Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amiga 500 mini (and general Amiga)

Started by Pink Gregory, March 31, 2022, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I presume it's got some souped up processor inside it and not the crappy 7mhz thing the A500 had? Playing 3d games like Stunt Car Racer at about 15fps wasn't much fun.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 04, 2022, 05:29:46 PMI presume it's got some souped up processor inside it and not the crappy 7mhz thing the A500 had? Playing 3d games like Stunt Car Racer at about 15fps wasn't much fun.
It'll probably have some low-end ARM chip in it like the C64 Mini, probably overkill for what processing power the games need but plenty of headroom for authentic emulation. The A500 Mini does include a few games which were AGA/A1200 exclusives such as Worms: The Director's Cut and Alien Breed 3D, so it's certainly got to be more powerful than the actual A500 was. Hopefully not too much though, Alien Breed 3D wouldn't be the same with a smooth framerate and graphics which don't look like an explosion in a Lego warehouse.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 31, 2022, 05:40:21 PMSooo I'm getting Ms. Gregory the Amiga 500 mini for her birthday; she's a bit older than me so I'm fascinated to learn about this particular area of games that I was too young for (earliest memories are SNES/Mac demos) and, outside of retro enthusiast circles, isn't much discussed.

Good god my man is your wife a paedoph??

Beagle 2

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 04, 2022, 05:29:46 PMI presume it's got some souped up processor inside it and not the crappy 7mhz thing the A500 had? Playing 3d games like Stunt Car Racer at about 15fps wasn't much fun.

Ah, it was though. It's one of my favourite games and I used to think it was ripe for a proper remake, but to get that same sense of careful negotiation and tightrope walking trepidation it would have to run at the same speed, which would look ridiculous at 60fps.   

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 05, 2022, 10:36:01 PMAh, it was though. It's one of my favourite games and I used to think it was ripe for a proper remake, but to get that same sense of careful negotiation and tightrope walking trepidation it would have to run at the same speed, which would look ridiculous at 60fps.   

Yeah, knights of the sky looked like gash and ran at like 5fps at times.

It all added to the hypnotic quality of the thing. There's something about those abstract low poly's and crawling framerates that pull you in deeper and get your imagination dancing.

Like you say, some souped up version running at 60fps with detailed graphics would be totally missing the point of what made those games so engaging to begin with.

Those restrictions, the technical limitations of the systems that the artists were working with, sometimes those happy accidents are doing way heavier lifting than people realise.

Pink Gregory

Cuntbeaks

Dungeon Master was incredible, but i played it on the ST.

Sensible Soccer is the best football sim of all time. Can't stand the modern, 200+ moves, 120fps, photorealistic shit you get today.

Superfrog was also a great platformer.

The Alien Breed games were good, but Chaos Engine was the best of that genre.

Johnny Textface

madhair60

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on April 04, 2022, 05:28:37 PMHave you all seen how much A1200s (and all other Amigas for that matter) are going for on ebay these days?  Used to get them for £10 a pop down the car boot. The value of them has gone crazy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203893325328

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 10, 2022, 12:50:00 PMhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203893325328

Holy sheep shit batman, that's a pricey one. I can't even find a knackered 1200 for less than £300. It feels like I've missed some memo about the rarity of the machine - were there very limited production numbers or something?

Sonny_Jim

Not hugely, but as pointed out if you want to play 'real' Amiga games it's the one to get.  It's pretty easy to mod a A1200 with a WHDLoad setup, where you bin all the floppies and run everything off an internal HDD and boot games via Workbench.

The tower ones are generally more pricey as they are rarer.  Internally I don't think there's a heck of a lot of difference (minus the blingy SCSI and accelerator cards that one has).

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 10, 2022, 02:21:13 PMNot hugely, but as pointed out if you want to play 'real' Amiga games it's the one to get.  It's pretty easy to mod a A1200 with a WHDLoad setup, where you bin all the floppies and run everything off an internal HDD and boot games via Workbench.

The tower ones are generally more pricey as they are rarer.  Internally I don't think there's a heck of a lot of difference (minus the blingy SCSI and accelerator cards that one has).

Yeah I was doing that ten years ago. Sold all my stuff for £50. Even the power supply is worth £100 now. Fucksticks.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If Amigas are so expensive, why is my ZX81 that's in the garage somewhere worth fuck all?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 10, 2022, 04:15:07 PMIf Amigas are so expensive, why is my ZX81 that's in the garage somewhere worth fuck all?

I think they're still undervalued to be honest, looking at prices across the board. Hang onto it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't even know if it works tbh, it probably hasn't been turned on since about 1983. Got the printer with it as well. I'll keep it as a curio for the grandkids to marvel at.

Cold Meat Platter

How are Atari STs doing? A mate gave me one years ago with a hi-res monochrome monitor.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 10, 2022, 06:15:11 PMHow are Atari STs doing? A mate gave me one years ago with a hi-res monochrome monitor.

Not quite keeping up with the amiga prices, but looks to be £150+ depending on condition. Still probably some bargains to be had with the ST. Did you get cubase with it? I'm guessing from the monochrome monitor that it was used for musical things.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on April 10, 2022, 08:22:59 PMNot quite keeping up with the amiga prices, but looks to be £150+ depending on condition. Still probably some bargains to be had with the ST. Did you get cubase with it? I'm guessing from the monochrome monitor that it was used for musical things.

Yeah I think so. Got another non-working one as well. Never even plugged them in if I'm honest. In the attic for about 20 years.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2022, 10:36:09 PM+1 for Another World, and likewise its spiritual successor, Flashback.

I have a fond memory of playing Flashback at Easter (either 1993 or 1994), whilst listening to Chris Morris returning to GLR to do some daytime stints over the 4 day weekend.

I think it must've been 1993 because I only had a vague idea of who Chris Morris was so it was pre TDT but post 'Select Flexidisc'.

+1 for the Sensible Soccer series.

Gurke and Hare

I've just downloaded Aminimiga which is pretty much every Amiga game and a load of other stuff (demos, DPaint IV, a poor quality mp3 of Bohemian Rhapsody for some reason) and a ready made Workbench environment to load them from that you can just stick on a USB stick. Good stuff.

madhair60

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 25, 2022, 03:45:05 PMI've just downloaded Aminimiga which is pretty much every Amiga game and a load of other stuff (demos, DPaint IV, a poor quality mp3 of Bohemian Rhapsody for some reason) and a ready made Workbench environment to load them from that you can just stick on a USB stick. Good stuff.

Nice and you just stick this into the Mini and it'll work? That's fucking cool.

Gurke and Hare

Yes, the USB stick appears in the game carousel and before you know it you too can be playing Saint and Greavsie.

madhair60

didn't work, does my memstick look correct? should i format it and do it over?