Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfking

Quote'My target wasn't trans folk, but trans activist ideology. I've always confronted dogma that oppresses people and limits freedom of expression.'

Yeah, alright Gervais...

I guess that's why you've made lots of jokes about TERFs as well, right? Oh what's that? No, you only make jokes about the people who are marginalised and attacked. Got it.

phes

Ricky Gervais genius Where Am Dat Watty Melon routine superbly punctures liberal multicultural ideology

shoulders

"I think what you'll find he was doing there Peter was 'ironising'".

boki

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on May 26, 2022, 11:39:02 AMI prefer the Thin Lizzy recording of Pronouns in the Bio to the later Metallica version.

"Woke fall the BEARD-yo"

boki

Quote from: bgmnts on May 26, 2022, 11:48:57 AMGuilty as charged
Damaging trans rights
But Twitter is controlling meeeee
Tweet to dead air,
Stuck in this computer chair,
There's so much going on, you seeee

WHO MADE YOU God to say,
"I'll take your tick of bluuuuueee"?

Flash before my eyes,
Tons of fucking lieeees

somersetchris

Quote from: canadagoose on May 26, 2022, 04:21:28 PM... Does he think that's actually Acaster?

Wait until he finds out that Acaster left social media voluntarily and wrote a book about how being terminally online is bad for you

phantom_power

I think that is an interesting quote from Ince, and quite sympathetic to Gervais. I don't think Gervais is a bigot. I think he is a lazy, edgy twat who recycles the same "does it offend you, yeah?" jokes. What Ince captures quite perceptively is that the "just a joke" defence doesn't work when right wing people will use your words in memes and internet comments to further their bigoted agenda. Gervais probably doesn't share that agenda but in this day and age he should know that this is how it will be used, and he clearly doesn't care, as he is too busy being defensive and believing his brave edgy comedy god status

Elfking

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2022, 07:07:36 PMI think that is an interesting quote from Ince, and quite sympathetic to Gervais. I don't think Gervais is a bigot. I think he is a lazy, edgy twat who recycles the same "does it offend you, yeah?" jokes. What Ince captures quite perceptively is that the "just a joke" defence doesn't work when right wing people will use your words in memes and internet comments to further their bigoted agenda. Gervais probably doesn't share that agenda but in this day and age he should know that this is how it will be used, and he clearly doesn't care, as he is too busy being defensive and believing his brave edgy comedy god status

Or he's a cowardly bigot knowingly attacking minorities that he knows he can get away with. If you spend half an hour being transphobic and then say "no but seriously, trans rights" and then spend more time making transphobic jokes you know exactly what you're doing. He isn't stupid or lazy, he's hateful.

Kankurette

phes

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2022, 07:07:36 PMI think that is an interesting quote from Ince, and quite sympathetic to Gervais. I don't think Gervais is a bigot. I think he is a lazy, edgy twat who recycles the same "does it offend you, yeah?" jokes. What Ince captures quite perceptively is that the "just a joke" defence doesn't work when right wing people will use your words in memes and internet comments to further their bigoted agenda. Gervais probably doesn't share that agenda but in this day and age he should know that this is how it will be used, and he clearly doesn't care, as he is too busy being defensive and believing his brave edgy comedy god status

His likes and blocking activity makes it quite clear who he is happy to signal boost and suppress. He's a bigoted cunt

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Elfking on May 26, 2022, 07:11:36 PMOr he's a cowardly bigot knowingly attacking minorities that he knows he can get away with. If you spend half an hour being transphobic and then say "no but seriously, trans rights" and then spend more time making transphobic jokes you know exactly what you're doing. He isn't stupid or lazy, he's hateful.

I'm more inclined to agree with this interpretation but to be honest I don't think it really matters whether he believes it or not, the impact is the same he contributes to a culture of bullying and harassment that trans people experience every day. Same with Glinner even if he rolled up and announced it had all been some Joaquin Phoenix esque performance piece the damage he has inflicted would still be done, even if you add "it's just a joke" to the end of hatred it still hurts people.

somersetchris

When Gervais was starting out, a lot of people believed that racism, sexism and homophobia had all been solved and therefore it was okay to make edgy jokes because everyone knew you were being ironic and didn't mean it. To be fair, a lot of people believed that.

Many have realised that not only is this not the case, but also there is a rise of appalling right-wing people who will happily take those 'ironic' jokes at face value. That is the time that you need to stop.

