Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WimbleWrong 2022 - First Round Draw and Rules

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 19, 2022, 01:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

5 first round matches, with three byes. Seeds are randomised, I love you all equally.

1. Each match will consist of two shots per player, except the final in which there are three shots per player.

2. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.

3. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size, and must be still images.

4. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite in the game thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours. In the event of a tie after the voting period has passed, the voting time will be extended by 12 hours, and if after that there is no winner, the next player to get a vote will win the tie.

5. Common sense prevails in image choice.

6. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

New bonus rule: if you're going to use one of those AI-generated things as part of your image, then make it good as the voters may well judge you harshly.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

First round starts Monday June 27th!!

TheGingerAlien

Cheers FM, looking forward to it. Best of luck to all wrong'uns!

Spoon of Ploff

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

:'(

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on June 14, 2022, 07:45:32 PMFortunately, I didn't get that lucrative summer contract. So please sign me up to be knocked out in the first round.
Spoiler alert
Actually, it's probably for the best, because it's a stupid game anyway and I'm taking my racket home I'm knackered and although I didn't get that job I will still have plenty on my plate over the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone who is taking part.
[close]

Famous Mortimer

Oh shit, sorry I missed your post in the thread PDDD. Are you sure? There are three byes so three open positions, basically.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 20, 2022, 03:12:48 PMOh shit, sorry I missed your post in the thread PDDD. Are you sure? There are three byes so three open positions, basically.
No worries, it's easily done. And yes, I'm sure: I'm going to have way too much to do as it is. Maybe next year.

Ferris

Shit, only just saw this. When's my deadline?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on June 20, 2022, 05:17:35 PMShit, only just saw this. When's my deadline?

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 19, 2022, 01:49:27 PMAnd a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

First round starts Monday June 27th!!

Normally the host comes back to announce a deadline for when the serves are expected, e.g.:

Quote from: selectivememory on April 15, 2020, 11:58:10 AMSo then, here's the draw. As always, those named first in the tie will serve, and you have until midday Saturday 18/04 (BST) to prepare and post your serves.

Tie 1: alan nagsworth vs Piggyoioi
Tie 2: wasp_f15ting vs touchingcloth
Tie 3: ZoyzaSorris vs Small Man Big Horse
Tie 4: Cerys vs Wonderful Butternut
Tie 5: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops vs Ian Drunken Smurf
Tie 6: madhair60 vs selectivememory
Tie 7: finnquark vs Crabwalk
Tie 8: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien vs pancreas
Tie 9: Miles vs Lordofthefiles
Tie 10: Kryton vs BlodwynPig
Tie 11: Tension Knob vs hedgehog90
Tie 12: Bazooka vs kittens
Tie 13: Spoon of Ploff vs Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse
Tie 14: Pdine vs Prison Biscuits
Tie 15: Johnny Yesno vs Absorb the anus burn
Tie 16: PlanktonSideburns vs tookish
Tie 17: hamfist vs QDRPHNC
Tie 18: rue the polywhirl vs idunnosomename
Tie 19: Old Thrashbarg vs Dr Trouser

Before we get going, I'd like to remind everyone that your shots need to be either 600 x 800 or 800 x 600 pixels in size. It's not a hard thing to get right, so please make sure you do. Thanks.

Servers might want to PM their opponents once they've played their first shots. Most people seem to have been online though in the last couple of days, so hopefully no one will forget that they're playing.

Alright, get cracking then. Best of luck to everyone!

Spoon of Ploff

Sooo... that picture can't be the first round draw, just an example of how it will look..?

otherwise first shot players have over a week to prepare their image..?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

touchingcloth

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 20, 2022, 07:24:25 PMSooo... that picture can't be the first round draw, just an example of how it will look..?

otherwise first shot players have over a week to prepare their image..?

Yeah, I think it would be good to change the drawn names or bring the start date forward a little.

But it's not the biggest issue cos they're only the serves and the contest hasn't really started. In a way we've all had a year to prepare already, just some of us have been given an extra handful of days.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 20, 2022, 07:24:25 PMotherwise first shot players have over a week to prepare their image..?

Yeah, could generate thousands of Dall-E mini images in that time

Famous Mortimer

Good point on preparation. Ah crap. I'll re-do the draw at a more appropriate time.

Old Thrashbarg

If the draw is being redone anyway, how about having the first round be six matches with the highest scoring loser going through? Means we've then only got one bye, rather than nearly half of the competitors in the next round being there by default.

Ideally someone else would step up in the next few days so we've got an even number of competitors and everyone can have a first round match.

