of dairy, but yet you still need that caffeine boost in the morning to get you on your way. Then you say you drink it to send you to sleep at night, THEN it's because it makes your skin a bit better and you're just so precious you can't do without, then you realise you're a bit of a wank and you've started using loose leaf instead because tesco green tea just don't cut it anymore, you've moved onto other rubbish and roy-bush! Which is brewed at actually 70 celsius, no hotter or colder otherwise you run the risk destroying those lovely herbs! Now Rooibos and Assam have completely replaced your cuppa and coffee in the morning and you're truly worried about kind of person you are. You begin to question your upbringing and if you're really the epithets your father always called you 

Peppermint I find is the most tasty, followed by Rooibos combined w/ Peppermint, truly a choice combo! green tea's the least palatable, tastes like flowery water dun it? Not the good kind of flower like camomile either, truly needs binning

Midas

peppermint is BEST

got hooked on jasmine a while ago. tastes like pond sediment, but in a good way.

not really a tetley man but someone gave me loads of fruit(arian) tetleys. can't really remember the individual flavours (think one contained "orange"). if i'm honest, i was necking them as a means of disposal, rather than drinking for pleasure; they all tasted a bit like radox muscle soak.

Pijlstaart

Had a vaunted racist incident in primary school, japanese lady in a big frilly costume came over for a cultural exchange and tried to do tea ceremonies in assembly to feed us her tea. Sainsburys green tea, we saw the packet, but all the same no-one was having it, and a kindly bigot teacher stood off to the side with a bucket so we could spit out that foreign muck. She didn't cry but she should have done. I was a blackcurrant man and knew what I was about, my ancestors drank blackcurrant before they went into battle, I knew, and so I wouldn't even try tea, purple tongue stuck out in defiance, a resolve I couldn't even dream of nowadays. Not all changes are for the better and I'm a weak man now, when I drink tea there's all this residue round my mouth and I lack the physical and moral strength to wash.

JesusAndYourBush

I've got various packs of different 'tea' from Aldi, lemon, camomile, some sort of blackcurranty type thing.
I didn't get them for any of the reasons given in the OP though, I got them because it's nice to have something different for a change rather than having the same thing every time.  I'm not keen on Aldi's green tea though because it has no flavour at all and tastes of fuck all unlike the green tea from the Chinese supermarket that has some flavour.

Glebe

I generally only drink one cup of normal caffeinated tea (occasionally coffee) a day, no later than the early evening if I can help it. Thank goodness for decaffeinated tea (and, indeed, coffee)!

AllisonSays

I like nettle tea and fennel tea, the floral ones give me the boke.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Glebe on March 25, 2022, 02:57:05 AMI generally only drink one cup of normal caffeinated tea (occasionally coffee) a day, no later than the early evening if I can help it. Thank goodness for decaffeinated tea (and, indeed, coffee)!

Yes this is what we do in this house.  One caffeinated to start the day off, then decaf it through the day.  There is a lot of tea drank in this house and on occasion fruit or herbal (my go to would be the ginger and turmeric).

beanheadmcginty

Can't imagine ever wanting to drink whispered shampoo.

dissolute ocelot

Not drunk it for years. There used to be a company that sold about 10 different flavours all of which were 90% hibiscus. There's also always someone who tells you you need to heat the water to exactly 85 C if you want it to be drinkable, despite it making no difference. I went through phases of green tea, peppermint tea, Assam, jasmine, yellow tea, but right now it's mostly orange Fanta.

Glebe

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 25, 2022, 09:22:53 AMYes this is what we do in this house.  One caffeinated to start the day off, then decaf it through the day.  There is a lot of tea drank in this house and on occasion fruit or herbal (my go to would be the ginger and turmeric).

For years I drank caffeinated tea all hours of the day and night. I'd have a nervous breakdown if I did that now.

touchingcloth

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 25, 2022, 12:23:19 AMIt's tough, isn't it, being one of those people? First you start pretending to your friends you only drink green tea because you've gone off PG tips

It isn't tough. Why pretend anything to your friends? If any so-called chums have a problem with it, just steep them in a vat or rooibos.

Bigfella

Have green tea every so often, otherwise have a mug of Tetleys tea with each meal.  Can't imagine not doing it.  I'll drink coffee if I'm with someone who prefers it - not too much, coffee overdose makes me pee all the time.

itsfredtitmus

went out of my comfort zone and bought dead posh Genmaicha green tea and my god is it good!
It's literally popcorn tea! Sweet and savoury! I can't stop huffing my cup the smell is gorgeous

I want to put the dried leaves in my pillow case so I can wake up to it every morning

bgmnts

I drink ginger teas and turmeric teas to try and help with my reflux as a supplement to medication.

I like herbal teas, we've been drinking them for god knows how long and they taste good, what is issue?

touchingcloth

We have a loquat/nêspera tree in the garden, and I've found that the fresh leaves make a lully cuppa

JaDanketies

I try to drink a mug of green tea every day for reputed health effects. I thought I only needed to have one cup but I've Googled it and apparently three is the magic number.

Then maybe some chamomile for bedtime.