I'm not going to vouch for Gervais either way because I don't know that he's really spoken on it. I do think it's possible that he doesn't mean any of this, although he would have to be walking around with his eyes closed not to realise how much his audience has changed, and what kind of person is taking his clips and sharing them on social media.

I'm not defending him because a) the material is crap and b) I don't think you can hide behind irony any more with the rise of the alt-right. I'm just saying it's possible that's where he's coming from. Doesn't stop him being a lazy hack twat though.

Quote from: phes on May 26, 2022, 07:28:17 PMHis likes and blocking activity makes it quite clear who he is happy to signal boost and suppress. He's a bigoted cunt

I'd have maybe thought about giving him the benefit of the doubt, but...

phes

Even if it were 'just jokes'

I made millions from tearing into this young, marginalised, and largely poor minority

That's some shit you should be doing your tearing into in aid of

Where's their share

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 26, 2022, 07:39:39 PMI'd have maybe thought about giving him the benefit of the doubt, but...

They're all awful, what exactly has been the real world impact of "trans activist ideology"? And how exactly does making lazy transphobic jokes "call it to account" also speaking truth to power? What fucking power

shoulders

He didn't call out any lobby, he made a shit witless punching down joke then said he was pro-trans. None of that contained any social commentary on any lobby. It was just 'this tranny material will get laugh'.

A sad pathetic knobhead with a dwindling fanbase of one eyed acolytes.

neov1974

Nah there's no subplot here
Good on everyone for calling out Gervais for what he is: a hateful bigot
It just shows how out of touch he is with current perceptions that he even vaguely considers it ok to pursue his "jokes", lazy and ignorant and no different from the dinosaurs that preceded him - Lowest common denominator, no better than Bernard Manning ("oh but he could time a joke", Gervais can't even do that)

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: shoulders on May 26, 2022, 08:02:20 PMHe didn't call out any lobby, he made a shit witless punching down joke then said he was pro-trans. None of that contained any social commentary on any lobby. It was just 'this tranny material will get laugh'.

A sad pathetic knobhead with a dwindling fanbase of one eyed acolytes.

What are you basing the dwindling fan base claim on? I used to believe it myself but just look up the sales for this tour and how much Netflix paid him for the special.

shoulders

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 26, 2022, 08:33:24 PMWhat are you basing the dwindling fan base claim on? I used to believe it myself but just look up the sales for this tour and how much Netflix paid him for the special.

Just some stats I pulled out of my arse 👍

greencalx

I see Graham has been cruelly overlooked by the Paul Foot award judges again.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: greencalx on May 26, 2022, 08:52:20 PMI see Graham has been cruelly overlooked by the Paul Foot award judges again.

Given how much time and how many column inches Foot gave Andrew Wakefield's MMR horseshit, he'd probably have loved the medical scaremongering "puberty blockers make kids sterile" garbage Graham et al come up with, had he lived longer.

phantom_power

Weetman comes in late with the shittest hot take of them all:

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1529509177596465155

"Serious talk for a moment. Whether Nish Kumar has a point or not, he sounds genuinely terrifying in that clip. As a woman I'd be scared of a man seemingly so violently angry."

frajer

Yes let's all be calm and rational like Graham Linehan:

<FOOTAGE NOT FOUND>

JamesTC

Saw Nish Kumar at a packed auditorium a few weeks ago.

Saw Graham Linehan begging Elon Musk to unban his Twitter account a few weeks ago.

canadagoose

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2022, 09:20:07 PMWeetman comes in late with the shittest hot take of them all:

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1529509177596465155

"Serious talk for a moment. Whether Nish Kumar has a point or not, he sounds genuinely terrifying in that clip. As a woman I'd be scared of a man seemingly so violently angry."
Another Tinge UK centrist melt. Why are they all so transphobic?

phantom_power

Weetman is the fucking idiotest of all fucking idiots. Apparently she took a test that said she had no racial bias so she uses that "fact" every time she says something racist

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2022, 09:44:12 PMWeetman is the fucking idiotest of all fucking idiots. Apparently she took a test that said she had no racial bias so she uses that "fact" every time she says something racist

She also claims she took an IQ test that saw her rejected from Oxford.

Ferris

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2022, 09:44:12 PMWeetman is the fucking idiotest of all fucking idiots. Apparently she took a test that said she had no racial bias so she uses that "fact" every time she says something racist

Interestingly, I had to do (the same?) IAT things for the Canadian public service and it turns out I have a bias in favour of gay people and racialized citizens. What do I win?

The fact they're entirely unscientific (and I think they're free to take and publicly available even) is irrelevant re: giving me a prize for being so very woke.