Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,349
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amiga 500 mini (and general Amiga)

Started by Pink Gregory, March 31, 2022, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Sooo I'm getting Ms. Gregory the Amiga 500 mini for her birthday; she's a bit older than me so I'm fascinated to learn about this particular area of games that I was too young for (earliest memories are SNES/Mac demos) and, outside of retro enthusiast circles, isn't much discussed.

Fortunately the WHDload capability means I can load it up with the games she remembers and are left off the mini for licensing reasons etc (Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Lemmings, New Zealand Story etc), but outside of a few podcasts I know nothing about the Amiga library.

Any ideas for what I should be seeking out?

Ahead of what comes included, I've already downloaded:

Lemmings
Gods
James Pond : Robocod
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
New Zealand Story
Magic Pockets
Shufflepuck Cafe

Memorex MP3

Does it play Amiga classic Wipeout 2097?
Sensible World of Soccer maybe?
One of those LucasArts games with 1000 floppies to switch between?

Does the keyboard work on the mini or is it a purely aesthetic thing?

The Chaos Engine
Knights of The Sky
Fire and Ice
Speedball 2
Stunt Car Racer
Mega-Lo-Mania

Pink Gregory

It's aesthetic, but you can use a wireless keyboard; they did do a full size working-keyboard version of the C64 mini, but it came a bit later, so if there's enough demand apparently the same might happen for the A500 mini.

Famous Mortimer

Speedball 2, all day every day. Oh, and the Amiga version of Elite was great too.

One of the roguelikes, Angband, Zangband or Moria?

badaids

Wings
Wings
Wings
Wings
Wings
Wings
Wings
Wings

Mister Six

Base Jumpers was a lot of fun with four players. Uridium 2 was a good shooter, but I don't know if it'll seem a bit basic these days.

Pink Gregory

Speedball 2, Stunt Car Racer and the Chaos Engine are included, will definitely try the recommends

Neomod

Virus
Syndicate
Exile
Canon Fodder
Kick Off 2/Sensible Soccer
Prince of Persia
Sid Mead's Pirates
Robocop 2
Hunter

Small Man Big Horse

Another World was fun, and I was fond of the Cinemaware games (like Wings, mentioned above, but also Rocket Ranger and It Came From The Desert.

beanheadmcginty

Moonstone (the game Elden Ring wishes it could be)
Hired Guns
The Settlers
Syndicate
Gravity Force 2
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Dune
Dune 2
IK+
Dynablaster
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
The Clue!
Walker
Benefactor
Silly Putty
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

The Guppy

Zool. Imagine Sonic the Hedgehog, but with even more attitude.
Spoiler alert
and a worse game.
[close]

frajer

Ahh the Amiga. My entire childhood in an off-white plastic slab. Had the 500 and then 1200.

The Chaos Engine is an absolute banger. "Node activated" will be heavily in the mix when I cark it and my misspent youth flashes past my eyes.

Wolfchild. You can thank me (or curse me) later.

Mister Six

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 31, 2022, 08:49:14 PMSilly Putty

Aka Putty, due to a copyright claim by the Silly Putty toy brand. Might be able to get the unreleased sequel Putty Squad, too.

Walker is a great shout - I came back here to say that - as is Moonstone.

Christ, I wish I were in my parents' garage with all my old copies of Amiga Power now.

+1 for Another World, and likewise its spiritual successor, Flashback.

Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies were great.

Super Skidmarks

WizKid

Robocod (I know a lot of people diss it, but it's so charming and full of secrets!)

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: frajer on March 31, 2022, 09:56:26 PMAhh the Amiga. My entire childhood in an off-white plastic slab. Had the 500 and then 1200.

The Chaos Engine is an absolute banger. "Node activated" will be heavily in the mix when I cark it and my misspent youth flashes past my eyes.

But only once he says "Exit open, level complete" will you know that it's time to go.

Gurke and Hare

Car-vup
Defender of the Crown
Deuteros
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off-road Racer
Nuclear War
Player Manager
Railroad Tycoon
Supremacy

Didn't realise the mini was almost out, will definitely buy it. It won't be the same without a Quickshot II joystick though.

Gurke and Hare

What was the puzzle game called that was promoted with Quavers?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 01, 2022, 11:17:29 AMCar-vup
Defender of the Crown
Deuteros
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off-road Racer
Nuclear War
Player Manager
Railroad Tycoon
Supremacy

Didn't realise the mini was almost out, will definitely buy it. It won't be the same without a Quickshot II joystick though.

8th of April, I believe?

Consignia

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 01, 2022, 11:18:43 AMWhat was the puzzle game called that was promoted with Quavers?

There were two right? "Pushover" and "One Step Beyond".

Neomod

I guess if they are roms you won't have to suffer the continuous disk swapping on the Cinemaware titles.

As I recall Wings was the least painful having only two Reels (disks) 

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 31, 2022, 08:26:03 PMAnother World was fun
They actually made a sequel (without Eric Chahi) for the Mega-CD called 'Heart of the Alien', which picks up right after the first game finishes:

It's more of the same really, bit shit if I'm honest.

Super Obliteration is a cracking PD game, like Pang with big guns.

Beagle 2

Aaaaah WizKid, such a weird and unique game, I'd love to play that again.

I was considering getting one of these, I was such an ST kid that it would still feel a bit dirty, but I was secretly very envious of the Amiga set.

Dan Wood did a great review of the system, I think it would be especially interesting to get some of the demos and cover discs on there, and also some of the old compilations of cracked games from the time if they're still available anywhere. Most of the ST games I had were copies and I managed to find a lot them online, it's interesting reading the messages the crackers would leave for each other, sometimes they would talk about bands of the time they were into and stuff. All very evocative.

Beagle 2

I won a copy of Pushover in a bag of Quavers. Pissed me off a bit as I was desperately trying to eat my way to a Gameboy.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 01, 2022, 02:08:31 PMI won a copy of Pushover in a bag of Quavers. Pissed me off a bit as I was desperately trying to eat my way to a Gameboy.

Wasn't there a game based on Skips, or am I just getting my delicious crisps mixed up?

Beagle 2

Ah yes, FINGER STINK MAN what a classic

Consignia

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 01, 2022, 02:14:15 PMWasn't there a game based on Skips, or am I just getting my delicious crisps mixed up?

Why yes, yes there was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Biker

Consignia

What a genre we've uncovered: Computer Games based on B-tier crisps.

BeardFaceMan