Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2022, 06:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Football Thread 2021/22 Part 2 - Matt Le Tosser, Dejan Moron and Thickie Lambert

Started by JamesTC, April 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts


shoulders

Quote""So we are where we are. We've got the embarrassment now of playing behind closed doors at home.

"Normally when you watch those things having happened abroad we're all grandstanding about how it's someone else's problem and how this country should be dealt with - and now it's us. That's not a good optic for our country."

Nice one Gareth.

Return to form after the moral abdication re: Qatar.

Kankurette

Wishful thinking on my part, I know. I just don't get why anyone would think 'well, this famous Premier League footballer uploaded himself booting a cat around like a cunt and got loads of backlash for it, maybe I should do that as well, now where did I put the Dreamies?'

Joe Qunt

Very amusing article from the very amusing Ian Macintosh.

https://theathletic.com/3322346/2022/05/24/carlo-ancelotti-star-trek/

My favourite comment:

QuoteTony Pulis's Stoke as the crew of the USS Equinox? They've gone on the same journey as other vessels, but my god, the horrors they've deployed to get to where they're going...

JamesTC

Man City - Borg Cube
United - Ferengi Starship
Everton - Vidiian Warship

Mulled over suggesting Voyages for either Spurs or Arsenal. Far away from where they need to be or constantly close to successfully completing their mission but falling at the last hurdle.

Poobum

Everton makes me think more of a Pakled ship, mainly because of Duncan Ferguson.

Kankurette

Man City's women's team are the Borg.

I'm not a Trekkie, but I used to be into Fairy Tail and the titular guild are the Liverpool of guilds, although Klopp is more like Natsu than Makarov (Mo Salah is Lucy and Jordan Henderson is Erza). Sabertooth are Man City, Raven Tail are Man United, Lamia Scale are Arsenal and Mermaid Heel are Spurs (Kagura is their Harry Kane). Quattro Cerberus can be, IDK, Burnley or something.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2022, 01:36:06 PMMan City - Borg Cube
United - Ferengi Starship
Everton - Vidiian Warship

Mulled over suggesting Voyages for either Spurs or Arsenal. Far away from where they need to be or constantly close to successfully completing their mission but falling at the last hurdle.

Was going to suggest Romulan Warbird for Tottenham.

bgmnts

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-wales-footballer-david-cotterill-24061373

Fucksake.

I will give Cotterill a very generous interpretation of some of his drivel by saying that it is arguably true a lot of these events are part of a series of events and decisions that interlink, with the desired goal of maintaining power for the elite. You could say this is a conspiracy or a collection of conspiracies.

But fucksake mun, fucking staged. Divstick.

shoulders

I see Tirana hosted the final. Bonkers city, can recommend..

Wasn't a major European trophy regardless of the BBC and others spouting that unchallenged.


.. Ah, reinforced by no-one saying a fucking thing about it while the game was on.

shoulders

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 09:13:07 PMhttps://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-wales-footballer-david-cotterill-24061373

Fucksake.

I will give Cotterill a very generous interpretation of some of his drivel by saying that it is arguably true a lot of these events are part of a series of events and decisions that interlink, with the desired goal of maintaining power for the elite. You could say this is a conspiracy or a collection of conspiracies.

But fucksake mun, fucking staged. Divstick.

He may as well have walked through the town square in his underpants with an 'I AM EDUCATIONALLY SUBNORMAL' sign hung around him.

JamesTC

Quote from: shoulders on May 25, 2022, 10:13:49 PMI see Tirana hosted the final. Bonkers city, can recommend..

Wasn't a major European trophy regardless of the BBC and others spouting that unchallenged.


.. Ah, reinforced by no-one saying a fucking thing about it while the game was on.

I watched the second half if that helps.

In fairness, I think the changes in Europe have been great. The Conference League has been a fun addition and it has lead to an improvement in the Europa too. So overall it has improved one competition and given more teams an opportunity to participate by introducing another. Shame it will only last two more years before they reformat it all again.

