Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Accused of transphobia? I mean saying "changing your body parts doesn't make you a woman" is pretty literal transphobia. There isn't really much room for manoeuvre

Paul Calf

You could be charitable and say "You could change your 'body parts' and still identify as the gender you started at and what matters is the self-identification," but I don't think that's what she means.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Pimhole on July 05, 2022, 02:45:26 PMWait a minute. They're talking a load of GC jargon and in-jokes so it's hard to be sure... but does this imply that JKR has claimed to be "33% lesbian"? Presumably whilst pissed at their alchies' lunch?

And "political lesbian" Bindel is fine with that, but they all constantly accuse others (e.g. intersex or asexual) of trying to hop on the trendy bandwagon of Q+?

The fucking hypocrisy.

It was Bindel's remark at the Rowling Lunch. She authoritatively declared that JK Rowling was only 66% straight.

The much "silenced" Bindel wrote about it for Unherd:

QuoteSome of the intensity of this backlash is no doubt driven by jealousy — not just of us having lunch with the stupendous Rowling, but of how much we made each other laugh. Contrary to prejudicial stereotypes about feminists, there is no shortage of funny women in our midst. As can be seen in the countless photos taken at the lunch, we teased each other in the most irreverent way, such as deciding that Rowling was only 66% straight. I mean, come on: very few heterosexual feminists prioritise the bullying and debasement of lesbians by trans activists and other misogynists as she does.

When the photos were tweeted, to great merriment, I suddenly found myself accused of being some type of sexual predator, out to convert our Queen. In response, Rowling wrote: "Appalled to learn that @bindelj sexually harassed me by (checks notes) making me laugh while lunching. I've naturally consulted lawyers, but they say my case is likely to fail at trial due to a legal loophole known as 'this is bullshit'. Devastated. Please send more fake concern."

Paul Calf

Dr Rock

QuoteContrary to prejudicial stereotypes about feminists, there is no shortage of funny women in our midst.

Did you leave out the funny bits Julie?

Shaxberd

All that guff about defending lesbians makes a bit more sense if the prime feature of lesbianness is agreeing with Julie Bindel, rather than anything to do with one's attraction to women.

Stigdu

I've never heard of this woman before, so I just went and had a read of Wikipedia. It's a shame she has a dislike of transgender people, as she appears to have originally done a lot of good work for abused women and has been fighting in their corner.

Ferris

The "having lunch with rich people and laughing our heads off" is reminiscent of the Partridge autobiography isn't it? There's a section about how he'd love to join the chipping norton set which I think is basically paraphrasing Julie's quote there.

Dr Rock

QuoteSome of the intensity of this backlash is no doubt driven by jealousy — not just of us having lunch with the stupendous Rowling, but of how much we made each other laugh

QuoteSome of the intensity of this backlash is no doubt driven by jealousynot just of us having lunch with the stupendous Rowling, but of how much we made each other laugh

So jealous... people making each other laugh... it's true, that's the main source of my ire, not what these two do and say when they're not guffawing at each others epic banter.

frajer

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 05, 2022, 03:25:15 PM"The stupendous Rowling"

Fucking hell.

The way they talk about each other is fucking ridiculous. Almost like they know 99% of the country isn't even aware their squalid little movement exists and they're overcompensating.

The underwhelming Moley.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 05, 2022, 01:52:44 PMLove how she's the leader because she has the most money.
Also their living insurance policy, the terf pantheon need never worry about struggling crowdfunders so long as JoJo Babbitt is on the scene. She's the Frank Reynolds of It's Always Sunny in Terf Island.

Kankurette

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 05, 2022, 04:06:44 PMAll that guff about defending lesbians makes a bit more sense if the prime feature of lesbianness is agreeing with Julie Bindel, rather than anything to do with one's attraction to women.

I wonder what percentage lesbian Michael Winner was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5S2Dio2_Y

Fry

Considering this weird moral panic over Trans people has only really gathered steam in the last 3-4 years, I'm curious what most anti-trans activists say when you ask why cis and trans women were able to coexist for decades with each other without this immense, pressing danger ever being an issue before now.

For the record, I'm not saying Transphobia didn't exist before 2019, but while I was growing up it was always more of a "point and laugh" sort of mean-spiritedness rather than a paranoid mean-spiritedness that implied being trans is a simultaneously a virus that can infect your children and also something people just made up just so they could hear and smell ladies shit.

Mister Six

frajer

phantom_power

Quote from: Fry on July 06, 2022, 11:44:32 AMConsidering this weird moral panic over Trans people has only really gathered steam in the last 3-4 years, I'm curious what most anti-trans activists say when you ask why cis and trans women were able to coexist for decades with each other without this immense, pressing danger ever being an issue before now.

For the record, I'm not saying Transphobia didn't exist before 2019, but while I was growing up it was always more of a "point and laugh" sort of mean-spiritedness rather than a paranoid mean-spiritedness that implied being trans is a simultaneously a virus that can infect your children and also something people just made up just so they could hear and smell ladies shit.