Ferris

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 21, 2022, 01:58:07 PMIf the draw is being redone anyway, how about having the first round be six matches with the highest scoring loser going through? Means we've then only got one bye, rather than nearly half of the competitors in the next round being there by default.

Ideally someone else would step up in the next few days so we've got an even number of competitors and everyone can have a first round match.

Good idea, this.

Not to be too demanding, but tagging folk so they know a post has gone up and the match has started would be great, but understand if that's a lot of work.

TheGingerAlien

What happens if everyone has you on mute? Can folks still vote without seeing your work? Asking for a particularly unpopular friend

Famous Mortimer

Someone tell me what TheGingerAlien said please, I can't see it :)

Thanks everyone for making much better suggestions than the one I had. Six games, one bye and one highest-scoring loser sounds much better than the system I had.

And thanks for not immediately going "Mort's fucked it", at least not out loud. I'll amend the rules and re-post them later.

Ferris

@Famous Mortimer I think everyone is so thankful for someone to take the lead (or I am at least) that you're riding on a shitload of goodwill.

You've really got to make an error (example: not disqualifying all my opponents on spurious technicalities and crowning me as winner) to get any stick.

touchingcloth

Amen to what @Ferris said. If anyone was genuinely annoyed with minor admin kerfuffles affecting solely bald, middle-aged, mentally ill men with tight penises on the internet then, well, I guess they should win an award for being The Most CaB.

Mr Farenheit

I had a PM from Glebe saying we are both in 'Team LAMBERT & BUTLER' and we're being sponsored and will receive 'many boxes' of cigs if we win but we had better win or 'things won't go well for for you, sunshine'. The sponsors (whom I have not heard from directly) have apparently ordered me to let him through if I'm drawn against him.

Is this a usual thing? Have any other players been strong-armed into signing up for a tobacco based wimble-cartel?

Famous Mortimer

Let's try again!

First up, the rules:

1. Each match will consist of two shots per player, except the final in which there are three shots per player.

2. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.

3. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size, and must be still images.

4. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite in the game thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours. In the event of a tie after the voting period has passed, the voting time will be extended by 12 hours, and if after that there is no winner, the next player to get a vote will win the tie.

5. Common sense prevails in image choice.

6. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

7. In some cases it is necessary for one or more high-scoring losers to progress to the next round. High-scoring losers are simply those who get the most votes out of all the losing players in the round. If it comes down to two players who have the same number of votes, the player who lost by the smaller margin will progress as the high-scoring loser.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

Also, be careful if you incorporate one of those AI-generated thingies, as voters may judge you harshly.

There will be!

6 first round matches.

One bye.

And one highest-scoring loser making their way to the second round.

The above "draw" is null and void, as it was helpfully pointed out that this gives the server a several-day head start. Draw will be announced on...Friday!

Ferris

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 21, 2022, 05:37:30 PMI had a PM from Glebe saying we are both in 'Team LAMBERT & BUTLER' and we're being sponsored and will receive 'many boxes' of cigs if we win but we had better win or 'things won't go well for for you, sunshine'. The sponsors (whom I have not heard from directly) have apparently ordered me to let him through if I'm drawn against him.

Is this a usual thing? Have any other players been strong-armed into signing up for a tobacco based wimble-cartel?

I got a similar message, but financing was to be provided by Carling and the boys at AB InBev. Presumably Glebe has lined up multiple sponsors, which is just canny business tbh.

touchingcloth

To clarify @Famous Mortimer does this...

QuoteDraw will be announced on...Friday!

...imply that serves are to be completed by Monday, 72 hours after the draw is announced?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

@Famous Mortimer fair play to you for organising this. Time to do a few warm-up images!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 22, 2022, 12:36:36 AMTo clarify @Famous Mortimer does this...

...imply that serves are to be completed by Monday, 72 hours after the draw is announced?
Sounds about right. Is that okay for people?

touchingcloth

I like the symmetry of it. 3 days between announcement of drawn and the draw, then 3 days between the draw and the last of the serves. Means that your thing of WW begins on the 27th still holds true if we count from the last of the serves being made as well :)

Dr Trouser

Not really sure what's going on but I'm fucked until next Tuesday so I'd rather not serve if that's ok?

Famous Mortimer

Dr Trouser, I'll see what I can do.

I announce the draw on Friday, and first serves should be completed by Monday, which is the first day of Wimbledon? I think? Hopefully that's alright, anyway.

touchingcloth

Imagine if the first match of Wimbledon takes 3 days between the ball being served hitting the server's racquet and then their opponent's.