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 09:13:07 PMhttps://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-wales-footballer-david-cotterill-24061373

Fucksake.

I will give Cotterill a very generous interpretation of some of his drivel by saying that it is arguably true a lot of these events are part of a series of events and decisions that interlink, with the desired goal of maintaining power for the elite. You could say this is a conspiracy or a collection of conspiracies.

But fucksake mun, fucking staged. Divstick.
I knew it was going to be Le Tissier-level shit. For fuck's sake. Why do people think it's OK to say shit like that? Whose interest does it serve to massacre children? Guns aren't going away in the USA any time soon, if that's what he thinks. The NRA lobby is very powerful, and if Sandy Hook didn't change gun laws, I don't know what will. He wouldn't have the balls to say that to the families of the people who died.

shoulders


Gambrinus

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2022, 09:13:07 PMhttps://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-wales-footballer-david-cotterill-24061373

Fucksake.

I will give Cotterill a very generous interpretation of some of his drivel by saying that it is arguably true a lot of these events are part of a series of events and decisions that interlink, with the desired goal of maintaining power for the elite. You could say this is a conspiracy or a collection of conspiracies.

But fucksake mun, fucking staged. Divstick.

Football peaked with the Robson-Kanu turn against Belgium and should have been shut down after that.

I'm disappointed Cotterill was part of that now.  What a dickhead.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: shoulders on May 25, 2022, 10:13:49 PMI see Tirana hosted the final. Bonkers city, can recommend..

Wasn't a major European trophy regardless of the BBC and others spouting that unchallenged.


.. Ah, reinforced by no-one saying a fucking thing about it while the game was on.

I wanna know more about Tirana, what was it like? Always fancied going for some reason. Do many people there speak Italian as a second language? Why is it cool?

buttgammon

Absolute idiocy from Cotterill. Why the fuck do British people even bother diving into this American crap?

Quote from: Gambrinus on May 26, 2022, 08:14:45 AMFootball peaked with the Robson-Kanu turn against Belgium and should have been shut down after that.

I'm disappointed Cotterill was part of that now.  What a dickhead.

Agreed, the Belgium game was one of the best evenings of my life and someone with more self-control than me would have walked away and never watched another football match ever again (except the semi-final of course).

shoulders

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 26, 2022, 08:53:25 AMI wanna know more about Tirana, what was it like? Always fancied going for some reason. Do many people there speak Italian as a second language? Why is it cool?

It was more common for German and English from what I could see but they are very multilingual.

Tirana, well, there's a huge young population, a lot of energy, vibrant while at the same time some ridiculous over-compensating deep dives into capitalist consumerism and excess that is funny to see and be around. Men are short and balding, while women strikingly beautiful. My sort of balance. The Blloku area that was a gated community for the socialist elite is now the buzzing, happening area. It has Komiteti which is one of the best bars in Europe, and Kaon which has a mature tree sprouting through the roof of what is otherwise an old mans pub with cheapo paper tablecloths. The bunkers are worth seeing and there's a great cable car (Austrian built) if you can handle heights. It's a ramshackle, occasionally infuriating mess of corruption and traffic. Public and intercity transport is on an almost nightmarish difficulty level that even thorough research can't steel you for.

bgmnts

Was going to volunteer at an animal sanctuary in Albania but a lot of my reading on the place made me think it wasnt all that safe. Pretty sure on the government website they said that the north of albania bordering kosovo still has landmines scattered about or some shit.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: shoulders on May 26, 2022, 10:30:48 AMIt was more common for German and English from what I could see but they are very multilingual.

Tirana, well, there's a huge young population, a lot of energy, vibrant while at the same time some ridiculous over-compensating deep dives into capitalist consumerism and excess that is funny to see and be around. Men are short and balding, while women strikingly beautiful. My sort of balance. The Blloku area that was a gated community for the socialist elite is now the buzzing, happening area. It has Komiteti which is one of the best bars in Europe, and Kaon which has a mature tree sprouting through the roof of what is otherwise an old mans pub with cheapo paper tablecloths. The bunkers are worth seeing and there's a great cable car (Austrian built) if you can handle heights. It's a ramshackle, occasionally infuriating mess of corruption and traffic. Public and intercity transport is on an almost nightmarish difficulty level that even thorough research can't steel you for.

