Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amiga 500 mini (and general Amiga)

Started by Pink Gregory, March 31, 2022, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cannon Fodder
Monkey Island
Zool
Worms
Road Rash
Sensible Golf
Yo Joe

badaids

Yes Wings had just 2 disks. I suppose it was just the same 3 mini games and a shed load of text so easy to fit on.

Has no one mentioned Gods yet. Or Xenon 2, or Bloody Money that had the music that I swear was done by Vince Clarke.

I think I'm going to get one of these just so I can play rainbow islands, bubble bobble and pang with my daughter.

BeardFaceMan

Oooh I just remembered Super Stardust, I fucking loved that one. I've got an Amiga emulator but something like this is very appealing, would give me a good excuse top play it for a start.

Mister Six

I was going to mention that, but then I thought, "Well, it's basically just Asteroids". Maybe I shouldn't second-guess this stuff.

I used to salivate over the Turrican and Shadow of the Beast games back when I had a Spectrum, but never played the Amiga versions. Since they were sold largely on the whizzy graphics, they might not stand up today.

Ooh, here's one - Exile, a puzzly, exploration-based platformer in which you have to use "realistic" physics to explore an alien terrain and fix up your ship. Used to play it on my mate's C64; I imagine the Amiga one is even better.

Also, Creatures, a weird platform/puzzle game that combined cutesy characters with absurdly bloody violence.

Plus all the Codemasters platform puzzlers - Dizzy, Seymour, Slightly Magic (if that came out for Amiga) etc.

TheGingerAlien

Mercenary 2/3 (only the game no man's sky could have been)
Super Skidmarks
Supercars 2
James Pond Aquatic Games

OR

Stick on OctaMED and make some absolutely banging choons

AzureSky

Most of the classic games have already been mentioned, but I would add:

Pang & Super Twintris — great for 2 players, as is Lemmings
Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back
Apidya
First Samurai
Alien Breed

Still have a box full of these and all of the Amiga Powers, the greatest games magazine ever produced.

Jerzy Bondov

I had an ST so really the thought of posting in here should make me sick to my stomach but Road Raider/Motor Massacre was amazing, you drive around in a red car fucking shit up and also run around shooting zombies

badaids

Quote from: Dineen on April 01, 2022, 09:24:08 PMAmiga Powers, the greatest games magazine ever produced.

Amiga Power was good, but Zero was the best 16 bit magazine.

Famous Mortimer

Mister Six

FLIP! Your Sinclair is clearly the best.

ElTwopo

Datastorm is a pretty good Defender clone. It came with my Amiga when I bought it but didn't bother playing it for ages cos I thought it would be shit. It isn't shit.

Also, Shufflepuck Cafe. But only with a mouse.

Neomod

Quote from: Dineen on April 01, 2022, 09:24:08 PMMost of the classic games have already been mentioned, but I would add:

Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back

Yesss.

Viero_Berlotti

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 01, 2022, 12:48:26 PMThey actually made a sequel (without Eric Chahi) for the Mega-CD called 'Heart of the Alien', which picks up right after the first game finishes:

It's more of the same really, bit shit if I'm honest.

Huh, I'd never heard of that before now, but perhaps that's not too surprising given how poorly the Mega CD sold. Shame it never got a release on the CDTV though as I had one of those fucking shitty monstrosities and then it might not have been a complete waste of time.

Mister Six

Sonny_Jim

It's quite clever in that:
Spoiler alert
You get to see what your alien mate got up to whilst you were separated in the first game
[close]
Still the same gameplay, which is basically memorise a sequence of moves.

Rev+

Raise:  Your Spectrum was better than both.

Mister Six

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Neomod on April 01, 2022, 11:02:55 PMYesss.

Memory is hazy, but I think I remember preferring Eye of The Beholder & Black Crypt back in the day.

I've still got my A1200 that I pimped out, wonder if it still works?

badaids

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 03, 2022, 07:42:57 AMMemory is hazy, but I think I remember preferring Eye of The Beholder & Black Crypt back in the day.

I've still got my A1200 that I pimped out, wonder if it still works?

Beholder was incredible and I still play it now, however Dungeon Master and to a lesser extent Black Crypt felt far less linear and wilder, like you were much freer to wander where you wanted, way beyond your skill level. Mind you, not many things creepier than the spider level in Beholder one.

Did anyone else play Bane of Cosmic Forge?

seepage

Yes, Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge was great fun. Not sure what Queequeg and rutabagas was all about though, but still.

seepage

I played most of the SSI wargames/RPGs:

Battles of Napoleon/Gettysburg: The Turning Point/Rebel Charge at Chickamauga      
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday   
Conflict: Korea the First Year 1950-51 / Conflict: Middle East   
Dark Queen of Krynn/Death Knights of Krynn/Champions of Krynn/Dragons of Flame   
Demon's Winter   
DragonStrike   
Eye of the Beholder I & II   
Gateway to the Savage Frontier   
Heroes of the Lance   
Hillsfar
Kampfgruppe   
No Greater Glory: The American Civil War   
Overrun!      
Phantasie I-III
Pool of Radiance/Pools of Darkness/Secret of the Silver Blades/Curse of the Azure Bonds/Treasures of the Savage Frontier   
Questron I & II   
Red Lightning   
Renegade Legion: Interceptor   
Roadwar 2000/Roadwar Europa   
Second Front: Germany Turns East   
Stellar Crusade   
Storm Across Europe/Typhoon of Steel   
Sword of Aragon      

Second Front and Stellar Crusade were far too complicated and virtually impossible to play.
I think I got the most fun from Roadwar [you develop a Mad Max-ish clan] and Sword of Aragon.

Also enjoyed Warlords and Reach for the Stars by SSG a lot.    

badaids

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 01, 2022, 09:46:56 PMZzap! 64 or GTFO

ZZap was great, I wasn't neglecting it.  It was easily my favorite magazine until Zero came along.  It was like a savage computer games version of Viz but with slick clean 90s design.  I also think it must have been an influence an Charlie Brooker if he didn't write for it he was aping the writing style in there.

Pink Gregory

You're all making me feel like a tiny baby with my Dreamcast-release issue of CVG and my Playstation Max magazine

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 03, 2022, 07:42:57 AMI've still got my A1200 that I pimped out, wonder if it still works?

Pimped out how?

I did the mod to my A500 that would allow me to have 1MB of chip ram. No idea if it made any appreciable difference to anything I ever did.

Sonny_Jim

You can buy all sorts of crazy cards to go in the accelerator slot on a A1200, piece of cake to fit a 2.5" HDD IIRC as well.  Bit of WHDLoad, luvvly.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: badaids on April 03, 2022, 07:26:40 PMZZap was great, I wasn't neglecting it.  It was easily my favorite magazine until Zero came along.  It was like a savage computer games version of Viz but with slick clean 90s design.  I also think it must have been an influence an Charlie Brooker if he didn't write for it he was aping the writing style in there.
Glad to hear it :)

I have a handful of my old Zzap!s, and a small box of their cassettes too. Oh, and that sort of spin-off LM magazine, which I got the full run of when I bought a box of 2000AD related things, just thrown in there as a freebie.

TheGingerAlien

Have you all seen how much A1200s (and all other Amigas for that matter) are going for on ebay these days?  Used to get them for £10 a pop down the car boot. The value of them has gone crazy.