I like liquorice tea and ginger tea but apparently they aren't good for your blood pressure, it even says so on the box, and I like whiskey and a joint more.  I don't wanna die with my arteries all filled with liquorice if I could die at the same age with them all filled with drugs instead.

itsfredtitmus

1-2 cups is good enough surely? I think having more than 3 would be bad for you, with all the tannins inhibiting nutritional availability. Funnily enough I had to stop drinking excessive amounts of black tea the other month because it was stopping anything I put into my guzzit including medication from being absorbed fully

camomile is GORGEOUS. Like it's just warm daisy water, how does it smell so good? It's surprisingly good it as a sleep aid too, no old mother Russia tale either! God knows how many times I've been saved by a cup when there's no nytol/weed to hand. I believe it binds very loosely to a benzodiazepine receptor, sort of like valerian root -> valium, but weaker. Even the slight ritual of brewing it then getting a faint whiff of its mother's bubble bath scent seems to put me in a state of relaxation. Hang on going to get a cup now... hamster cage smell yum

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2022, 05:09:11 PMI drink ginger teas and turmeric teas to try and help with my reflux as a supplement to medication.

I like herbal teas, we've been drinking them for god knows how long and they taste good, what is issue?
It's a bit poncy, no? Deffo something you keep hidden away from your mates. Never let them catch you with the tea infuser!

bgmnts

In regards to chamomile, is this loose leaf ground up stuff or teabags or what? Would love something to chill me out a bit and help me sleep.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 06, 2022, 05:58:58 PMIt's a bit poncy, no? Deffo something you keep hidden away from your mates. Never let them catch you with the tea infuser!

I havent mates in ages but i dont think i'd hide drinking herbal tea from them, anyone who has an issue with shit like that needs shooting from a cannon innit.

Crenners

Hiya mate the word is 'tisane', which is entirely separate to green tea.

Glad you enjoyed the genmaicha. Lovely stuff, Japanese peasant tea. The sencha they mix through the toasted rice is low tier because it's disguised by the popcorn flavour but it's one of my all-time favourites. Incredibly comforting aroma and taste. Watch yourself a rainy Sunday Ozu and drink some genmaicha and life doesn't get much better on a rainy Sunday.

If you want to evolve, time to get on the Dragon Well aka long jing cha. Nutty but brisk and bright, full of flavour but light and refreshing and peaceful. It's very gently euphoric. The Emperor quality shit costs thousands and is impossible to buy unless you're entertaining PRC heads but spend a tenner on 50g and you'll be having a real nice time.

If you want to go full Vince McMahon, get yourself some cooked pu erh and fall into the Earth's deepest, most comforting abyss. Brandy, red wine, soil and fungal funk. You can get some little tuo cha and brew em and brew em as they open up or just get a big fucking bing cha cake and break a chunk off and keep soaking and resoaking. My mouth is watering and I can feel the tendrils calling me from the damp mulch.

Get an Ingenuitea

Pranet

Sorry if it has already been mentioned- I have a history of missing that sort of thing- but I'm quite fond of Greek mountain tea.

Otherwise the occasional peppermint or camomile.

Green Tea made me angry for some reason. Quite liked white tea but not had it for a while.

I've been told those blends with fruit pieces are like drinking squash in terms of sugar content.

Tony Tony Tony

Whilst on a date in that London's glittering Covent Garden got approached by a lady giving out tiny samples of 'First Romance' black tea.

Described thus..

QuoteA colourful selection of delicious fruits and flower petals brought together with young tender tea buds and tips of this highly sought after grade of Ceylon black tea. A very special fruit- tea blend with a rich aromatic scent, reddish colour liquor, and a fruity mellow taste. The creamy sweet exotic flavours will delight your senses and evoke the excitement of a first romance. Laced with all-natural Strawberry, Orange and Rose

Shelled out nigh on twenty quids in an effort to impress the date, lets say the pack lasted longer than the relationship.

touchingcloth

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 06, 2022, 05:58:58 PMIt's a bit poncy, no? Deffo something you keep hidden away from your mates. Never let them catch you with the tea infuser!

My mates are all ponces.

Glebe

"Come on Gary get the times!"

"You're all poofs nowadays Daz!"

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2022, 06:00:23 PMIn regards to chamomile, is this loose leaf ground up stuff or teabags or what? Would love something to chill me out a bit and help me sleep.

I havent mates in ages but i dont think i'd hide drinking herbal tea from them, anyone who has an issue with shit like that needs shooting from a cannon innit.
funnily enough the teabag/pyramids of camomile I've tried tended to make me fall asleep a lot sooner vs the loose leaves I've had, went a lot more into a druggy sleepy daze than them but maybe that's just because I'm a lazy bastard and I'd rather just slap a teabag in a cup than etc etc etc
Do try it out: 3 bags of camomile in a cup, brewed for 10 minutes each, few a saucer on top of the cup to keep the warmth inith, drink all, savour the taste, etc, etc - 30 minutes later you're on cloud nine and hang on did I just take a valium? No, just camomile! Bloody love this stuff

itsfredtitmus

if you drink a lot of tea/herbal non-tea and your silverware ain't clear you are MISSING OUT!

JaDanketies

Put some lemongrass in my green tea today because I couldn't find lemon juice, which I also wanted to try for the first time. Can't really taste a massive difference, might use some more in future, but Google tells me it is again some ultra-healthy shit that will make my blood pressure so low that I might one day feel relaxation

itsfredtitmus

50g bag of rice crispy tea and the obscuro one  I can't remember the name of without looking at the packet that Crenners mentioned above arrived today, im like a voyeur at an orgy

ive missed this its the only tea ive properly fancied