Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars presents: The Middle-Aged Obi-Wan Kenobi Chronicles

Started by Bad Ambassador, May 26, 2022, 02:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

'When I left you I was but the learner'

'Left me? I left you ffs'

'Er, it's true from a certain point of view?'

'Nope'

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 27, 2022, 07:07:31 PM'When I left you I was but the learner'

'Left me? I left you ffs'

'Er, it's true from a certain point of view?'

'Nope'

They're already talking about a second series, so they'll probably meet another five times before New Hope.

Dr Rock

bakabaka

Quote from: Thursday on June 27, 2022, 06:59:46 PMAlso I was completely baffled why your lady was still alive,
Just because she got a light sabre to the heart doesn't mean she can't get up and back to her (now pointless*) obsession within a day. What they didn't tell us in the films was that when you're hit with a light sabre it cauterizes the wound and floods you with mediclorians that speed up your healing 1000-fold. A design flaw, some would say.

*It was just to suck up Vader, wasn't it? So once he's tried to kill her, why would she continue?

phantom_power

Quote from: bakabaka on June 28, 2022, 08:17:06 AMIt was just to suck up Vader, wasn't it?

I think it was revenge for Vader killing all her friends. He was going to kill his kid

elliszeroed

A Vader series, in the right hands, would be interesting. Showing how he becomes darker and darker, whether he ever has doubts, and how he goes to the toilet. Does he have any concubines? Does he enjoy sports? Will he ever find love again, only to have the Emperor cuckhold him and make Daisy Skywalker?

Dex Sawash

Glebe

Bently Sheds

Obi-Wan series 2

Vader: Obi-Wan. Last time we met you pelted me with a ton of rubble using only your mind. How did you do that?

Obi-Wan: I used The Force, Darth

Vader: Well, I've certainly learned something new today. I guess you - as a Master Jedi - really taught me a fact. I am indeed a learner of that fact.

Star Wars nerds: Hooray!

Fishfinger

I appreciated the finale fight, but apparently it's not even original.

QuoteHowever, it's also a scene we've seen before. Viewers have been quick to notice parallels between this mask-cutting convo and a similar sequence in popular animated series Star Wars Rebels, specifically the finale to season 2 in 2016.

More like lazy sword.

Glebe

AUNT BERU: Luke's just not a farmer. He's got too much of his father in him.

UNCLE OWEN: Yeah leave it Beru.

Dr Rock

'Owen never told me what happened to my father'

Why not? Why not just say 'your mother died in childbirth. Your father was a great man, but it changed him, he works for the empire now'

No lies, an adopted kid could understand that.

phantom_power

RLM made a good point about why Luke and Leia are seen as so special. We know they are instrumental in helping the rebellion beat the empire but in the time OWK is set no-one should know that. They are just the kids of a bloke who was good but turned bad. If anything they would have more likelihood of turning bad rather than good

The prequels really did fuck up the whole continuity and plotting of Star Wars. Why send Leia off somewhere and change her name but send Luke back to Tatooine and give him the same surname? I know it is a big galaxy but still

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd never considered it before, but why do the Larses raise Luke as their nephew instead of their son? He was given to them as a newborn baby, so it's not like he'd know the difference.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 01, 2022, 12:11:33 PMI'd never considered it before, but why do the Larses raise Luke as their nephew instead of their son? He was given to them as a newborn baby, so it's not like he'd know the difference.

Because when Star Wars was written his backstory was different and he probably came to them when he was older and his father was killed by Vader, like Obi Wan said

Neomod

Just finished this. Totally redundant as others have said but I am looking forward to the Kenobi and Jinn (Deceased) second season where our reunited duo Jeff Kenobi and Marty Jinn go around Tatooine solving crimes.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 30, 2022, 07:52:39 AMObi-Wan series 2

Vader: Obi-Wan. Last time we met you pelted me with a ton of rubble using only your mind. How did you do that?