It is odd. It isn't like there has been some catalysing incident. Despite what they believe, there hasn't been a mass take over of Women's sports by trans athletes, or instances of trans women (or men pretending to be trans women) attacking people in toilets, or changing rooms, or female prisons. It seems entirely due to a change in the law that will not affect any of those things but has been deliberately misinterpreted by some high profile transphobes to poison people's minds

Mister Six

The differences are:

* Rich right wing cunts have realised it's a handy wedge issue to start to roll back LGBTQ+ legislation and started funding all these bitter husks;

* Grifters realised it's an opportunity to make cash for not doing much;

* Media scum have latched onto it as a polarising scare that they think can drive sales/online engagement;

* Politicians, both right-wing and liberal, have identified it as another useful culture war brouhaha that they can play up to distract from general corruption/avoid having to do any real work;

* Elderly weirdos who are emotionally vulnerable, lonely or embittered and hateful have formed/found a community on social media that makes them feel important, useful and wanted, and provides a nice shot of endorphins every time they say something awful on social media;

* The younger generations (Gen Z/millennials) have become vocally supportive of trans people and other gender nonconforming folk, bringing this to the attention of your bog-standard "laugh, point, walk on" transphobes and people who don't think about it much, who are then drawn to either side depending on how much of a cunt they are.

The last two are the core of this, locked in an eternal war of shitposting, which attracts all the other arseholes, who then break the seal and bring it out of social media and into real-world media and politics.

Going back a little further, trans people were brought into mainstream US attention by Orange is the New Black and Transparent, both of which launched around 2013. I was watching US newsreaders shoot down attempts by the Christian right to bring up the bathroom bullshit on American telly around 2015/16.

The anti- lot didn't gain traction then, but the supportive crowd grew substantially online around that point, and the opposition grew alongside them, seemingly hitting critical mass in the UK this past couple of years, and in the US this past year as right wing governors realised it could be a winner.

Of course, pro-trans people and #TeamIDontCare outnumber the cunts, but sadly it's the wrinklies that are in power and the media for now, and they have a louder voice.

Dr Rock

Oh noes, now terfs can't got to Wagamama

QuoteFrom their fb:
"pride heralds a time where we can stop. commemorate lgbtqia+ history and take a moment to reflect in awe at the positive progress made by inspirational thought-leaders + brave changemakers. it's a time to celebrate what it means to be truly proud of who you are, who you love + everything that makes you unique. proud beyond pride is about giving our platforms over to lgbtqia+ voices who live loudly, champion inclusivity + are a force for positive change
-
this pride season, we're proud to be partnering with celebrated illustrator josh mckenna. we commissioned josh to express what pride means to him, through his characteristically tongue-in-cheek, bold, diverse and all-inclusive (as it should be in 2022) style
-
we're also excited to be partnering with the inspirational charity mermaids. mermaids has been supporting transgender, non binary and gender diverse young people and their families since 1995. nationwide, we will be donating 25p of every power juice sold to mermaids. we're also donating 20% of profits of our bespoke menu in wagamama old street, wagamama manchester st peters and wagamama pourtsmouth
-
these funds will go towards their role in empowering thousands of transgender, nonbinary and gender diverse people and supporting their mission to educate and inform wider society on gender identity"

Quote from: mad terfI use wagamama a lot. It is my go to restaurant when I am someplace new.

I have just tried to write a complaint, as I felt I should let them know why I no longer visit. And to suggest the Bayswater Support Group as an alternative. (I know from a paediatrician friend that an alternative form of parental support to Mermaids that allows for watchful waiting is badly needed.)

However their system rejected both my emails, saying they were not valid, (one outlook, one gmail) so the complaint could not go through. Have I been blocked? Do Wagamama block GC people?

phantom_power

The sense of entitlement with these twats. And is "watchful waiting" a euphemism for "do nothing and hope it goes away regardless of the mental distress it might cause"?

shoulders

QuoteHave I been blocked? Do Wagamama block GC people?

Yeah, they're in league with Cambridge Analytica you embolism.

canadagoose

Quote from: phantom_power on July 09, 2022, 10:06:10 AMThe sense of entitlement with these twats. And is "watchful waiting" a euphemism for "do nothing and hope it goes away regardless of the mental distress it might cause"?
I'd imagine so. Also since when has the Bayswater Support Group been an alternative to Wagamama?

buttgammon

Quote from: canadagoose on July 09, 2022, 10:59:19 AMI'd imagine so. Also since when has the Bayswater Support Group been an alternative to Wagamama?

I hear the Bayswater Support Group make a mean yakisoba.

Dr Rock

The Bayswater Support Group's cooking style is to look at all the ingredients, then do nothing.

imitationleather

The thought of someone going to Wagamama whenever they're somewhere they haven't been to before has really depressed me.

Paul Calf

Quote from: buttgammon on July 09, 2022, 11:32:02 AMI hear the Bayswater Support Group make a mean yakisoba.

Their tempura batter is a bit soggy though.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: imitationleather on July 09, 2022, 12:25:49 PMThe thought of someone going to Wagamama whenever they're somewhere they haven't been to before has really depressed me.

Yea that sums them up a treat eh