Thanks S. Piqued my interest even more. I'm gonna go.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2022, 10:21:01 PMI watched the second half if that helps.

In fairness, I think the changes in Europe have been great. The Conference League has been a fun addition and it has lead to an improvement in the Europa too. So overall it has improved one competition and given more teams an opportunity to participate by introducing another. Shame it will only last two more years before they reformat it all again.

Decent game I thought, Mourinho um... Mourinho'd the f*** out of it mind!

I also think the Conference League has been a really good idea and much needed (and a rather nice trophy as well). The problem when the Cup Winners Cup lost its lustre and got amalgamated into the then UEFA Cup/Europa League is that it completely bloated that tournament, almost as if UEFA forgot there was a lot more countries in Europe as its members than there used to be. It's much better for nations lower down the European football food chain to at least have the potential to play more meaningful games in Europe, rather than a qualifying two-leg game against someone of the same stature and then being overmatched and twunted in the next. I think the Nations League internationally has been good as well, even though its structure is basically a facsimile of the old Davis Cup format.

Poobum

Love the Conference League, it gave us Bodo/Glimt battering Roma, Lincoln Red Imps not embarrassing themselves, and a third thing I'm sure.

shoulders

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 26, 2022, 12:05:47 PMThanks S. Piqued my interest even more. I'm gonna go.

Would recommend, the flipside, the ottoman towns Berat and Gjirokaster are great to visit too.

I think you can get to Tirana on WizzAir from Luton and Liverpool.

Blinder Data

I like the idea of UEFA Conference League but its later stages had ties that wouldn't look out of place in the Europa League, and it would be much better if it was won/contested by lower-placed teams without noticeable recent achievements in Europe (e.g. Celtic).

shoulders

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 26, 2022, 03:35:53 PMI like the idea of UEFA Conference League but its later stages had ties that wouldn't look out of place in the Europa League, and it would be much better if it was won/contested by lower-placed teams without noticeable recent achievements in Europe (e.g. Celtic).

Then it would be a virtual invitation event and of no value or standing. It barely has any as it is.

If this was based on merit of some sort, for instance domestic cup winners(sounding familiar...) that sort of earns it a pretext to exist.

For shits and giggles you could throw in winners of minor league trophies like the Paint Trophy or whatever the fuck its called now too

JamesTC

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 26, 2022, 03:35:53 PMI like the idea of UEFA Conference League but its later stages had ties that wouldn't look out of place in the Europa League, and it would be much better if it was won/contested by lower-placed teams without noticeable recent achievements in Europe (e.g. Celtic).

I don't really think there is much to do there. The best teams, or rather the best funded teams, often proper. At least there is the chance. And a greater chance with an extra competition.

I think the game that really made the competition for me was Leicester's game away to Randers. Just the chance for their team to play on the big stage against a big English side meant, even when 3-0 down, the crowd created an amazing atmosphere.

TrenterPercenter

Villa are doing well at getting their signings done without getting into bidding wars.  Not sure how they are doing it but we quietly signed Diego Carlos yesterday from Sevilla for £26m, this is 24 hrs after Sevilla demanded £45m for Newcastles enquiry.

How good he is? I'm not sure but he's got the physique of a tank and looks decent enough, might be a bit of brute however and penalty liability.  Still I think it is good business loads of Villa get on Ming's and Konsa's back but they haven't had a decent DM in front of them ever.

Also look at the state of these two, image being a striker and having to go up against these.



It's interesting though how Villa now have 3 Brazilian internationals and 2 Argentinian internationals no great shakes for many clubs but this is new territory for the Villa.

Kankurette


jobotic

It's a football match not a sexy stomach competition!





a chant I tried to get going - failed

Kankurette

Mings certainly doesn't live up to his name, the handsome devil.