Obi-Wan: I used The Force, Darth

Vader: Well, I've certainly learned something new today. I guess you - as a Master Jedi - really taught me a fact. I am indeed a learner of that fact.

Star Wars nerds: Hooray!

Exactly.

Star Wars: 'When I left you I was but a learner. Now I am the master'

'Only a master of evil Darth'

'NO AND THE FLYING RUBBLE THING!'

Mobbd

Just catching up with this now. Halfway through Episode 4 and fuck me it's dull. Not bad exactly but really bland and unstimulating. I'm not sure why the race to save a little kid from being immediately tortured should feel boring, but it does.

I have no objection to "unnecessary" Star Wars stories being told but I do wish they were more fun than this. (And to be fair to the franchise, the other chapters all are.)

Does anyone know how successful this has been in terms of views? Given how dull it is and how you need to opt in to D+ to watch it, I keep thinking "who the heck watches this?" but I suppose people must be watching it given the amount of money they command. And I did see it marketed.

Do fans like it? Will people really queue up at conventions to get a signed photograph of that Grand Inquisitor character? I understand completionism but I expect a lot of people, even Star Wars fans, know where to draw the line.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 01, 2022, 09:30:41 AMRLM made a good point about why Luke and Leia are seen as so special. We know they are instrumental in helping the rebellion beat the empire but in the time OWK is set no-one should know that. They are just the kids of a bloke who was good but turned bad. If anything they would have more likelihood of turning bad rather than good

Probably best to keep an eye on them. In case they start displaying worrying tendencies like levitating their mates who don't want to be levitated.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mobbd on July 19, 2022, 07:49:27 PM...Does anyone know how successful this has been in terms of views?

Massively successful.

In the States, although we don't know how the entire series has performed yet, for the episodes we do, it's  been more watched than the other live-action Star Wars shows in its diets month. There is a caveat that the other shows grew their audience.

In the UK, the show has been in the Barb charts for most watched shows twice - streaming shows have really struggled with this; for example, although Bridgerton smashed Netflix's own records, no episodes made it into the Barb top 50.

So yeah, it's been looking good.

Malcy

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 19, 2022, 08:05:18 PMIn the UK, the show has been in the Barb charts for most watched shows twice - streaming shows have really struggled with this; for example, although Bridgerton smashed Netflix's own records, no episodes made it into the Barb top 50.

So yeah, it's been looking good.

I like to hear that. There's this HUGE assumption that nobody watches anything other than Netflix these days and it's getting boring to hear.

Similarly the people that say "omg who still buys cd's/DVD's" etc.

lipsink

I've only watched the first ep of this and I can't really put my finger on it but it just seems a bit shit. Does it get better?

The thing about the Mandalorian was it seemed made by people who knew what they were doing and they didn't seem fussed with dumbing it down. This just seems made by people who are a bit thick.

This is where someone tells me it was made by the same people.

Is the Bobba Fett thing worth watching?

Alberon

Quote from: lipsink on July 20, 2022, 09:47:06 AMIs the Bobba Fett thing worth watching?

Only for the episode an a half where it gets bored of followed Fett and goes see what The Mandalorian is up to instead.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: lipsink on July 20, 2022, 09:47:06 AMI've only watched the first ep of this and I can't really put my finger on it but it just seems a bit shit. Does it get better?
I liked it well enough overall and thought it ended strongly, considering how pointless it all was. I was watching at a weekly pace though. I expect binging it would be less enjoyable.

Malcy

There is a fan edit that has stripped it down to a 2 hour film. Read that it was more in line with the film they had planned before Solo put them off.

Dex Sawash

The real test will be in a few years will it pass the phantom menace test (turn off after 30 minutes).

I like all 3 recent series just fine but am not really bothered by these plot holes and inconsistencies your cleverer watchers react to.

I watched a lot of eps of Clone Wars cartoon for kids but that was just background viewing without absorbing while CaBbin', not really watchable. The Rebels series was much better and had lots of Mecha Darth Maul who was shit and pointless in film but good more interesting in kids show.