Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

genesis duke

Started by madhair60, May 25, 2022, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

love this album, don't care if that makes me basic or whatever. i just think it's really good and nice and exciting. good tunes. alright cheers

TheMonk

It's the bollocks. Their best.
Man Of Our Times is their most overlooked track to these ears. Banger.

Twonty Gostelow

Fantastic album that was all the better for the group's hiatus after the rush job of And Then There Were Three.

Turn It On Again might just be the most deceptively complicated pop song to be a Top 10 hit single too. Weird time changes and it's not until 3 minutes into the song that you get the title hook, which then becomes the outro.

bgmnts

Never got on with Genesis and I think I need to revisit them because I like a bit of Collins and a bit of Gabriel so there must be something there.

I'll start with this album.

Johnboy

I've always loved Turn It On Again and always known that it was on an album called Duke which I've never heard and I'm going to rectify that now.

Turn it On Again - I always put in a category of sort of adult pop 1980 along with Games Without Frontiers and Army Dreamers and January February by Barbara Dickson.
my 7 inch of it which I picked up in a car boot sale recently doesn't sound the greatest, wasn't cut very loud - I presume it sounds decent on LP/CD?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Johnboy on May 25, 2022, 04:19:43 PMmy 7 inch of it which I picked up in a car boot sale recently doesn't sound the greatest, wasn't cut very loud - I presume it sounds decent on LP/CD?

The albums were remixed by Nick Davis 10-15 years ago and not always for the better imo (although they are loud if that's what you want) - I prefer the earlier CD versions. In making some parts clearer he also got rid of other bits altogether - maybe some backing vocals (eg Your Own Special Way on Wind and Wuthering) or keyboard layers (eg Entangled on Trick of the Tail). My first thought was that the band couldn't have possibly approved, but I suppose that's unlikely. If you're not familiar with Duke on CD in the first place you'll probably think any version sounds great though.
(Can't remember who they got to write new liner notes for the Duke remasters, but Jeremy Clarkson and David Baddiel wrote the ones for Selling England and Nursery Cryme respectively. Maybe it was John Major.)

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 25, 2022, 05:51:47 PMThe albums were remixed by Nick Davis 10-15 years ago and not always for the better imo (although they are loud if that's what you want) - I prefer the earlier CD versions. In making some parts clearer he also got rid of other bits altogether - maybe some backing vocals (eg Your Own Special Way on Wind and Wuthering) or keyboard layers (eg Entangled on Trick of the Tail). My first thought was that the band couldn't have possibly approved, but I suppose that's unlikely. If you're not familiar with Duke on CD in the first place you'll probably think any version sounds great though.

Yes, agree that the original mixes are the best, but increasingly difficult to find these days.  The 1994 remasters are a close second.

The best improvement I've heard though is a fan-made version of Heathaze where they added Mellotron strings, a callback to the 70s Genesis sound, and it really is a beautiful addition.  It's a real shame they dropped the Mellotron in favour of the CS-80 sound which dominates Duke.

Kankurette

I feel less embarrassed for going on a The Way We Walk binge now. I know Gabriel!Genesis are the ones we're supposed to like but dammit, I like Collins!Genesis. My mum played The Way We Walk to death when I was growing up in Brighton, I blame her (and Jesus He Knows Me gives me flashbacks to watching her dad dancing at a party in 1996).

Also Mama is creepy as balls.

Phil was already starting to lose his voice though by the time they did The Way We Walk tour.  Duke is probably Peak Phil, and for me their last great album (although there are various standout tracks from the later albums too, even the fuck-it-we-sold-out stuff like Land of Confusion).

And Mama's a great track off an otherwise mediocre album, and yeah it's probably the creepiest hook of any song I can think of.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 26, 2022, 10:43:56 AMYes, agree that the original mixes are the best, but increasingly difficult to find these days.  The 1994 remasters are a close second.

The best improvement I've heard though is a fan-made version of Heathaze where they added Mellotron strings, a callback to the 70s Genesis sound, and it really is a beautiful addition.  It's a real shame they dropped the Mellotron in favour of the CS-80 sound which dominates Duke.

I was half-expecting something a bit shonky but that's epic, beautifully done.

non capisco

Mama is one of the most unusual hit singles I can think of, actually. Phil Collins barking out a mirthless, maniacal laugh then making a noise like a goblin with a hangover. It's a bold hook.

TheMonk

[[/quote] Can't remember who they got to write new liner notes for the Duke remasters, but Jeremy Clarkson and David Baddiel wrote the ones for Selling England and Nursery Cryme respectively. Maybe it was John Major.)
[/quote]
I feel like I don't want to know about their political leanings too much. I don't know but I think I don't want to.
According to Piers Morgan he and Rutherford are mates.
This editorial sounds EXACTLY like an Alan Partridge piece.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-9716779/PIERS-MORGAN-sexy-bearded-bloke-pontificates-cakes.html

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: TheMonk on May 27, 2022, 01:51:15 AMThis editorial sounds EXACTLY like an Alan Partridge piece.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-9716779/PIERS-MORGAN-sexy-bearded-bloke-pontificates-cakes.html

Quote from: Piers MorganMy own supergroup would be Freddie and Whitney on vocals, Stevie on keyboards, John Bonham on drums, and Slash, Prince and Keith Richards on guitar.

Kankurette

Prince didn't die for this.
Quote from: non capisco on May 26, 2022, 11:55:49 PMMama is one of the most unusual hit singles I can think of, actually. Phil Collins barking out a mirthless, maniacal laugh then making a noise like a goblin with a hangover. It's a bold hook.
Yeah, the laugh and goat noise, coupled with the drums and that spooky keyboard, gives it a sense of impending doom. It's quite long as well.

(The Way We Walk was also my introduction to Genesis.)

Pauline Walnuts

<tag>Genesis? Puke!</tag>

Bennett Brauer

Really good Q&A piece with Tony Banks today which shows him to be a GBOL, despite looking/sounding a bit like Tony Blair
https://www.vulture.com/2023/03/interview-tony-banks-genesis-phil-collins.html

Good to hear him singling out Blood on the Rooftops as a favourite, and saying his solo in Robbery Assault and Battery was his trickiest. I think that one's my favourite of his solos, with Phil C sounding very Brand X-ish underneath it.

iamcoop

I walked past Mike Rutherford on the Quayside in Newcastle a while back when they were playing the arena. I said to my partner "that was Mike Rutherford" and she said "Oh Cool".

#wickedwhispers